• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    here's the turkey for this afternoon. christmas eve with my wife's extended family.
    christmasturkey1.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Mmmmm, nom, nom, nom!!! Trying to figure when I'll have time to throw a couple of butts on ours. It'll be the first cold weather smoke I've done, right now I'm just trying to figure out when I'll have time.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    It's never too cold or the wrong season to smoke something.

Just put a pork butt on the BGE. Now my wife gets to smell that wonderful smoky aroma all day. (It's her favorite cologne on me. :))

vrdkqg.jpg

It's been 11 hours. I'm going to wrap each portion and let it bake in the oven until I get the right internal temp.
    If we get some snow tomorrow, at least I know I won't starve! :)

16c5478.jpg

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Anybody cooking this weekend? A coworker's daughter is graduating from college next week and he asked me to smoke some pork for him. He brought this big boys in on Thursday I barely got them both on the BGE. They hit the smoke at around 6:45pm yesterday and when I checked them at 3:30am they were sitting at 155* internal. When I got up at 7:00am they were still there. They finally starting moving slowly and they're up to 158* now, I might actually have to add fuel before they're done. That would be a first for me, I've gotten one 24 hour smoke done on a load of coal before but I stirred the coals an hour ago I'm not sure there's enough in there to go the distance.
    CBCC2F86-C22F-4DBB-A55F-EDF74E132959_zpsxy6q85jr.jpg

D57EE357-EA7C-4969-B8C0-FBECE9D29778_zpse2gnnqxd.jpg

I thawed two frozen wild turkey breasts out that I'm going to smoke tomorrow. My Son is home from college and hasn't had my smoked wild gobbler yet. Anyone else cooking this weekend?

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Looks good! That seems like a long stall period, but that should make those nice and tender! Did you inject or brine or just rub them down?

I'll be smoking a wild boar ham from my Florida hog hunt next Saturday!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    He had them injected which I've never done. I don't know if that has an affect on the cook time or not but I suspect it would.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Lookin tasty.

That's a lot of thermal mass for a load of charcoal, I'll be curious to see if it needs replenished.

Good thing you have plenty of time to push through the stall!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    21 hours on the BGE at 225*-250*, I stirred the coals once but never added any. This may be my best work to date. I had a difficult time getting them off of the grate in one piece and that glaze is like candy. I've started using a much lighter coating of rub and spraying them down with a 50/50 mix of apple cider and apple cider vinegar several times toward the end of the smoke.
    16A8D4A5-A3B1-4F80-BD76-DCB063A861B9_zpsjz1ahw7d.jpg

Last edited:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    These are a batch a buddy and I did from a little while ago, but I did a really similar one last night, alongside a boston butt.

3LwhMj.jpg

Are those stuffed with something?

Yeah. I'm not thrilled that I did these for a friend. My wife took a taste of a small piece that stayed behind on the grate and she's ready to fight me for them lol.

I don't blame you. I'd be dropping off some grocery store pulled pork lol.

What cut are those?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The one on the left had bacon, blue cheese, and dates if memory serves. The right had bacon, cheddar, and sautéed peppers.

I did a cheddar one last night.

tonight, we've got a couple corned brisket chunks. These make the best Rubens I've ever had.

Do you boil them with the seasoning packets and then smoke them? I love corned beef and pastrami but haven't tried to make either yet.

Top Bottom