• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    My son graduates from IU's Kelley School of Business this spring. I've always enjoyed spending time with him shooting, with 4H, Boy Scouts, and at the shooting range.

I'm considering building him an AR as a graduation present.

What kind of components would you suggest to make it unique/special/appropriate for the occasion?

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    All kinds of options but first how much are you wanting to spend on said build?

I'm thinking no more than $1000ish, but I definitely want to build it.

And definitely an AR build for this, though I might look into the PSA AK for myself.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    My son graduates from IU's Kelley School of Business this spring. I've always enjoyed spending time with him shooting, with 4H, Boy Scouts, and at the shooting range.

I'm considering building him an AR as a graduation present.

What kind of components would you suggest to make it unique/special/appropriate for the occasion?
    Some questions on my end.
    Does he already have an AR?
    If so what is it like? Home built or store bought? What, if any, upgrades or accessories does it have.
    If you have an AR has he shot it? If you have multiple AR's which one does he favor?
    What do you think he would use the gift one for? HD? Paper punching? Long range? Short range?
    How far into the gun are you wanting to build? (Completely stripped upper and lower or just a stripped lower?)

It's very easy to just say "Get the Colt or the Daniel Defense or "___________". Most everyone of my AR's I've built for specific style or reason. There are some upgrades that go across the board but some that are very specific to each gun.
    Dan

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Dan has summed it up↑↑↑↑ Some of my Greatest Joys were passing some of my Dad's Guns on to my Son. Do you have any Family Firearms to pass on? Is there one of yours your Son is fond of? Maybe something form you, then build yourself the New one.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    This would be the first rifle he has owned. I have a RRA NMA4 that he really likes, but that one is mine!:): With .223/5.56, we mostly punch paper here in Indiana, but that's not their only purpose/use.

As far as this build goes, I was thinking of going the 80% lower path, getting it engraved to suit the occasion, then adding a completed upper.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    This would be the first rifle he has owned. I have a RRA NMA4 that he really likes, but that one is mine!:): With .223/5.56, we mostly punch paper here in Indiana, but that's not their only purpose/use.

As far as this build goes, I was thinking of going the 80% lower path, getting it engraved to suit the occasion, then adding a completed upper.

Nice. The best price and quality on 80%'s I've found is from https://www.80-lower.com/ They are in the old Fort Harrison area. Great people to work with. When you're ready to have it engraved I would highly suggest Wendall at Indy Laser Engraving. He can do it while you wait.

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    I have done something similar for my boys, granted they are both under two. I bought lowers that someday we will build together. Maybe present him the project saying you will research it together and you will fund the build. I would rather build a rifle with my dad than him give me one he built.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I don't personally think I would go with an 80% lower. Price difference is not a whole lot, and there are BATF restrictions on transferring and /or later selling of a homemade firearm. Just not worth the hassle. I would buy a decent lower and have it engraved.

I just finished assembling my first AR. Although I have many firearms I do not really care for the 5.56 cal. I did build a lower up for an LR-308 a couple of years ago and purchased a DPMS upper with SS bull barrel. I do like the high power rounds like .308, 30-06, Russian 8x54R, .303, 6.5 X 55, 8mm Mauser etc,,etc,.. But I did purchase a couple of other AR lowers, don't know what I will build them into..

It has been asked before what he prefers, does he want a bench rest type 20" bull barrel for long range target shooting? A lightweight carbine or or mid length rifle? Answering these questions will determine what components you want. At a gun show recently I purchased an 5.56 Wylde chamber 18" SS spiral grooved barrel for $140, and found a slim 14" free float Key Mod rail for $80, I bought the bolt from my build from AIM (after researching the Rifle site here and finding several recommendations). You might want to look at the Rifle Forum on this site and do some research, lot of pretty experienced guys there willing to share their knowledge.

Top Bottom