• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I want to hunt groundhogs this year , just to practice stalking . Where are places they really like to be around.I have a farm I hunt on , but they only plant corn on it , where are they likely to be ? Need help finding locations.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Find a farm with beans. One that borders a waterway and or RR tracks is often good also.
    This. They really love waterways. There is a section of road here that parallels a RR and a creek as well for part of it. In the 1/2 mile stretch its not uncommon to see 4 in the grass and along the brush line between the road and creek/tracks.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Don't forget to have your whistle practiced and warmed up. It'll bring their heads back out of the hole to see the other groundhog whistling at them. Be ready...

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    A guy told me , go get a baby rattle and go along a fence row and sit down and rattle the rattle , they will come out of the hole and stand up and look around.I dont know if he was trying to make me out to look like a fool or not ? what do you guys think ?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A guy told me , go get a baby rattle and go along a fence row and sit down and rattle the rattle , they will come out of the hole and stand up and look around.I dont know if he was trying to make me out to look like a fool or not ? what do you guys think ?
    Its not far fetched. When I would squirrel hunt. I'd make a ridiculous squirrel-like call with my mouth. And it worked. I doubt they would stick their heads out because they thought it was another squirrel. I'm sure they were like "WTH is THAT?!?!" I think thats the same goal as the rattle. Make a harmless sounding noise that cant be explained to make them want to pop up and look.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    If you find one far from his hole and you sneak up and get between him and his hole he will freeze. After a few trys to get around you he will just sit there nashing his teeth. You can honestly kill them with a baseball bat...

Top Bottom