• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    I sent a brief note to Groupon last week, short and simple, stating that because of their lack of support for the Bill of Rights, that I'd not be supporting their business.

I received a form letter reply, similar to that received by you others. They followed up to see how I liked their form letter.

Groupon says: "You recently spoke with Evan with regards to your Groupon Support question. We'd love to hear what you think of our customer service. Please take a moment to let us know how Evan did handling your inquiry."

In reply to that, I put a little more effort:

I did not "speak" with Evan. I received a form e-mail with the name "Evan S" appended to the end.

Your company's response is inadequate. And lacking in logic. You've never "sold guns"? I never questioned or implied that Groupon "sold guns."

You write that you are "pausing the promotion" of "deals" that support lawful and responsible businesses and activities. Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story wrote in 1833 that "The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic." Support of businesses that provide firearms training and practice opportunities INCREASE the safety of those communities. By your decision to "pause deals" that support training activities and practice opportunities, you are making clear that your company does not value the increased level of safety afforded by these programs, nor does it value these rights of which Justice Story writes. You demonstrate that your primary concern is with your image and with avoiding the controversy that goes along with standing up for principles. This is cowardice.

People across the land are speaking up to defend their rights. Even law enforcement officers around the country are standing up for the Bill of Rights, and voicing their positions on the attacks that face our Constitution (a sampling below).

Your company is bowing to emotional manipulation by the media and by those with political agendas. You sit by and give support to those seeking to strip the liberties of the American people. By your actions, I view your company as a party to the current attacks underway on the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

I urge you to change your position, and public state that your company values the individual rights of American citizens as guaranteed by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and affirmed by the US Supreme Court. I urge you to resume your support of businesses on which you are "pausing deals."

Sheriffs around the country state their opinions...

Charleston, SC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp1LATeozoM

Jackson County, KY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ9UdRLckSA and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzZzVkLqSjo

Linn County, OR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWBLh3k_97M

Osage County and Johnson County, MO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-uCFMSf69I

Martin County, FL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GiaMeq31eM

Elkhart County, IN: Guns in high demand in Goshen area » Local News » Goshen News, Goshen, IN

Last edited:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Folks - please keep the pressure on Groupon. We should all check out their daily deals at www.groupon.com every day (you don't need to be a subscriber to see the deals). Then let's contact the merchants who are being featured and ask them if they are comfortable being business partners with a company that has dropped all of its "gun related" deals, thereby declaring its opposition to the Second Amendment and law-abiding gun owners everywhere.

And if you haven't dropped your subscription yet, I encourage you to do so and tell them why at www.groupon.com/support.

Thanks, INGOers!!

Guy

bthomas

Marksman
    Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Winchester
    I sent groupon customer support a message, I tried to keep it short and sweet as I have a problem with putting words on paper. I hope it helps.

While I am not a subscriber to groupon, I plan on never being a subscriber. As a direct result of the suspension of "tactical firearms training" promotion. If you stand on the side of making firearms safer, why would you suspend a company that specializes in firearms safety. I remember hearing in a business class one time that a happy customer tells 3 people and a unhappy customer tells 20. I will be sure to do my part and tell as many people as possible.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Here is the email that I am sending to merchants that are currently offering deals through Groupon:

Hello. I see that you are offering a Groupon promotion. I am curious whether you know that Groupon has suspended all if its firearm-related promotions, which in my opinion clearly communicates Groupon's opposition to the Second Amendment and hostility toward law-abiding gun owners across America. Personally, I am not comfortable being a business partner with such a company, and have terminated by agreement with Groupon pursuant to paragraph 2 of their standard agreement, which states that either party may terminate the agreement at any time for any reason.

Thank you for your consideration.

Guy

bthomas

Marksman
    Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Winchester
    Groupon did give me a speedy response and this is what they had to say.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us.
    We understand that this is a sensitive topic, and that some of our customers may not agree with our choice to pause the promotion of firearm-related deals. Groupon has always aimed to offer a diverse range of products and services to meet the various tastes and interests of our subscribers. However, at this time, enough customers and merchants have voiced their opinions that we believe a hiatus is warranted.
    Please note that we have never sold guns, and this hiatus only applies to firearm-related deals including shooting ranges, clay pigeon shooting, and concealed weapons training classes. We have not made a final determination regarding this category -- we are simply taking a break and may reevaluate in the future.
    We genuinely appreciate your opinion and the feedback you've given us. I'll be sure to share your comments with the appropriate people.
    Regards,
    Randy B.
    Groupon Customer Support

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Groupon did give me a speedy response and this is what they had to say.

