Government Mandated Private Surveillance…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I hope this is knocked down as unconstitutional.

The city will soon make all banks, restaurants, hotels, and retail outlets within its jurisdiction install and maintain surveillance systems at the businesses’ own expense.

Time to push back and push back hard.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    If the businesses are unfortunate enough to have an ongoing issue with constant power sabotage, the cameras are worthless. It would be a shame for businesses to go under because they can’t seem to maintain a constant power flow to keep the doors open.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I could see a City mandating the installation of video cameras as part of a building permit for a business and what they need to cover. There are so many things you have to have when building out a business and obtaining the requisite building/business permits. However, involuntary access IS a violation and I don't know how any City attorney would allow this to come to fruition.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I could see a City mandating the installation of video cameras as part of a building permit for a business and what they need to cover. There are so many things you have to have when building out a business and obtaining the requisite building/business permits. However, involuntary access IS a violation and I don't know how any City attorney would allow this to come to fruition.
    Just like sidewalks. Pull a permit? Project MUST include a sidewalk if you dont already have one. Regardless of whether you want one or not. New Sewer connection? New sidewalk. Remodeling the interior? New sidwalk. New stick built minibarn in the back yard? New sidewalk.

And yes, forced access will be an uphill fight. Buf if they can force the install, they can at least fall back on a search warrant.
    And how many will properly maintain the systems? And will the language of the bill require minimum camera specs and storage duration? Otherwise there's gonna be a BUNCH of $50 cameras installed that wont show sh** on playback. "Yes a car drove by at 4:03am. No clue what kind, but it was a car.

And how many will set and forget? "sorry officer, camera went down. No idea when because we dont check."

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I just kinda skimmed that article:

“Cameras must be government-approved and cover every entrance and parking lot 24/7. Property owners must also store the digital files for 30 days at their own expense. If anything breaks, they must pay for repairs or risk $500 daily fines. The city makes no exceptions for vandalism, power outages, or technical glitches.

The city even has a workaround to the Constitution’s Fourth Amendment, which controls search and seizure in the United States. The new ordinance, which will take effect on Sept. 26, requires property owners to hand over video files to the government upon demand. “If they don’t cooperate, we have to get a search warrant,” Richmond Heights Police Chief Calvin Williams tolda local news station.”

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    No different than the local government requiring property owners to maintain the sidewalks in front of their house.

Or are you under the impression that the government serves the people? Because it is actually the other way around.
    :pimp:

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Just like sidewalks. Pull a permit? Project MUST include a sidewalk if you dont already have one. Regardless of whether you want one or not. New Sewer connection? New sidewalk. Remodeling the interior? New sidwalk. New stick built minibarn in the back yard? New sidewalk.

And yes, forced access will be an uphill fight. Buf if they can force the install, they can at least fall back on a search warrant.
    And how many will properly maintain the systems? And will the language of the bill require minimum camera specs and storage duration? Otherwise there's gonna be a BUNCH of $50 cameras installed that wont show sh** on playback. "Yes a car drove by at 4:03am. No clue what kind, but it was a car.

And how many will set and forget? "sorry officer, camera went down. No idea when because we dont check."
    Don't know why they're worried about catching anybody. Prosecutor just turns 'em loose. Why bother?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Even in Marion County? If so maybe its only for commercial property? I know we had to build one at our office and it was ridiculous. Now ours is the only section on our street.
    Yep in Marion County. Now maybe because they were putting in the sanitary sewers for the whole street they decided not to do it, but I don't really know.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep in Marion County. Now maybe because they were putting in the sanitary sewers for the whole street they decided not to do it, but I don't really know.
    Oh. Ok. THEY were doing it. Not surprised. I can see them skipping it. That means THEY would have to pay for the sidewalks.

Top Bottom