• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    Semiauto pistol: Ruger (SR1911 and/or SR9 and/or mk 1 and/or mk 2 and/or mk 3 and/or sr22), Sig, HK
    Single-action revolver: Ruger
    Double action revolver: Ruger
    Rifle: Ruger (semi), Remington (centerfire bolt)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Remington 700 Tactical or similar series rifles... For some reason, people buy them, then resell them at huge mark up with no glass or extras...

For a good value, then resale value, Glocks are slipping, but still way up there. Glocks are flooded right now market wise, so demand isn't as high. M&Ps are rising quick in terms of resellability. The Shield, due to scarcity, is VERY good in resale, with used guns going for NEW MSRP on the open market and going fast.

1911s, really depends. Yeah, Wilson, etc... are going to maintain their value. For a less expensive gun, Springer Milspecs and GIs. Those guns hold value like you would not believe, market scarcity (barely any in the shops) and known brand make them a star seller in the used categories.

Revolvers, Rugers are going through some price increases, but generally hold pretty well, particularly the GP. SP101s hold really well (again, people selling used for new and getting it). Smiths, hit or miss: the brand name is really the only thing propping it up. During the last recession, the brand name didn't hold up so well against the general tides of "what's your best price" for used pieces. Performance center models do well, as do the later model "classic" series. But their reproduction of older models dont do well (sell slow in shops due to high MSRP, little movement as people want to recoup costs, combined with market scarcity).

Sigs: High initial costs, very high quality, inherent value due to name recognition, etc... all make Classic P series Sigs a good investment.

Shotguns: CZ or Browning. I have yet to see a Gold or Silver Hunter go for under MSRP in a used category and after handling a Silver Hunter in person once, I can see why. CZ, it's a market scarcity thing combined with darn good quality.

Brands to avoid for "Resale Value":

Taurus: They made "decent" guns, but all in all, they aren't worth anything in the used market, despite people clinging on and trying to sell them for weird amounts. I see people that try to sell banged up Milleniums for close to new and they wonder why they don't go. A percieved value is there by the owners, but this doesn't hold up in the real world. Their main thing is word of mouth and the strength (or ignorance) of that percieved value. They made (not make) decent arms.

EAA: Great guns, awesome values for the buck, but seemingly doesn't hold well in the used market. It's a brand thing, I guess, doesn't seem to be a "ah ha!" reason off the bat. Buy an EAA, don't count on getting much on it. People rarely get rid of them, thus the market isn't necessarily saturated with them, but their lack of marketing and their questionable efficacy as a carry gun (the fullsize steel frame, weight... Good luck, get one hell of a belt) keeps them at bay.

Springfield XD: Yes, the people that have them, love em. But, a lack of "OMG, the FBI or <insert police departments> use them" harms the line. Plus, the myriad of lines they now make can overwhelm the average buyer. The original XD line (nor XDM, XDS, XDMc or XDMWTF) cannot hold up in the used market: Too low of an inital selling cost and they just aren't there in the popularity department with a wide variety of people, mostly to value minded individuals who want something better than a Sigma, but not quite a Glock price tag.

SigPros: Awesome guns for the price! Absolutely accurate, easy to shoot, low recoil despite bore axis being higher than a giraffes ego, etc... But their low, value minded cost, doesn't support it. There is not "OMG" factor to them and that hurts. Second to that is their width makes them only a decent "carry" gun. I've had them, I know what I am talking about. Their low capacity for size (similar height pistols have more rounds on tap) can thump percieved value to someone doing research.

Ruger P series: Reliable, somewhat accurate, but heavy: These guns come charging in at a price that only a fool would ignore. But sadly, their inexpensive methods and lack of marketing makes them a "what's your lowest dollar" gun.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Pistols I think Kimber,HK and SIG are all notables. Rifle I think vary greatly on class. A 700 sendero will holds it value greater than say an SPS same goes for other popular makes as well as shotguns. shotguns

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Colt seems to be big and hold value, especially the older rifles and handguns.
    For older USGI .... any USGI 1911 and International Harvester Garands

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I say Glock for sure. The name is the new Coca-Cola of hand guns. If you are selling on armslist the new buyer is looking for a Glock. In this climate when so many first time gun buyers are showing up. Glock is what they are looking for. I think 9mm G17 G19 is the hottest and g26s.

