• ...and so much more!
  • xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    +1 on the Cricket.

If you want him to be able to shoot at a very young age, the Cricket, Chipmunk, Rascal, etc... are a great starter rifle. Yes, he might get bored after 2 years and be ready for an upgrade, but it's a great first step. Lever action requires a bit more strength and knowledge than single-shot lightweight bolt-action.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Well from an heirloom aspect, I think I'm going with a Henry. Would love to get him a Browning BL22 but don't want to create a gun snob too early
    That's a good thing, when they grow up they buy higher quality firearms.
    I would suggest you put both the Henry and The Browning in your hands before you make a decision sir.
    Pull the magazine follower out of the Browning and look at it, that will tell you the quality difference between the two.
    Then cycle both of them.
    Enjoy the search.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Oh
    That's a good thing, when they grow up they buy higher quality firearms.
    I would suggest you put both the Henry and The Browning in your hands before you make a decision sir.
    Pull the magazine follower out of the Browning and look at it, that will tell you the quality difference between the two.
    Then cycle both of them.
    Enjoy the search.
    I'm crystal clear on both. I have a Henry and my dad has the Browning. The Henry is a really nice gun, but the Browning is definitely higher end. Never know, I may end up getting the Browning. I/we have pretty much always had Browning's.

The kid will have plenty opportunity to shoot B guns. Great grandad, grandad, and his momma all shoot Browning's. His daddy shoots a Benelli but I don't hold it against him

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Oh

I'm crystal clear on both. I have a Henry and my dad has the Browning. The Henry is a really nice gun, but the Browning is definitely higher end. Never know, I may end up getting the Browning. I/we have pretty much always had Browning's.

The kid will have plenty opportunity to shoot B guns. Great grandad, grandad, and his momma all shoot Browning's. His daddy shoots a Benelli but I don't hold it against him
    Excellent, have fun.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Heres the two Chipmonks I bought my boys when they were little, The blue was from the first company, Rouge Rifle Co and its a deluxe in 22LR.
    The bull stainless is from the second company when two brothers bought the company from the old man when he retired. It took a year to order and receive this rifle, Its also the deluxe model in 17M2, no sights came with it.
    And yes the scope is to big, all I could find then was a VXIII, Leopold would not build me a satin stainless VX1, not even through there custom shop.
    So yea, I started him off as a snob. Keystone now owns the Chipmonk rifle.

The bottom was my brothers and my first target rifle to shoot with 4H and FFA and then in HS. My dad took a brand new Annie Match 54 in 1967 and pushed it through a bandsaw so it would fit his sons.
    I cut it again for mine when they hit JHS. Its in line to get a more modern ambi stock on it next year.

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Do yourself and your grandkid a favor….. don’t get the cricket/chipmunk whatever with the extra plunger to cock. Get the one that only has the bolt like a normal bolt action.

Top Bottom