• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Post 434 is dedicated to the men and women serving at Grissom Air Reserve Base. It is home to the 434th Air Refueling Wing, the largest air refueling wing in the Air Force Reserve Command. Despite the rumors that the base is closed, Grissom is alive and well. The 434 ARW is known as the “Hoosier Wing” and is also home to the U.S. Army Reserve and U.S. Marine Corps Reserve.
    The Hoosier Wing has been a part of the Indiana landscape since World War II. The unit has been mobilized during the Korean War, Cuban Missile Crisis, Vietnam War, Gulf War, the air war over Kosovo and most recently, for Operations Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, New Dawn and Odyssey Dawn. We have members deployed all around the world in harms way. It is a great unit with hard working, dedicated military, civilian and contractor personnel providing Global Reach for America.

Below is a link with more information.
    http://www.grissom.afrc.af.mil/

2tankers.jpg

tankerrefueling.jpg

AirForceOne.jpg

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I was born there while Dad was somewhere in the central highlands.

Growing up, one of the Air Force #'s was kept there. I always assumed that put us on the nuke it first list. LOL

A10's used to "strafe" me when I was working ground during planting.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    Those pesky refuelers fly right over my house all the time, on (what I assume are) training runs.

Make alot of noise...but nothing but respect for the men and women aboard them. Along with the rest of the men and women serving this country. :patriot::patriot:

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Cool! :yesway:

I grew up near K.I. Sawyer AFB in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan ...with B52's and KC135's flying overhead. The base was closed in the 90's; missed their presence for years after. Nothing quite like a B52 flying over at tree-top level for 4th of July celebrations! :patriot:

whiteman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    knee Deep In Mud
    I was stationed at Grissom for 3 years and surprisingly, had a great time. I joined the Air Force to see the world and get out of Indiana..and where do they send me???? right back to Indiana..

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Cool! :yesway:

I grew up near K.I. Sawyer AFB in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan ...with B52's and KC135's flying overhead. The base was closed in the 90's; missed their presence for years after. Nothing quite like a B52 flying over at tree-top level for 4th of July celebrations! :patriot:

I went to high school at Gwinn, when my father was stationed at K.I. Sawyer.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I've done work up there in one of the hangers. Makes you pause for a moment when step inside and see a painted line with stenciled letters every so many feet telling you that deadly force is authorized if you cross the line. (Even if they tell you you're good to go.)
    Cool place to have worked.
    BTW this is what we did. We're not this company. I found this youtube and thought it's a pretty good luck at what we did at Grissom.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uNA89WxUeI[/ame]

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    Spent 3 years there as a reservist (1 active), working alongside the DOD Police. I love Grissom ARB and really miss the place.

mattdennis3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Lebanon
    Great place. Used to go up there a lot. Actually going there tomorrow. My uncle is retiring from the Air Force after 34 years of service and they are having a ceremony tomorrow.

Top Bottom