• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gutpile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    folks,

I am looking for a GPS that is a handheld with TOPO capability, AND can do voice directions like a tomtom or smartphone it needs to use AA batt and have an electronic compass and decent battery life yet can be connected to power in a vehicle..........and can store satelight imagery........... and pretty tough

erice1984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    South Carolina

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    i wouldn't rely on a GPS. My best advice. Get a small light weight laptop and install google earth. It might not pin-point your location but it'll help with roads, land, terretory, identify locations like hospitals, banks, food stores, gas stations.

and if for some reason SHTF, you have a way to connect to free internet. Wifi.

:twocents:

erice1984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    South Carolina
    i wouldn't rely on a GPS. My best advice. Get a small light weight laptop and install google earth. It might not pin-point your location but it'll help with roads, land, terretory, identify locations like hospitals, banks, food stores, gas stations.

I think google earth may rely on an internet connection to retrieve maps, terrain, etc.. (correct me if I am wrong).

Given infrastructure still works. GPS on mobile devices, if not true GPS, rely on triangulation from signal towers, need at least 3 to get an okay idea on location. If you are being tracked or trying to evade I would advise against.

Otherwise save some maps to your mobile device and have some sort of a printed map for your BOL/AOP (aera of operation) with some things noted on it. Say if you needed supplies (random stuff) to fix things generally, you could easily consult "The Map".

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    folks,

I am looking for a GPS that is a handheld with TOPO capability, AND can do voice directions like a tomtom or smartphone it needs to use AA batt and have an electronic compass and decent battery life yet can be connected to power in a vehicle..........and can store satelight imagery........... and pretty tough

I have a Garmin Oregon 550T but it doesn't do anything with voice commands. Garmin has a whole lot of options.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN

I'm not normally one to call advice bad advice but I don't see this as an option. A really good GPS costs around the same price and weighs MUCH less. Unless said laptop has wifi access it will be useless and a GPS won't. In a SHTF scenario where will the wifi come from? Also due to size a GPS is much more easily accessible and can be strapped to your wrist or in a small pouch on your pack allowing you to move while checking it and not have to take off your pack to see what you need.

So to me, the GPS is definitely the way to go. I'm looking into the Garmin Rino series as they have built-in two way radios that allow you to see the location of a friend using one by pinging their location when they activate their radio. One could argue that it's a security risk but it could also be a force multiplier at the same time.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I have a garmin e-trex and a couple garmin Rhinos. Many new gps handhelds are saddled with rechargeable batteries. Anyone who relies solely on gps for navigation will - eventually - wind up walking in circles. I have one handheld gps in my BOB; I have three compasses.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky

Don't rely on a GPS but rely on a laptop and Google Earth? Awesome

Ummmm, yeah, that's the same thing I was thinking. If GPS is dead, I really wouldn't be putting all my hopes on anything else electronic/computer/sat based.

Top Bottom