• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I watched a multi-part series on this several years ago. After doing so I was thoroughly disgusted at mankind. I recently found myself in agreement with something California did :faint: when they passed a ban on plastic shopping bags. I don't remember if it was done at a state or local level but would support a similar ban on a nationwide level. I haven't watched the OP video but the real ecological damage is being done on a smaller level with the tiny bits of trash, some down to the microscopic level causing serious damage to the environment. I'm no tree-hugger but peoples trash habits disgust me to no end.

I'll see if I can find a link to the video series and attach it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I watched a multi-part series on this several years ago. After doing so I was thoroughly disgusted at mankind. I recently found myself in agreement with something California did :faint: when they passed a ban on plastic shopping bags. I don't remember if it was done at a state or local level but would support a similar ban on a nationwide level. I haven't watched the OP video but the real ecological damage is being done on a smaller level with the tiny bits of trash, some down to the microscopic level causing serious damage to the environment. I'm no tree-hugger but peoples trash habits disgust me to no end.

I'll see if I can find a link to the video series and attach it.
    Why do you hate freedom?

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Is this 'pile' different' from the garbage that washed off the Japan island after the major quake they had a few years ago? I remember reading about a mass of debris moving eastward across the Pacific from Japan.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    The paper grocery bags made a much nicer package when carefully bagged. I remember being taught how to bag groceries, we had the watch the items as they came down the rollers at the checkstand and decide on the fly how to bag them properly We built a foundation, filled the center, kept certain like items together and segregated other items (household cleaners). When we finished, the manager would cut the sides of the bag and lay them out flat. If the contents stayed in a stacked tower, you passed. Now they just toss things in a plastic bag in whatever sequence they come off the belt, no thought process involved.

Kroger started the major push to plastic bags as a cost cutting measure and paper bags were eventually forced out almost everywhere.

The environmental impact of plastic bags is becoming a concern but according to this site Paper or plastic? Plastic. | Environmental Impact the plastic bags are actually more environmentally friendly than the paper bags. :dunno:

The reusable fabric bags are an option but they have to be washed or they become bacteria laden. :ugh:

Maybe I just need to eat less to save the environment.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    This has been going on for decades. There's a patch out in the Pacific where the currents recirculate, and this traps the floating crap. It took a long time for it to be noticed because it's far away from any air or shipping routes, so nobody saw it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I also recall reading about a condom patch somewhere out in the ocean... :puke:

Every waste water treatment facility has a strainer room that catches the crap soaked condoms. They are a real problem. Pretty gross watching someone shoveling condoms out of the strainers into drums. Don't flush them! On the other hand, I guess I am happy for all the people that are getting lucky

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They throw it in my front yard too. :xmad:

You know it. I pick up crap all week.
    We were sitting in a line of traffic not long ago and the car load of A$$ Hats in front of us just casually dumped all the trash from a few drive through trips at the fast food joints out on the street in front of us. We were sitting still so my son jumps out, picks it up and puts it back in the car. They were in shock. Of course they threw it out down the street once rolling with the full one finger salute but they got a face full of "WTF is wrong with you"

Yeah, we are just bully's I guess.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom