• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I'm looking for a tool to clear brush / briars / small trees from a camp site.

I bought the el cheapo, $6.98 machete from Wally World and should have known better.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i use this....:D.....not for campin' just for use around the house...

e023b4.jpg

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    The Ontario heavy machetes work well. You may also want to find a good hardware store that has brush axes. They are a long, lightweight cutting head at the end of an axe handle and work well on small brush. I've used machetes to cut down a lot of trees up to about 6" in diameter. Anything bigger than that and you'll probably want to keep it for shading your campsite.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If you're set on a manual method, I've used a ditch ax for the briars and the like...then chainsaw for the larger stuff. Just keep in mind, just because you knock it down, those thorns and nasty stuff will still be there. If you've got a big area, rent a tractor w/ bush-hog--- much easier!

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    This is the machine I use everyday at work. Although the guy running this one sucks lol. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BORl3FzuvFE&feature=related[/ame]

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I attached a circular blade to my weed eater for clearing brush and small trees. Works pretty well, just like weed whacking with a blade. It will cut through saplings up to a couple inches thick, goes through briers and weeds like butter. Just remeber to wear eye protection as it throws trash everywhere.

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    Last edited:

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I attached a circular blade to my weed eater for clearing brush and small trees. Works pretty well, just like weed whacking with a blade. It will cut through saplings up to a couple inches thick, goes through briers and weeds like butter. Just remeber to wear eye protection as it throws trash everywhere.
    That's how we deal with the small trees, weed wak the rest of it, scalp it, short, all the way down.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Thanks for the recommendations, gentlemen.

Someone IRL recommended Tractor Supply. So, guess where I'm headed this weekend....:D

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Quality tool

Thanks for the recommendations, gentlemen.

Someone IRL recommended Tractor Supply. So, guess where I'm headed this weekend....:D

Google up " The Marugg Company " in Tracy City, TN. Buy a wood Snath(handle) and a brush blade. Don't forget the sharpening stone. Learn to slice with it, don't pull, and you'll have a tool that you'll treasure for it's simplicity and the excercise it provides you. A steady rythm with a scythe is excellent cardio.:rockwoot:

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Try to find a fiskars or gerber brush axe. It is very versatile in terms of what it will clear and has been my go-to tool for clearing thick weeds and small trees around my house. Very good value for dollar.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-7860-Brush-Axe/dp/B000F99IEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1305957684&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Fiskars 7860 Brush Axe: Home & Garden[/ame]

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Thanks for all the info again, folks.

I referenced the above material and made a visit to Tractor Supply.

Lo and behold they were well equipped with what I needed.

I picked up one of these:
    brushcut.jpg

I already had loppers, hand pruners, and a machete, so I feel well-equipped for my next trip into the woods to clear out my camping spot and trail from the cabin.

Top Bottom