• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The first rule of gun safety of The Four Rules is that "all guns are always loaded." The Queen of Snark takes on the Aspies of the Internet and the recurrent theme of "no, it ain't".

safety%2Bhk.jpg

It's there for a reason. It's about creating habits, and not creating unwanted holes.

View From The Porch: Safety Is For Always

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My first thought was where's Kirk and my second thought was of Slim.

Not going to read their blog just wanted to see who's here.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    ... small town Indiana police chief who creased his leg with his duty Glock because he holstered it along with the drawstring on his jacket?

Wait - that's happened more than once?

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    "I'm INGO famous!" Though it's probably better to just keep posting emojis than point out the flaw in the "always" logic. Again.

I'm not reading the blog either but if it's the same chief, he's now shot himself three times.

"Always follow the 4 Safety Rules except...."

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    This is the best explanation of the 4 rules that I've seen yet....especially the angst inducing rule 1....

[video=youtube;o6Y7LIJm5gI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Y7LIJm5gI[/video]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having more than once been handed an unloaded (but very loaded) gun and once nearly having an accident with said gun I always follow the #1..........always.

I have removed a gun from the safe I was sure not to be loaded as I "Always" unload (check) everything......yup, it was loaded and in condition 1.

We are human and prone to mistakes.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Having more than once been handed an unloaded (but very loaded) gun and once nearly having an accident with said gun I always follow the #1..........always.

I have removed a gun from the safe I was sure not to be loaded as I "Always" unload (check) everything......yup, it was loaded and in condition 1.

We are human and prone to mistakes.

There is a distinction between not knowing and learning and being willfully ignorant. The gun behavior described in the OP link and photo is insane.

People should know better, but they refuse to learn. They prefer the carpet is combed in the same direction rather than preventing injury, arrest or death.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Key points from the post (IMHO):

"The entire point of Rule One is that when you are handling a firearm, you need to be mindful."

"I want the default, habitual behavior for when there is a gun-shaped object in my hand to be caution and awareness."

The default attitude toward firearms should always be one of respect. I think of rule #1 as a rule about attitude.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I guess I am a latecomer to arguing the 4 rules.

Waaaaaay back, in WV Hunter Safety class, we were taught safety rules and given a bunch of shoot / don't shoot videos. I will never forget the one (1) of two (2) hunters walking just over a ridge line with one under the rear haunches and one under the front giving the appearance that the deer was walking just over the ridge line. I remember a large portion of our class taking the shot by a show of hands.

Words to avoid in a marriage or friendly conversation with people whom you want to remain friends....."always, never"
    Words to use when attempting to achieve perfection......"always, never"

To quote Vince, "Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

Now does that mean that even those who "follow" the 4 rules "always follow"? No, however, I fail to see any reason/situation where attempting to do so is a bad thing.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have an over flowing coffee cup full of rounds from "unloaded guns"......

What's funny is the one's that scare me the most anymore are muzzleloaders...I would say roughly 20% of the muzzleloaders brought in here to be sold are loaded...Mostly it's by accident but one guy had brought me a high end in line...He just had it on the counter and while I was working up an offer I grabbed a ramrod I keep close by and slid it down the bore only to hear that dull brass on lead "thud" that tells me there is a round in the chamber..

He then said, "Yeah...I meant to tell you it was loaded..."

I pointed to my "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" sign and then pointed to the door...

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    This is the best explanation of the 4 rules that I've seen yet....especially the angst inducing rule 1....

[video=youtube;o6Y7LIJm5gI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Y7LIJm5gI[/video]
    Amen!

And, thanks... watched a few other videos and looks like a good Youtube channel.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I got into a discussion on another forum where the following video was posted. I made the comment that even with the slide jammed back and visibly being able see the chamber is empty, the amount of times the guy puts a finger, thumb, or other part of his hand in front of the barrel makes me nervous. A couple of other posters said I was being a nervous nelly but in my mind, the more often you repeat an action, the more likely you are to do it the majority of the time. I know two people who were shot by an unloaded weapon, so I make no apologies about being a little overly cautious.

[video=youtube;V2iIgyd-ufU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2iIgyd-ufU[/video]

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    I made the comment that even with the slide jammed back and visibly being able see the chamber is empty, the amount of times the guy puts a finger, thumb, or other part of his hand in front of the barrel makes me nervous. A couple of other posters said I was being a nervous nelly but in my mind, the more often you repeat an action, the more likely you are to do it the majority of the time.

Plopping his digits up there in that instance serves no function except to instill "muscle memory*" of bad habits.

*Yes, you in the back with your hand raised, I know muscles don't have memories; we'll discuss myelination at a later date. :D

Top Bottom