This is why I say Glock as well. It's just such a recognizable name that many people with limited to no gun experience will pay more because they are familiar with the name. The gun enthusiasts may know better, but the "Billy bad*sses" of the world who want to brag and show off to their buddies will instantly buy Glock for the brand.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Words of advise passed on to me as a kid with a love of collecting guns.

Back in the good old days (1980's) a good friend of my fathers told me to look for good deals on browning firearms. He told me that the older guys from WWII era would not buy Japan made guns or cars or tv's. He said the new Japan brownings were every bit as good or better than the older Belgium made guns. He He was very right.

He also told me that some of the best guns to own would never be worth collectiing because they made so many of them. Ruger 10-22, Rem 870, Glock, ect. Look for special editions or less popular varants of them like the ruger 96-22 over the 10-22 or ruger gov'ment mark II over the Mark II standard. Pay the extra up front.

He told me to collect what I loved to shoot thus started my collection of 22 rimfire lever actions.

Back in the good old days thanks to a miami Vice TV fetish I purchased a bren ten pistol. Since it always jammed I sold it off with a little profit after waiting 15 months for the good magazines to arrive in country. They are now worth a lot more than I sold it for about 4 times the amount. Never can tell what is going to be a collectable.

I purchased a Ruger 3 screw blackhawk 357 never bastartized by the recall. Nice revolver but never went up in price more than inflation. Should have paid the extra for a Colt Diamondback. Never can tell what is going to be a collectable.

Back in the day a good Savage model 24 was 150 bucks tops. A good winchester 94 30-30 200 to 250 in Kentucky. garands at CMP were 400 and number matched. Look at the price now minus inflation. Never can tell what is going to be a collectable.

Personally I see Grandpa shotguns as being a good deal. Not lots of people seem to hold on to a Winchester model 12/37 red label , browning A-5, Or superposed if you have a silly black gun to trade off. They still make black guns. They will not be making those shotguns again they way they did before.

If you want to make more than the bank will give you on intrest and inflation any quality forearm in excellent condition will make 5% over inflation over time.

Find something you love and start getting them. Avoid the 870 express over the wingmaster (Example) spend the extra on the better one. Getting a 10-22 is a great Idea for shooting not collecting. I think there is a 10-22 in every safe in america.

GWC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    Lowell
    has to be HK,
    SIG Sauer, and Glock, as far as handguns go. quality, dependability, and aesthetics will always ultimately drive re-sale value, that's why Ruger didn't make my list, great quality, and dependable, but god- awful ugly at times.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Yes, but they are learning. Besides, I see threads I haven't seen because I haven't really been around that long either. We are a fun bunch GWC, you'll see.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Why do you think I hang out in the cz thread... Lots of knowledge and experience spews out of there. These guys are great. Soaking of which, we need to hit the range soon. It's been a minute.

Lol the lost links.....Definitely as I wont be able to attend the spring gala. Im off Sun/Mon for as far as I can tell unless they lay 2 guys off at our yard.

As to add to the thread:
    S&W 3rd gen pistols. 5906's all day for 350 and some of the more exotic offerings have slowly risen in price since I was bit by the bug in 2012.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Ok adding to the thread.

G***k holds its value. Most steel framed guns hold their value decently.

Rifles- I just don't see many rifles holding their value nearly as well as handguns. Lever guns are these exception.

GWC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    Lowell
    ive been searching for a HK P30L in 9mm they are impossible to find, I shot my buddies and fell in love. HK seems to hold value well, I would buy used but cant find one used either.

Top Bottom