• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Fresh Tyme in Greenwood has fresh non-GMO green beans from Florida on sale right now for 88c a pound. That's $24.64 for a bushel (28 lbs)...these are excellent for canning. We can them with no salt since we're both on a low sodium deal.

One bushel of beans will yield 26-28 quarts depending on how tight you pack them.

We usually get 28.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Fresh Tyme in Greenwood has fresh non-GMO green beans from Florida on sale right now for 88c a pound. That's $24.64 for a bushel (28 lbs)...these are excellent for canning. We can them with no salt since we're both on a low sodium deal.

One bushel of beans will yield 26-28 quarts depending on how tight you pack them.

We usually get 28.

I've been afraid to can green beans, but I do freeze them. Last year I froze them straight from the garden, no blanching. I think the blanched ones were better.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Cindy

We've been canning green beans for years and years. You MUST have a pressure canner...I would not trust it to a water bath canner as the beans are not acidic enough to kill bacteria at 212 degrees.

We cold pack, fill jar with boiling water, slap on a lid and ring, then into the canner for 25-30 minutes at 10 or 11 lbs of pressure. I don't think we've ever had a jar of green beans go bad.

We can green beans, tomatoes, salsa, and I can my ham and bean soup when I get the notion. We've also canned a lot of different meat....you just have to make sure everything you use, and touch is clean clean clean.

Saw a youtube on making canned meatloaf...I want to give that try this summer.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I do have a pressure canner. I've just always been scared of anything non-acidic...probably because i remember a horror story about botulism i heard as a kid. Someone at work once offered to show me how to can beans, but they were using the water bath method. No way. Would i know if it is bad? I've only canned tomatoes, peppers, salsa, and pickles.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I do have a pressure canner. I've just always been scared of anything non-acidic...probably because i remember a horror story about botulism i heard as a kid. Someone at work once offered to show me how to can beans, but they were using the water bath method. No way. Would i know if it is bad? I've only canned tomatoes, peppers, salsa, and pickles.

A couple of ways...

1. When you open the jar if you do not hear the vacuum seal breaking...suspect spoilage. Sniff it, or just dump it out and get another jar. Never risk it.

2. If the food in the jar looks like it is swelling, or the colors have changed significantly and the lid is domed instead of flat...do not even open it. Just get it out of the house.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    A couple of ways...

1. When you open the jar if you do not hear the vacuum seal breaking...suspect spoilage. Sniff it, or just dump it out and get another jar. Never risk it.

2. If the food in the jar looks like it is swelling, or the colors have changed significantly and the lid is domed instead of flat...do not even open it. Just get it out of the house.

:thumbsup:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Frozen are better. (this coming from someone who loves them raw and steamed, but cant even look at them (over)cooked country style)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My favorite is to sit in the garden and eat them straight off the vine.

My kids got my taste for veggies. They'll beg in the store to get them and want to snack on them on the way to the checkout. ("Dad! Green beans! Can we get some??! PLEEEEEEASE?"
    I actually had a grandpa-ish fellow tell me I was raising them right when he observed the beg/OK/cheer exchange.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Green beans are our main crop in the garden. We've grown several different kinds of beans, both dried beans and string beans, but the only kind that we grow in quantity and can are White Half-Runners. We might put up 100 quart jars in a season, and it's not uncommon for us to find a jar of beans that was canned three or four years before and eat them without a worry.

The main reason that we prefer home grown and home canned beans is that's the only way you can be sure what's been sprayed on them. Whenever I see bushel after bushel of pristine, unmarked beans in a farmer's market, I don't fully believe that sign that reads "100 % Organic".

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Green beans are our main crop in the garden. We've grown several different kinds of beans, both dried beans and string beans, but the only kind that we grow in quantity and can are White Half-Runners. We might put up 100 quart jars in a season, and it's not uncommon for us to find a jar of beans that was canned three or four years before and eat them without a worry.

The main reason that we prefer home grown and home canned beans is that's the only way you can be sure what's been sprayed on them. Whenever I see bushel after bushel of pristine, unmarked beans in a farmer's market, I don't fully believe that sign that reads "100 % Organic".

They are always better straight out of the garden. Even my dogs snack on them...i give them the ones that aren't up to my standards...lol.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Well, in the real definition of the word, the pesticides and herbicide are all organic chemicals. Most of the really lethal substances are organic chemicals, both naturally occurring as well as synthesized from natural materials.

Too bad the FDA defines "organic" a different way for foods!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    They are always better straight out of the garden. Even my dogs snack on them...i give them the ones that aren't up to my standards...lol.

I agree, I love to pick a mess to stir-fry just when they get big enough. And, our dog loves canning time. She perches next to us as we break and she gets all the bad beans, along with a few good ones.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Well, in the real definition of the word, the pesticides and herbicide are all organic chemicals. Most of the really lethal substances are organic chemicals, both naturally occurring as well as synthesized from natural materials.

Too bad the FDA defines "organic" a different way for foods!

I'll always remember a poster printed by Dow Co. many years ago. It said "Without Chemicals, Life Itself Would Not Be Possible"

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It's very true!

It's more about judicious, proper application than it is yes/no on most chemicals.

Yes, I use a few different products in my garden, but I'm a devout "label reader". It's funny, but green beans are one of the crops that I use the least amount of chemical on. About once every three or so years, I need to spray some Sevin on my beans to control beetles, but I watch closely for early signs of damage and only spray if I can make the window to leave them for the required time before picking.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Yes, I use a few different products in my garden, but I'm a devout "label reader". It's funny, but green beans are one of the crops that I use the least amount of chemical on. About once every three or so years, I need to spray some Sevin on my beans to control beetles, but I watch closely for early signs of damage and only spray if I can make the window to leave them for the required time before picking.

I have been using Amazon.com : Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade 10 Lb : Patio, Lawn & Garden

It works well, as long as i remember to do it!

Top Bottom