GSWs (cops and .mil please don't answer)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I was simply curious about other's experiences. I have taken trauma and treatment of GSW classes in the past, and they are great, but they cannot replicate the feeling that comes over you when faces with such things. I think some of the replies here illustrate that....like "I stood there like a dumbass wondering what to do". whatever you have pictured in your minds eye of what a GSW looks like may not be actually what one looks like. some are obviously catastrophic and some look like a large needle prick with little to no bleeding.

I just wanted to start this thread to get some replies and maybe open a few eyes since we all enjoy spending time with these instruments that are capable of seriously injuring or killing us.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Thank you for sharing, there are some excellent points. One thing I would like to add is don't have the attitude of "it won't/can't happen to me!" Because when it does, you will be greatly underprepared. I'm not saying that people are suggesting this on this forum, but in my line of work I see this a lot.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Back during my time as a volunteer firefighter, the shift Lt and myself responded to a 'accidental shooting'. The LT was a full timer and EMT. I was first responder certified. The guy had shot himself 'while cleaning his gun' in his garage. He was hit in his arm by a 22Lr round. Didn't appear like any bones were broken and it appeared the bullet excited his arm. We started treating the guy when the Lt gave me that 'look'. I walked outside and radioed dispatch for the county police to respond.

I didn't panic or freak out; was just a little nervous. Wasn't what I expected; guess I was looking the guy wasn't cleaning his shotgun.

Last edited:

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I've only seen gun shot wounds up close in the county morgue and forensic labs during field trips

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Yep

Answering anyway because we were so ill-prepared.

Saw a few during my career with IPD. We were issued very little first aid equipment and given bandaid training back in the 60s. Saw 2-3, IIRC, that were dead and were the only one who didn't know it. I knew just enough to realize there was nothing I could do. A few others died at or on the way to the hospital but back in those days you tried to stop the bleeding and get the victim to an ER ASAP. It's a different game today, thankfully.

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    Last summer I was upstairs in my house when I heard a lady screaming hysterically and running down my street, then straight to the neighbor's front porch (hispanics who did not speak english.) I ran down to see what was going on and as I was coming into the neighbor's yard I heard her scream she'd been shot while standing on the street corner (I should mention this was in Haughville, and she was a regular on that corner.) I dialed 911, and while giving them the info looked at the wound to see 1 neat little hole in her abdomen, with just a trickle of blood and no sign of an exit wound on her back. She seemed more pissed that the guy shot her than anything, and didn't seem to be too worried about the injury itself. Everything was in slow motion as I ran back to my house to grab a towel for her, and before I could return police and emt's were on the scene.

I remember the first thought through my mind when I saw the hole was "was she shot with a .22?" then the next thought was "don't touch her, who knows what she has!" That's the only GSW experience I have, and as uneventful as it was, hope it never happens again.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I willingly chose not to see two GSW's. I will make a long and personally traumatic story very short, but I was called to the home of a close friend who wanted me to check on the well being of his parents. They were deceased in a murder / suicide. Rather than go into the house (after I concluded that something was not right), I called the police. They entered the house and found both of them dead as soon as they entered the front door. They asked me to come in and make a positive ID.

My reply was "do I have to, or can I give verbal descriptions." They allowed me to give verbal descriptions and I didn't have to actually see the bodies. After I did, they gave me the bad news that both were deceased from gun-shot wounds to the chest.

I'm glad I didn't have to see that. Nearly puked my guts out at the news and what my imagination came up with, let alone having to tell my friend what had happened. I'm sure my dinner that night would have actually come out if I had seen them.

All that said, I have been the first on scene at a few car accidents, and other than the adrenaline rush of the "OMG...this is really happening" I've been pretty calm and collected dealing with things, even rendering some very basic first aid and calling for the professionals. I've had that post adrenaline dump queesiness and shakes from those encounters, but never lost my lunch. I hope and pray I never have to deal with a GSW first hand, but if I do, I'm counting on my body to slow things down (like has seemed to happen in the past in other traumatic situations) and allow me to act as appropriate. I probably should add this to my training to do list...

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    No amount of training will help you prepare for that lurching feeling in your stomach that you are in charge of a trauma and that they have very little time to get help.

This is why I don't personally carry a typical bug out bag, but a mobile trauma pack. I don't have IV's or anything, but I have most of what I need to deal with just about anything that can come my way.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I watched my mother get shot five times with a .38 Special. Since it was in 1970, I assume it was 158 gr. LRN. She didn't make it and I wasn't able to do anything as I was 3 1/2 years old.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    a GSW is basically the same as any traumatic injury , except the victim is seldom impaled on the gun , & any shooting is automatically a crime scene..

you try to control the bleeding & get the person to the hospital.
    if the gun is still around do not mess with it.. get police to it ..

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    It was kind of unbelievable and I just acted on instinct. Shot in the ankle. Layer him on the couch and elevated his leg. I cut his jeans leg off and tied his sock around his shin.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I was simply curious about other's experiences. I have taken trauma and treatment of GSW classes in the past, and they are great, but they cannot replicate the feeling that comes over you when faces with such things. I think some of the replies here illustrate that....like "I stood there like a dumbass wondering what to do". whatever you have pictured in your minds eye of what a GSW looks like may not be actually what one looks like. some are obviously catastrophic and some look like a large needle prick with little to no bleeding.

I just wanted to start this thread to get some replies and maybe open a few eyes since we all enjoy spending time with these instruments that are capable of seriously injuring or killing us.

I saw a cab driver who was robbed and shot with a .22 in the chest. It was a very small hole and a couple of drops of blood. It was the first time I had ever seen anyone shot and killed by a handgun. Now, you can go to the other end of the spectrum and imagine the worst possible scene.

Compuvette

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I saw a guy take a 9mm FMJ to the arm at Knob Creek a couple years ago. Stupid guy was walking in the woods around the "jungle shoot" and got hit. He walked up to the ambulance so it didn't look like it affected his ability too badly.

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    You mean 'ambulance driver???'

Pretty much in Indiana that's all we can be..... I'm working on taking the National Standard for the Basic level..... Then starting my Paramedic course in January.

In my Basic clinical's, worked in Fort Wayne on TRAA the one night with one of the paramedics that works for Adams Co as well, and we had a multiple GSW. At that point it was control bleeding, monitor vitals, get him O2 and head for the closest hospital(ended up being Parkview Randallia)

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Actually I was wondering about the question.

Me too. Do the answers really have any statistical meaning? I learned that I just did what I had to do. What I wanted, didn't enter into the equation. It wasn't a question of emotion or feelings.

My experience was in 1970 in Viet-Nam courtesy of our fine government.
    Another time....another place.

"Fighting To Survive....SUCKS. Fight To WIN"

Top Bottom