• ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport

The Air Force converted to "tree huger" bullets at a base I was stationed at about 7 years ago. The government had to spend a bunch of money to clean up the M16/M4 qualification range on base from lead. Then they made us qualify with a special manufactured Winchester ammo where the bullet was made of a fragmenting hard porcelain. We usually called the ammo "tree huger" ammo. They used this special ammo just to qualify. When we went to Afghanistan we got the real ammo.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The few reports on M855A1 that I've seen on ARFCOM look favorable, so I wouldn't necessarily call it idiotic, especially after the report by any mainstream media which blows weird details out of proportion (like Fox, or MSNBC, et al).

Worst I've seen from folks that have shot M855A1 was gas port erosion (ammo is warm to say the least). But from testing, it penetrates better against barriers than M193/M855 and fragments better.

Old_grunt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Bloomington
    Considering that lead is a natural element, like copper and lead core bullets are made, mostly, from lead plates from recycled automotive batteries, this is, imo, another example of an EPA that's out of control. For example, (leaving silver out of the equation), the best solder is a mix of 60/40 lead/tin rosin core. RoHs compliance is going to do nothing but resurrect problems that were already solved. Disregarding that, what will this do to the cost of automotive batteries?!?? While I'm at it, you do know that Jerusalem was buried by a blizzard that dumped 3 ft of snow on it, don't you? Global warming...............bunk.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think we should turn the military over to a committee run by PETA, the Sierra Club, GLAAD, NOW, NARAL and every other libtard group in the country.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Considering that lead is a natural element, like copper and lead core bullets are made, mostly, from lead plates from recycled automotive batteries, this is, imo, another example of an EPA that's out of control. For example, (leaving silver out of the equation), the best solder is a mix of 60/40 lead/tin rosin core. RoHs compliance is going to do nothing but resurrect problems that were already solved. Disregarding that, what will this do to the cost of automotive batteries?!?? While I'm at it, you do know that Jerusalem was buried by a blizzard that dumped 3 ft of snow on it, don't you? Global warming...............bunk.

It's been pretty cold here in Chicago for the last month or so. I paid for my global warming and I want it RIGHT NOW!

bluzfan66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Switzerland Co, IN
    Another way for the government to control how much ammo we buy. Copper is expensive. This price of a FMJ ROUND could get as expensive as a high end HP round is now. Plus, the price of anything that uses copper will go up.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Nah. Twenty-four states are phasing out lead ammunition. More for us in free States. I for one am very glad to see California and other States ban lead ammunition. More for me. This might be the only time I'll ever say it, but go, California! Do more dumb tyrannical stuff!

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Another way for the government to control how much ammo we buy. Copper is expensive. This price of a FMJ ROUND could get as expensive as a high end HP round is now. Plus, the price of anything that uses copper will go up.

This whole lead smelter plant closing is not really a big deal other than getting exaggerated by fox news and the NRA. The industry that makes bullets have stated several times it will make zero impact on them.

NSSF, Sierra, ATK Not Worried By Lead Smelter Closure | The Truth About Guns

BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central
    I heard that as of February led is no longer allowed to be in brass plumbing fixtures. Its really stupid because brass is one of the safest metals out there. Its corrosion and bacteria resistant and its relatively cheap. So pretty much no more brass fixtures, stock up while you can.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    M855A1 probably doesn't use more copper as described. My interwebz research has discovered that the M855A1 is not solid copper as it was originally reported on the interwebz. Well, it may have been solid copper originally, but I think they wised up and replaced the lead with Bismuth. Bismuth is the next element over from Lead on the periodic table, and therefore has the most similar profile to Lead (esp. weight). So I believe at this time--correct me if I'm wrong military gurus--there is a Bismuth core, and about the same amount of copper. So the only problem is, the price of Bismuth is much higher than Lead, and that surely will increase our national debt.

See U.S. Army Issues New ?Green? M855A1 Ammo - The Firearm Blog

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom