• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Guinness is just a stepping stone to "big" beers OP.

Beware the path that lies ahead of you. It's an expensive hobby lol.

I don't know that I would classify Guinness as a "big" beer in today's market. It comes in at a paltry ~4.3%abv. With beers registering in the 5-7% range as the "norm" these days, Guinness falls fairly short of the "big" beer category. It also lacks the requisite mouthfeel (body), flavor, and aroma characteristics, and is fairly watery compared to more true examples of the style.

I find it debatable that the BJCP even lists them as a commercial example of a dry stout. As I don't seem to agree with them that it has maintained it's adherence to the characteristics of the style. I am sure at one time it was a fine example of a dry stout, but I think over the years they have tailored the recipe to reach a broader target market. But that is just my opinion, there are those out there a lot more knowledgeable than myself whom write the style guidelines.
    BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 13

10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    LOVE Guinness, it's my beer of choice. Guinness for strength; Jameson for courage.

For those of you that visit Las Vegas, the one and only Guinness retail store in the Unites States (as of summer 2012) is there, in the Mandalay Bay shops. If you want something with the Guinness logo, they've got it. :yesway:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Trust me - there is waaaay more in the shop in Vegas than what is available online.

The St James Gate Brewery has a huge store as well. I was a little disappointed with the tour as it was more of a museum than a brewery tour, but I still recommend making the trip if you happen to be in Ireland. We went during the week of St Patrick's Day, so things got a little nutty.

nmcqueen469

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Whitley County
    I don't know that I would classify Guinness as a "big" beer in today's market. It comes in at a paltry ~4.3%abv. With beers registering in the 5-7% range as the "norm" these days, Guinness falls fairly short of the "big" beer category. It also lacks the requisite mouthfeel (body), flavor, and aroma characteristics, and is fairly watery compared to more true examples of the style.

I find it debatable that the BJCP even lists them as a commercial example of a dry stout. As I don't seem to agree with them that it has maintained it's adherence to the characteristics of the style. I am sure at one time it was a fine example of a dry stout, but I think over the years they have tailored the recipe to reach a broader target market. But that is just my opinion, there are those out there a lot more knowledgeable than myself whom write the style guidelines.
    BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 13

I think you've misunderstood me. I said it is a "stepping stone" to big beers.

I agree that Guinness is far from a big beer.

Now one of the Darklords, KBS, BCS, or home brewed barley wines in my stash...those are big beers!

SecondhandSnake

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    So much alike, you and I. We should really sit down for a pint some time.

To the OP: If you find yourself enjoying ales of the stout variety, there are many many quality stouts out there to be had. Look into some of the smaller breweries and their different offerings.

One I might suggest, if you can get find it and get past the hefty price tag, is Sun King Ring of Dingle dry irish stout. There are many varieties of stouts out there; Dry, Sweet, Oatmeal, American, Foreign Extra, Russian imperial..... Try them all, find the ones you like, and keep quaffing.

Eventually you will learn to start loving the Imperial stouts, with their roasted barley, maltiness and hints of bittersweet coffee goodness, they will warm you up on cold night and quench your thirst for something filling.

I might have to try the Imperial stouts.

I do highly recommend the oatmeal stouts. The Pearl St. Grill and Brewery in Buffalo, NY had an excellent oatmeat stout. I believe it was called "street brawler."

And as sidearmed said- you'll have to try lots of them. I've been through dozens and only a few were worth coming back to.

Pat your taste buds on the back. You successfully noticed that Guinness caters their beer specially for the middle of the US beer drinking market. The common US imported Guinness draught is a "light" version of what they famously export to the rest of the world. Look for Guinness Foreign Extra next time you're at the liquor store. It's got a yellow label. It's the best guiness product I've tasted.

I'm glad someone else mentioned it. Foreign Extra is excellent. A little tougher to find, but definitely worth it.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I think you've misunderstood me. I said it is a "stepping stone" to big beers.

I agree that Guinness is far from a big beer.

Now one of the Darklords, KBS, BCS, or home brewed barley wines in my stash...those are big beers!

Mmmmmmm...... KBS :drool:
    This reminds me I have a few '08 & '09s in the cellar still. :D

Please, pardon me for the misunderstanding. I feel we are on the same page.

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    Guinness is a great beer only because it's on nitrogen (and one of the only). Their black lager and extra/export stout are only mediocre at best. If you look hard there are a few other Irish beers in nitrogen cans and they are usually a bit better.

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    There is a HUGE difference in a Guinness that is in a nitrogen mixed gas system and one in standard C02 system. Most places tap Guinness with C02, and it tastes pretty bad. The best Guinness I have had in Indiana is at Nine Irish Brothers in West Lafayette. They were awarded Best Pint in the USA by Guinness in 2008 and 2009. I love Guinness but generally don't order it because I know it won't taste like Nine Irish's Guinness. I got spoiled because I went to Purdue and that's when I became fond of Guinness.

http://www.nineirishbrothers.com/node/51

piper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Any Guiness is my preferred drink . Although I'am not a big fan of Killians which is ironic considering my first name happens to be Killian.

Top Bottom