• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    A place I worked at back in the late 80s held an annual goundhog contest. Entry fee was $5 and there were 3 categories, biggest killed, most killed (all kills had to be confirmed by another person in the contest) and longest shot (also had to be confirmed). Most of we honest in our efforts but this hog that was brought in to be weighed tipped the scales at 25 lbs which was a little heavy for the size of the body. Upon inspection one of the guys found sand in the hog's mouth. I think in the 2nd year the group killed around 250 hogs. Back then there were a lot more smaller farmers and they were delighted when someone asked if they could hunt them and would quite often show you where the critters were.

One thing that I think of concerning groundhogs is how destructive they can be. I've got 2 buildings that they continuously burrow under, and just short of pouring a new foundation under them (60+ year old stone foundations) I can fill a hole in with large stones and dirt they always seem to dig the old holes out. I've tried peeing in them but that doesn't seem to stop them much. I shot that last one and shoved some moth balls (wife's suggestion) into the hole before filling it and we'll see what happens. But in the mean time, I'll keep the pistols and rifles handy when I'm outside.

I thank the good Lord for living in the country and being able to shoot regularly.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have never even tried to make the 500 yard club. My fields offered 375 as max. Oh the back corner was 550 but could not get to it from off the jeeps hood.

Black jeep, man park that fryin pan in the shade. At least then your arms wont sizzle LOL ( using Harris and no rear bag ).

.243 i ran mostly, #1B first and then a few Rem 700/600. Honestly its got too much HP but offers some slop. Like a running away offhander not too distant.

.222 in my jaded opinion is the gentlemans cartridge. Ive shot a couple.w Hornets running factory ammo back in 80s and wasnt impressed. 22 250 is the king.....but its loud LOL.

223 is common and hard to beat.
    I just dont like 223.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Saw pops hit one at 450 but it made it down the hole..score as a miss.

Have shot em w various pistols, rifles and bows.

Used to be plenty to mess around like that.

I refuse to shoot em in the woods where they arent bother stuff. Did when squirrel hunting way back, as it was a monster. Proly 20 lbs or so. Didnt have scale. Thats big for these parts. Seen in VHM guys w 35 pounders.....dont even look like chucks IMHO.

Still feel bad about popping that big old dude.

Did have scale way back and a big one would go 15 or 16. Adults in fall 12 to 14.

Never shot one w tusks, but pops got one like that. Jaw misaligned so didnt wear down teeth. Never saw an albino.

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    If you find one far from his hole and you sneak up and get between him and his hole he will freeze. After a few trys to get around you he will just sit there nashing his teeth. You can honestly kill them with a baseball bat...
    A crescent wrench will work, too.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    If you find one far from his hole and you sneak up and get between him and his hole he will freeze. After a few trys to get around you he will just sit there nashing his teeth. You can honestly kill them with a baseball bat...
    Reminds me of a story a guy I used to work with told me. He was at home watching TV when he heard yelling outside. He gets up and looks out and there is a beater truck parked in the road, a guy with a baseball bat, a woman (sister/cousin/gf/wife/any combination of the previous) was yelling hit it agin honey, hit it agin(spelled like pronounced) and sounding excited, and a small critter (opossum/raccoon/woodchuck) in the middle of the road. He sat back down figuring someone was eating tonight. This was in town just a couple of blocks from downtown.

Top Bottom