• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Billcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Pike County
    I went over to my buddys 100 yard rifle range yesterday, to shoot my new Savage MKII BV. I had mounted a 4x14x40mm Mueller scope on it, and sighted it in at my home range. My range is 35 yards, and I use it to sight in Air Rifles, and rimfire .22's. I found the MKII to be accurate right out of the box but it had a couple of issues, one the accutrigger was very hard and the free floated barrel was not. The action was not setting squarly in the laminated stock, it was rubbing on the left side. I relieved the pressure from the barrel and action, and removed a small burr from the trigger. I also washed out a considerable amount of gritty stuff from the bolt and trigger area, then relubed with a small amount of moly grease, and rimoil. The bolt and trigger are very nice now.
    Shooting from bags, at 110yrd. after resighting, we were putting all rounds inside a 2" red target spot. we then lined up a bunch of small frozen juice cans with the bottoms facing us and proceded to shoot about 10 of them without missing. I have tried several different ammo brands, and so far this rifle will do best with CCI 40 grain Mini Mags. next best is Remington Tornados, I tried with good results some Eley witch grouped as tight as the CCI but printed lower as expected since it was standard velosity.
    All in all we had a lot of fun shooting rimfire, my buddy thought his self loading 22,'s were shooting as well as the bolt action rimfire until he tried this rifle. Now he is fighting the ( I need one of these ) We are both confermed varmit shooters, and have had and still have most of the center fire rifles and both are reloaders, still we had a blast just long range plinking with the little Savage.
    Bill...

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    I love savage rifles. I own a 110FP in .308 and a model93 in 17HMR.

You should try one of the savage 17HMRs. If you like rimfire, You'll never look back at .22 again. The ammo is a bit more expensive, but it's still the most fun you can have on a $10.00 bill and it's positively devastating on critters, zombies, and melons.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    `Sounds like a good time for sure. I have a Savage 93FV 22mag that I love shooting, itscrazy accurate for just an out of the box gun. Try some RWS or Wolf match ammo in that MKII.I have a Savage 10FP SR in 308 that a sub MOA gun with my handloads, but rimfires are just fun I like shooting mine more than just about anything I own.

Billcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Pike County
    I love savage rifles. I own a 110FP in .308 and a model93 in 17HMR.

You should try one of the savage 17HMRs. If you like rimfire, You'll never look back at .22 again. The ammo is a bit more expensive, but it's still the most fun you can have on a $10.00 bill and it's positively devastating on critters, zombies, and melons.
    I also have a CZ 527 American in 22KHornet that I load for. I can shoot it for about same as the .17, and it will sure blow up melons as well. I just wanted to shoot more, on the cheap and .22LR is still fairly cheap.
    Bill...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm looking forward to taking mine camping. It's just the standard barrel, but has accutrigger. Still only have irons on it, but that'll be good enough for plinking. :)

@Bill Curtis, how did you get the gritty stuff from the bolt area? I polished my bolt, and it's smoother than it was, but I think the receiver needs polishing or cleaned better or something.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    The CCI 40gr standard velocity is very popular with Savage 22 owners.

I recently bought a brick from;

CCI Standard 22 LR 40gr Paper Box

I've only been out with it once, but it did do a little better than the 40 gr mini mags. Best group I've shot so far was with Wolf Match Extra, but its oily, and smelly. :D

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I've only been out with it once, but it did do a little better than the 40 gr mini mags. Best group I've shot so far was with Wolf Match Extra, but its oily, and smelly. :D
    That's not a bad price! How much was shipping?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I took my new Savage out today and I did find some positives and negatives.

Not really a Apples-to-Apples comparison, but they are both handsome rifles. After cleaning and putting lube on the Savage bolt, it moved very easily and allowed me to keep my cheek hold when operating it.
    IMG243.jpg

I don't like the magazines for the Savage. The Ruger allows the single magazine to disappear into the stock, allowing for the palm to rest in a more comfortable position for standing supported shots.
    IMG240.jpg

The Ruger trigger feels 'fat' after shooting the Savage Accu-Trigger.
    IMG238.jpg

The Accu-Trigger breaks very crisp, but I would like to lighten it up a bit if that can be done.
    IMG237.jpg

Now, I need a lever-action .22 rifle and I'll be done. ;)

Billcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Pike County
    I'm looking forward to taking mine camping. It's just the standard barrel, but has accutrigger. Still only have irons on it, but that'll be good enough for plinking. :)

@Bill Curtis, how did you get the gritty stuff from the bolt area? I polished my bolt, and it's smoother than it was, but I think the receiver needs polishing or cleaned better or something.
    I removed the bolt, then the barreled action from the stock, I took the parts out to my workshop and washed the entire bolt and trigger area with carb cleaner. I spread white paper towel out to catch any stuff that comes out, and I think you will be supprised how much stuff falls out. I turned the bolt as I sprayed to get all clean. Then blew everything dry with compressed air. I use moly grease on the bolt and work it down into the parts with a little remoil replace the bolt, and work the parts, you will find they work very smooth, also the moly will work into the metal and you will not have to use any more just clean with patches and remoil as needed. I had a burr on the trigger right on the sear that was causing the trigger to be hard, I used a small Inda stone to work this off, keeping the surfice square, the burr was easy to remove and I put moly on the face of the sear. This stuff works into the metal, and will not need repeating. I cleaned off all excess grease after my first day of shooting when cleaning the rifle, now nice and smooth with a nice 2 lb trigger. Bolt operates smoothly and is dry to the touch, only a wipe with a remoiled patch.

Billcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Pike County

Thanks NipperDog for the tip on the CCI ammo, I ordered a brick of that last night
    Bill...

Top Bottom