Great Ammo Shortage of 2013 Ending Soon?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    No shortage here, I just stocked up on everything when it became available after the last shortage happened. The whining will start again after the next one happens, but in the meantime I'll just stock up some more, bit by bit. Those who don't remember history, are doomed to repeat it.
    Yep. I need to get about 5k of 7.62x39 before Hillary makes her presidential run.

Induz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    I was at Gander Mountain last Sunday and they had almost all calibers available. 223 was around 60 cents a rounds but they had plenty available. Hopefully prices will start reflecting demands soon too.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The price gouging on ammo is for the best. It lets stores have product to sell. They lose a LOT of business if they are out of stock. Once supply stabilizes, then prices will go down and the equilibrium price will settle in eventually.

The prices may drop a little bit but they will never go down significantly. Once the retailers know they can get a certain amount they will not drop down the price to pre panic prices.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    The prices may drop a little bit but they will never go down significantly. Once the retailers know they can get a certain amount they will not drop down the price to pre panic prices.
    That would only happen if almost everybody stopped paying their prices, and we know that won't happen. I'm afraid you're right. Ammo will never go down unless the raw materials market bottoms out. That would cost a whole host of nasty problems though I'm sure.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Shops around are getting a lot more , prices holding steady , Wally wolds have had ammo on the shelves sitting at 9 in the morning ...

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Shops around are getting a lot more , prices holding steady , Wally wolds have had ammo on the shelves sitting at 9 in the morning ...

When all the retail stores that carry ammo have it on the shelves then I will consider the ammo shortage over. We are not there yet.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

The prices will drop if they don't sell enough. If the climate changed, say a pro-gun candidate wins the presidency, customers will feel more secure and not buy as much. However that's the only instance I can think of where prices would drop below pre-panic prices. It's a longshot but still a possibility.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Some stores in some municipalities may have a small overage due to their market. If you have any ammo in abundance here in central Indiana, its gone very quickly.

Engalwood

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Greenwood
    Also heard Wally's prices will probably go up a little more.... To all u that are dreaming of prices what they used to be? Wake up and smell the roses... It is now what it is. Sure there might be a deal to be had out there but will never be what is wants was.

MordecuS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Mooresville
    I have had good luck recently finding 9mm, 357 Magnum and .45 at Bradis. The quantity seems to still be lower than normal but the frequency with which I've been there recently and been able to walk out with what I need has been much greater. I've actually found some ammo at Wal Mart as well. Things seem to slowly be getting better.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I'll call the ammo shortage over when I can walk into a local Walmart and see ammo on the shelves of various calibers like I could before. Until then, panic buying is still in effect all around us.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I hate Walmart, don't go there.

I usually buy my ammo at Cabelas or Midwayusa.com. Save for the 1 box per caliber per person limit, I've been able to pick up pretty much whatever I want lately. Haven't mailordered much from Midway due to their high shipping rates, but did pick up a bunch of ammo when I was ordering a holster and some sights. Really need to combine orders or get a large order of ammo together to offset the shipping. Local shops priced themselves out of the game. I'm not paying $25/50 9mm FMJs.

Cabelas has also had primers in stock here and there.

Last couple months have been just fine. Not great, but liveable considering the 8 months prior I couldn't get any bit of components or loaded ammo.

I don't shoot often, but when I do, it's usually with several people shooting my guns and we burn up a LOT of ammo in a sitting. Other than .22, I've been able to keep up.

Funny thing is, I don't shoot a lot of .22lr except when I take my guns to a family party, then we'll burn up 2k rounds faster than I'd ever thought possible. I do burn up a lot of Aguila SSS and Super Colibri on my own. Maybe if I had a suppressor I'd run more .22lr, but despite being on acreage, my two lots are long and narrow so to keep the neighbors happy I keep it quiet. I didn't have any problem finding SSS or Colibri during the first couple months of the shortage, but as time went by, I couldn't even find those. I saw TONS of them on tables at the last 1500 I went to, but at inflated prices. Recently I've been able to pick up a brick of each at regular price (which isn't cheap). I also shoot up a lot of .22 short and even that has been hard to find and persists even now, can't find any at a decent price - Just picked up a 50box for $9...

Last edited:

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I was at Dunham Sports today. The had plenty of ammo. 9 mm Remington green box 50 rounds for $15 .45 acp Winchester (iirc) 50 round box for $25 .22 LR Remington Thunderbolt 50 rounds for $2.19
    I picked up a few boxes of .22

The Wamp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Martinsville
    I hate Walmart, don't go there.

I usually buy my ammo at Cabelas or Midwayusa.com. Save for the 1 box per caliber per person limit, I've been able to pick up pretty much whatever I want lately. Haven't mailordered much from Midway due to their high shipping rates, but did pick up a bunch of ammo when I was ordering a holster and some sights. Really need to combine orders or get a large order of ammo together to offset the shipping. Local shops priced themselves out of the game. I'm not paying $25/50 9mm FMJs.

Cabelas has also had primers in stock here and there.

Last couple months have been just fine. Not great, but liveable considering the 8 months prior I couldn't get any bit of components or loaded ammo.

I don't shoot often, but when I do, it's usually with several people shooting my guns and we burn up a LOT of ammo in a sitting. Other than .22, I've been able to keep up.

Funny thing is, I don't shoot a lot of .22lr except when I take my guns to a family party, then we'll burn up 2k rounds faster than I'd ever thought possible. I do burn up a lot of Aguila SSS and Super Colibri on my own. Maybe if I had a suppressor I'd run more .22lr, but despite being on acreage, my two lots are long and narrow so to keep the neighbors happy I keep it quiet. I didn't have any problem finding SSS or Colibri during the first couple months of the shortage, but as time went by, I couldn't even find those. I saw TONS of them on tables at the last 1500 I went to, but at inflated prices. Recently I've been able to pick up a brick of each at regular price (which isn't cheap). I also shoot up a lot of .22 short and even that has been hard to find and persists even now, can't find any at a decent price - Just picked up a 50box for $9...

Try rural king Martinsville. They have had colibris and super colibris en masse for months. $2.78/box. They may not even limit you because they want rid of them.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I was at the Cabelas in Hammond yesterday. They did have most handgun calibers available! Prices are not cheap, but with the lack of stuff in other places seemed okay if you need a bit of stock. 22lr was still light and they had CCIs in 22short. Rifle ammo a plenty in 223/556 and 7.62 x 39.
    Good hunting.

Top Bottom