• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Pronouncing words like "Mountain" as "Mou-In" or "Martin" as "Mar-In" The "T" isn't supposed to be silent.

I think it's mostly a Millennial thing
    And its seeping into professional speakers. There is a young copy reader on WFYI radio that does that. Drives me nuts. (though I listen to them less and less now due to their sickening left lean)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you are a Grammar Nazi, (or just want to get better at punctuation) this is a good book:

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation

Wiki:
    The title of the book is a syntactic ambiguity‍—‌a verbal fallacy arising from an ambiguous or erroneous grammatical construction‍—‌and derived from a joke (a variant on a "bar joke") about bad punctuation:

A panda walks into a café. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires two shots in the air.

"Why?" asks the confused waiter, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

"I'm a panda," he says at the door. "Look it up."

The waiter turns to the relevant entry in the manual and, sure enough, finds an explanation.

"Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."

The joke turns on the ambiguity of the final sentence fragment. As intended by the author, "eats" is a verb, while "shoots" and "leaves" are the verb's objects: a panda's diet consists of shoots and leaves. However, the erroneous introduction of the comma gives the mistaken impression that the sentence fragment comprises three verbs listing in sequence the panda's characteristic conduct: it eats, then it shoots, and finally it leaves.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Seen and saw are used incorrectly by people more times in a day than I can count.
    Second place is probably THEY WAS!!

OTHERS:
    The kids come over last night
    He never said nothin

Top Bottom