We understand that this is a sensitive topic, and that some of our customers may not agree with our choice to pause the promotion of firearm-related deals. Groupon has always aimed to offer a diverse range of products and services to meet the various tastes and interests of our subscribers. However, at this time, enough customers and merchants have voiced their opinions that we believe a hiatus is warranted.
    Please note that we have never sold guns, and this hiatus only applies to firearm-related deals including shooting ranges, clay pigeon shooting, and concealed weapons training classes. We have not made a final determination regarding this category -- we are simply taking a break and may reevaluate in the future.
    We genuinely appreciate your opinion and the feedback you've given us. I'll be sure to share your comments with the appropriate people.
    Regards,
    Randy B.
    Groupon Customer Support
    Same exact response I just got. They can't even articulate their position very well, other than saying, "we're just not sure what the hell to do".

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    After reading through this thread, none of the captain obviouses here :D pointed at the response saying that it was a business decision made based on the category being unpopular and with little interest, of course during the best possible market conditions for the category. Did the overwhelming demand for firearm related deals scare them?

I was thinking about looking for stuff there for a while.... Nope nope nope not anymore.

Haneda

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Here is the response I just got from Groupon

Regards,

Nicholas I
    Groupon Customer Support

Message-

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Here is the response I just got from Groupon

Regards,

Nicholas I
    Groupon Customer Support

Message-

I got the exact same response from Groupon.

Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    A Form Letter Response from Groupon is probably a good thing at this point?

They started with personal replies and have now received enough comments/feedback that they have produced and now distributing a form letter to make life easier for them. Soon the form letters will not be enough and they will either totally turn their back and or revert their stand. Either way, it's a loss of customers. IMO, they have burnt the bridge and have no chance of my future advertising and or purchasing from them.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Here's my email string to date(read it bottom to top):

ME, Jan 25 12:34 pm (CST):
    I note that you have never sold guns. I find it reprehensible that you feel it
    necessary to stop allowing offers your members demand, from retailers you take
    money from, that offer a legal activity to law abiding citzens.

There was a drunk driver that killed a person yesterday. Are you going to put
    all car related offers on hiatus too?
    ME
    Sent from ATT Email account

Subject: Re: Your Support Question (ticket #14663992)

Susan M, Jan 25 12:20 pm (CST):
    Hi ME,
    Regards,
    Susan M
    Groupon Customer Support

ME, Jan 24 01:25 pm (CST):
    I am a responsible citizen and a gun owner. I am disgusted that you are pulling firearm related groupons because of the senseless, insane acts of criminals. By refusing to do business with firearms related companies, you are punishing the law abiding and it will have zero effect on criminal behavior. Just like gun control laws, you are offering an emotional response rather than using critical reasoning.
    Criminals don't obey laws by definition.
    I have cancelled my subscription and will be encouraging others to do the same via social media and a 27,000 member gun owners forum as well.
    Goodbye.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Got this response:

We appreciate your perspective and will be sure that your feedback is communicated to the appropriate parties.

Regards,

Susan M
    Groupon Customer Support

Here's my email string to date(read it bottom to top):

ME, Jan 25 12:34 pm (CST):
    I note that you have never sold guns. I find it reprehensible that you feel it
    necessary to stop allowing offers your members demand, from retailers you take
    money from, that offer a legal activity to law abiding citzens.

There was a drunk driver that killed a person yesterday. Are you going to put
    all car related offers on hiatus too?
    ME
    Sent from ATT Email account

Subject: Re: Your Support Question (ticket #14663992)

Susan M, Jan 25 12:20 pm (CST):
    Hi ME,
    Regards,
    Susan M
    Groupon Customer Support

ME, Jan 24 01:25 pm (CST):
    I am a responsible citizen and a gun owner. I am disgusted that you are pulling firearm related groupons because of the senseless, insane acts of criminals. By refusing to do business with firearms related companies, you are punishing the law abiding and it will have zero effect on criminal behavior. Just like gun control laws, you are offering an emotional response rather than using critical reasoning.
    Criminals don't obey laws by definition.
    I have cancelled my subscription and will be encouraging others to do the same via social media and a 27,000 member gun owners forum as well.
    Goodbye.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    Placed my letter tonight. Incredible a business thinks it can survive with a business model based on ignorance.

Hi Jd,
    Thanks for your submission! Although we typically respond to most emails in less than 24 hours, we're running a little behind right now. You should hear from us in about 48 hours. Sorry in advance for the delay!
    Regards,
    Groupon Support
    support@groupon.com

Top Bottom