• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    still looking guys, (and girls) for a carry gun for my wife. newest thought is the CZ-82 Czech 9x18 Makarov, any and all info you got let me have it. I dont want expensive ammo or hard to find ammo and cant afford a expensive gun for her but i want something she will carry and its for her birthday so no i cant go and see what she is comfortable with and likes. She really doesnt care that much anyways i just want her to have something she will actually carry so not bulky she is kinda tiny so i like the CZ, plus the ammo is cheap.

Got anything else hit me i am totally open and pictures are always nice too.:D

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If you wanted to get your wife a new pair of shoes, would you go look for and buy them, or would you involve her in the process?

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Let her pick it out but don't be afraid to actually do the leg work. For some reason, women love that you do the leg work. Just don't forget about weight. I carry every day and for me weight is a big issue and it is for most women I've talked to. So, if she wants a big gun, get her a nice big holster and a gun belt to help with the weight if she carries on body.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    The reason there is so many different opinions and so many different carry models out there, is because there are so many preferences by carry folks. Let her feel some, act like you are looking to trade in one of yours and want her opinion for what you should get next. Let her handle some since you "want her to be able to shoot it to", then you will get the info you need. Its almost as hard as getting the ring size from her for an engagement ring.

Chuck26287

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    My father and I got my wife and my mother to both get their LTCH apps in last week. We're now looking for carry weapons for them. My carry is a Sig P220 Carry model (.45). My wife wants something smaller and lighter. I want her to have at least a 9mm. I also want it to have the same controls (DA/SA) as my P220 so she can be comfortable and consistant with whichever one she picks up. In addition to carrying, we intend to shoot IDPA & Steel Challenge for some fun together time, so getting her to practice with it won't be tough. I'm looking to get her a P239 in 9mm to help meet the lighter and smaller need. Honestly, the P239 isn't a LOT smaller or lighter, but it's single-stack, and a reasonable grip for her. Beyond that, I'm leaning more toward getting this firearm, and having her acclimate to it. Kind of different from letting her pick out what feels better in her hand, but I think a sound choice.

danmrt868

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Walther PPS in 9mm

i agree getting ready to either buy this or the keltec 9mm for the wife shes waiting on her ltch right now but she handled these at the gun show and she thought they would fit her hand shes 5'2" 120 lbs just to give u a idea on her size

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Don't over look the simplicity and reliability of a good old fashioned wheel gun. In a high stress, life and death situation, a revolver goes bang each time you pull the trigger. Everyone is different, just speaking from my experience. My wife has shot just about everything we own. And her initial choice for "carry" was a revolver. (she still doesn't "carry", but has it in her vehicle) She liked the fact that , in her words "it's simple". No safety, no magazine release, nothing to think about but pull the trigger. That was 6 months ago , she's now asking about an LCP. Everyones situation/comfort level is different, and it evolves with time and practice.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    The key is ..Let her choose it ..

If at all possible find someone who has a few different types of handguns to let her try out first .

My wife CC's her LCP more than anything :patriot:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Along with going semi-auto I will also say to get something with no safety, load it +1 and teach her to just pull the trigger, take all the problems out, make it simple, pull it out and pull the trigger.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    Let her choose. My plan is to have my fiance shoot some of my handguns to see how she handles the recoil and then have her choose a gun from there. I have a walther ppk/s, para warthog, and makarov she can shoot.

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    a lot of yall like the LCP but i dont want to have anything to do with the .380 ammo! expensive and hard to find in times of need, want more of a common ammo and not near thet price, great gun the LCP and not to expensive, only problem is the ammo.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Another you may want to look at is the Taurus 709 slim ..In 9MM
    Very nice gun for not a bad price ..

If it is the ammo your worried about go with a 9MM or a .357/.38

But as i said The key is let her choose , If she is not comfortable shooting it she won't carry it ,:patriot:

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Another you may want to look at is the Taurus 709 slim ..In 9MM
    Very nice gun for not a bad price ..

If it is the ammo your worried about go with a 9MM or a .357/.38

But as i said The key is let her choose , If she is not comfortable shooting it she won't carry it ,:patriot:

for some reason i am becoming a big fan of the Makarov inexpensive both gun and ammo plus a nice carry piece. :yesway:

i am no expert so anyone who has some thoughts feel free to drop in!!:twocents:

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    +1 for the LCP. SD Ammo can be had where we are for a bit more than I would like to pay, but not horrible either. Plinking ammo is harder to come by for a reasonable price so I'm backorderd waiting for a 500rnd box through midway.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I would agree with either the Taurus slim 709 or the Walther PPS, both are 9mm, seems to be a easy carrying gun, affordable gun and ammo.

BUT and yes its a big BUT, you might want to give her a home made gift certificate to a any gun store so it will still be a surprise gift and allow her to pick out what feels good to her.

Whoops forgot to add the Glock 26 with the Pierce finger extension, thats the gun my wife likes to shoot, easy to carry and affordable.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    S & W .38 spcl +p(preferably an airweight) They are small for her small frame. .38 spcl ammo is fairly easy to find, they are double action. And they are accurate at 25'. You can find them from $250 to $450. And you could even get a set of pink grips for her. Good luck.

Top Bottom