• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This was what I was responding to with my post. "Learn to shoot with" type of rifle

Now the OP mentions down the line he wants to get something like the rascal for the initial learning process, but also an heirloom, to which yes, a Henry would be a fine heirloom for sure!

Kudos to you for wanting to set them up in the future. In the end, that's what matters
    Yep after I saw the first few responses, I knew I had worded the OP kinda vague. I needed to be more clear on my intentions.

There will be something like a cricket to give the kids his first experience shooting. Something he can use to reinforce safety, aiming, squeezing the trigger etc. But assuming he will have interests in shooting frequently, I want something that will last him his lifetime. This would be a gun that I probably won't gift to him until he's around 9yo.
    The kid is no doubt going to be around the shooting sports. His momma absolutely loves trap shooting and hunting. His dad loves to hunt and has taken a real interest in all the clays games. And well, I introduced both of them to the shotgun sports and hunt with them both.

Oh and my wife has already given me the green light to buy whatever I think is appropriate and within our budget.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Bought a Cricket when the 3 daughters were little. Taught them to shoot then let relatives use it for years, it always came back. Now the grandsons have it permanently. They are old enough now to use adult size rifles so they are getting trained with them.

Hope it gets passed on to their children. The time spent with them is precious and never wasted.

Don

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    That means I'm looking for something that they can keep and enjoy the rest of their life.
    first gun they can keep the rest of their life -First grandchild? Believe me there will be many more. Good starter small gun that fits that can be handed down. The real price will be the gun granddad hands him when you take him on his first deer hunt -At 71 I still have mine!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Well, rather than starting a new thread I'm going to share it here.
    I'M A GRANDPA!
    The little guy was born at 4:41 this afternoon. He was just over 20" long and just under 8 lbs. Both momma and baby are doing well. What a blessing I thank God for giving our family.
    Congrats Grandpa! It's definitely awesome and as they get older you can get em all hopped on sugar and give em back to the parents

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Well, rather than starting a new thread I'm going to share it here.
    I'M A GRANDPA!
    The little guy was born at 4:41 this afternoon. He was just over 20" long and just under 8 lbs. Both momma and baby are doing well. What a blessing I thank God for giving our family.
    Congratulations! So what are you buying him? :D

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    Well from an heirloom aspect, I think I'm going with a Henry. Would love to get him a Browning BL22 but don't want to create a gun snob too early
    I don’t know if Henry still does it but 10 years ago I bought one for my son and they would let you pick out the serial number. The one i got for my son was his initials and his date of birth as the serial number

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Congratulations!

for heirloom type gun….. I don’t think you need to look any further than your gun safe. I know it isn’t nearly as fun…. But I think having one set aside that you actually use or use is way cooler than anything you can buy.

didn’t read all the posts this could have already been suggested.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So, my wife and I are excited that our daughter will be delivering our first grandchild probably within the next 2 weeks (she's due on New Year's Eve). Since none of us are guaranteed another day or minute on this Earth, I want to get a .22 for my grandson to learn to shoot with down the road when he's old enough.
    Right now, I'm leaning towards a Henry lever action. But am open to other suggestions that maybe a better option. So what are your thoughts?
    First gun was Winchester 67A. I would also recommend Marlin 15YN and CZ452Scout.

He is 9 (4th Grade) here:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Congratulations!

for heirloom type gun….. I don’t think you need to look any further than your gun safe. I know it isn’t nearly as fun…. But I think having one set aside that you actually use or use is way cooler than anything you can buy.

didn’t read all the posts this could have already been suggested.
    I understand the thinking. My Dad (Santa) gave me a new Rem Wingmaster 20g for my 12th Christmas, NIB. I also have his Win model 97 16g that he used to hunt with in his younger years. They are both treasured by me. I don't think I could put either above the other.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I understand the thinking. My Dad (Santa) gave me a new Rem Wingmaster 20g for my 12th Christmas, NIB. I also have his Win model 97 16g that he used to hunt with in his younger years. They are both treasured by me. I don't think I could put either above the other.
    I don’t think either is better than the other BUT I do think it is cool holding something and using something that loved ones used before me is a different feeling.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Buy the Henry now and put it away. In 1 year buy a bolt, or buy both now. Start the kid off on the bolt and progress to the Henry.

You do know that if you put off the Henry, they will be much higher priced in a few years.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don’t think either is better than the other BUT I do think it is cool holding something and using something that loved ones used before me is a different feeling.
    Well, I can kinda of relate to that. When I was first learning to shoot a shotgun, I shot my granddad's Remington model 10. Granddad used that gun to hunt rabbits, squirrels pheasant and quail. Just knowing it was his gun was special.

When it comes to guns, I enjoy plinking with a .22. But, really I'm a shotgun guy. I absolutely enjoy smashing clays. I also enjoy small game and bird hunting. So, there's no doubt that there will be a day when he will inherit a shotgun.

Top Bottom