• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    They have North Tech alkaline batteries, 60 pack for $8. They are also doing the 11 percent rebate thing, not worth it for a pack of batteries, but I did a little remodeling so I'll just add it to the rebate form. That is about 12 cents per cell, excellent deal! For those not in the know, for the VAST majority of uses, alkalines are alkalines are alkalines. It doesn't matter if it is cheap or duracell. The high end ones MAY be less likely to leak in adverse conditions, but if it is critical equipment that doesn't get used regularly you should have lithium batteries in it. For everyday use these 12 cent batteries will do 98 percent of what a duracell will do (as LONG as we are talking alkalines, and not heavy duty batteries).

Sadly my local menards didn't have any AA's sitting out, and looking at the boxes of stock on the racking I didn't see any of that SKU so they may be out. I did pick up a box of AAA's though and they had a lot of those. I haven't really bought a lot of batteries since I have been investing in and using eneloops, but for this price I cannot pass it up!

Last edited:

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    Maxell must be the minority in the stat. The 48 pack alkalines I bought on Amazon are crappy. They only have about 1/2 the charge as any generic I've picked up. After that experience, I'm cautious about buying a large amount without knowing first.

Anyone ever use the North Tech?

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    Always a dice roll with batteries if you can't tell how long they've been stored/ what conditions they've been stored in. Never heard of North Tech. Any good reason not to just go for the rechargeables?

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Maxell must be the minority in the stat. The 48 pack alkalines I bought on Amazon are crappy. They only have about 1/2 the charge as any generic I've picked up. After that experience, I'm cautious about buying a large amount without knowing first.

I use them in flashlights and remotes. I've been happy with there life span in those items. Now in my boys' toys and other high drain devices, they suck. I haven't had one leak yet. I've lost several items to Duracell batteries leaking.

Always a dice roll with batteries if you can't tell how long they've been stored/ what conditions they've been stored in. Never heard of North Tech. Any good reason not to just go for the rechargeables?

Unless you have some way of recharging those batteries in an extended power outages, rechargeable batteries really aren't the way to go. Most rechargeable batteries are only 1.2 Volts vs alkaline which are 1.5 volt. Rechargeables don't hold their charge for long periods of time in storage like Alkaline batteries do either.

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    Re: Rechargables

I'm all for rechargables. Anyone check out Steve Harris' stuff? Found him on the Survival Podcast multiple times. He's a mechanical engineer with real world testing. He's been recommending Sanyo eneloop rechargables for holding a charge and the number of times you can recharge them. Instead of in the 100's, they recharge in the 1000's.

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    I have only checked him out from the TSP shows (all dozen or however many he has done), though I have checked his various sites a couple times for reference. I already owned the powerex charger he recommends (even 5+ years ago it was rated the highest), but I also got the lead acid charger he recommends. I just wish the powerex charger could be used on cigarette outlet :-\ But, a small inverter would easily run it. I have just now killed an eneloop, it was in a toy that I'm sure got left on and COMPLETELY killed the battery (not recommended for them...), but I have had SO much better luck with them than the cheap duracells and such I used to own (between the wife and I we had purchased 24 or so of the things, and less than 8 still even work).

I don't know how many of the eneloop AA's I own now, enough that we don't even have any alkalines, though I should get some for the very infrequently used toys. For ANY regular use item it gets eneloops, and we have about a dozen ready to go.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

Yeah, they're junk!

Top Bottom