Graphite causes corrosion in AR type rifles???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    The following is quoted directly from the Armalite owners manual:

" Under NO conditions should any lubricant containing graphite be used with your rifle. Graphite can encourage rapid corrosion to the aircraft-grade aluminum used in your rifle."

Ok, I'm no chemist. But, just HOW exactly does graphite encourage rapid corrosion of the aluminum in an AR rifle???

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Extreme potential for galvanic corrosion to the aluminum. Graphite used on aluminum, magnesium, zinc, cadmium may cause galvanic corrosion. It is best suited for Inconel, stainless, and titanium alloys.

Graphite is a lubricant only in the presence of moisture. When dehydrated it is a slight abrasive.

graphite anti seize compatibility

Hey, I didn't know it either but it is good to know.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Is / was the main ingredient of "Gunslick" graphite? I am pretty sure it was. I have an old tube around here somewhere and I did use it on something not too long ago, but I don't think I used it on any AR's. It may have found it's way into a couple of Colt Lightweights and other alloy framed guns though. I'll have to check my firearms to make sure and find that tube of "Gunslick" and pitch it! It is time for a general inspection and cleaning anyway. I will also "Bing" it since "Google" is not gun friendly.

hibaaryan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    alabama
    Stupid its required, but glad they are doing something if it is. FWIW, my son drew people holding firearms when he had to design a family crest in school this year and no eyebrows were raised. I think most schools still have some sense, its the outliers that make the news.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Stupid its required, but glad they are doing something if it is. FWIW, my son drew people holding firearms when he had to design a family crest in school this year and no eyebrows were raised. I think most schools still have some sense, its the outliers that make the news.

.......what?

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.

Non sequitur

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    :dunno:

Bob

modeltman1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    :dunno:what in tarnaition is that?

Top Bottom