Grandpappy's 1911A1 - should I be shooting it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    By jingo, you're right! I was told all along it was a 1945 and never bothered to check. Thanks coolgunsite.

Like I said before, don't store it in the holster. It is a very nice looking example. Is the holster original too? It looks brand new.

If it looks as good in person as it looks in the pics, I imagine it would draw the upper end of value, especially if that is a period holster.

newdave61

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2015
    Avon
    I'm not sure about the holster. He had it when I first saw the gun 25 years ago.

Dad kept it in the holster, I keep it on the nightstand or naked in a safe.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm not sure about the holster. He had it when I first saw the gun 25 years ago.

Dad kept it in the holster, I keep it on the nightstand or naked in a safe.

I would keep it in the safe away from any accidental moisture like my cats did with my 1911. It is too nice of an example to take to chance. Also, it might be worth your while to have it appraised and insured. I know you would never sell it but if something dire happened like fire or theft, at least you could retrieve it's value.

newdave61

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2015
    Avon
    I would keep it in the safe away from any accidental moisture like my cats did with my 1911. It is too nice of an example to take to chance. Also, it might be worth your while to have it appraised and insured. I know you would never sell it but if something dire happened like fire or theft, at least you could retrieve it's value.

Sound advice. How does one go about getting a firearm appraised, go to an established gunsmith? Auction house?

If our cat did anything like that it would quickly be an ex-feline.

newdave61

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2015
    Avon
    If you have no knowledge of the 1911 I can help you with this. I have a Colt from near the same era. We shoot it on occasion.

If your gun has been sitting for a long time it needs to be serviced as in stripped and cleaned/lubed. Not a difficult process for someone that has done it.

I see you are located in Avon. Not far from me. If you would like some help learning the process of caring for this Heirloom PM me and I will donate some time. I have done this for a few Ingo members with war era 1911's. I enjoy doing it. Love the history.

Feel free.

-CM-

Just left CM's place after he applied some of his lovin' (to the 1911, you pervs). Almost a different pistol now. The slide and trigger are smooth as silk as compared to before.

BIG thanks dude. Nice to meet you and get to talk about stuff.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just left CM's place after he applied some of his lovin' (to the 1911, you pervs). Almost a different pistol now. The slide and trigger are smooth as silk as compared to before.

BIG thanks dude. Nice to meet you and get to talk about stuff.

Your gun is one of the nicest examples I have seen for a while from that time period. It is a good one. No where near the end of it's duty cycle.
    Thanks for letting me fondle and slobber on it.....:):

newdave61

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2015
    Avon
    only thing that needs added is keep the ammo to 825FPS and under Round Ball and it will be just fine.......

here is a 1918 Remington UMC.......

14keh03.jpg

Very cool.

The UMC I'm firing is 836fps. Should be OK right?

Top Bottom