Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was thinking that the first time around it was kind of "buggy" and TexKev even disabled it for a time. Maybe they've got a better version now.

Edit: Also, I never log out, so would it log me out and then ask me to log in again with a new code?
    Every 30 days it just asks you for the new code to proceed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Every 30 days it just asks you for the new code to proceed.

It seemed awkward to me to use a third party app as authenticator?

The other sites I use that require 2FA are a little more seamless, using their own app or txt messaging.

That said, after my account being hacked a few weeks ago, I've began to get used to the Google Authenticator app after a couple months. Having to remember that odd app that doesn't get used for anything else.

I guess it could be worse? Could be having to go through an endless recapcha loop of hunting fire hydrants and bicycles? :xmad:

I think I've had to go to the (Google Authenticator,) phone app, when INGO needed authenticating a time or two on the desktop? Wonder if there is a way to authenticate on a desktop if the phone is not available?

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Too close for comfort
    It seemed awkward to me to use a third party app as authenticator?

The other sites I use that require 2FA are a little more seamless, using their own app or txt messaging.

That said, after my account being hacked a few weeks ago, I've began to get used to the Google Authenticator app after a couple months. Having to remember that odd app that doesn't get used for anything else.

I guess it could be worse? Could be having to go through an endless recapcha loop of hunting fire hydrants and bicycles? :xmad:

I think I've had to go to the (Google Authenticator,) phone app, when INGO needed authenticating a time or two on the desktop? Wonder if there is a way to authenticate on a desktop if the phone is not available?
    Have it send you an email instead of a text, no phone needed

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Have it send you an email instead of a text, no phone needed

Thanks, but maybe I'm missing something? I have not gotten any notifications of needing authentication. Just attempted logging on as usual sends me to the number code needed page?

I seemingly have to generate the number code in Google Authenticator and then physically type those numbers into INGO, before they quickly change?

:dunno:

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Sorry guys this was not me, i just reset my password so no one can access my account again.
    I'm curious, was your previous password for the forum one you used elsewhere? That could explain it.

Weak sites get popped and reused passwords get tried elsewhere. That or just good old fashioned password spray attack if the password is an easy one.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I was thinking that the first time around it was kind of "buggy" and TexKev even disabled it for a time. Maybe they've got a better version now.

Edit: Also, I never log out, so would it log me out and then ask me to log in again with a new code?
    Every 30 days. I use it with an authenticator app so I just copy and paste the current code.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Too close for comfort
    Thanks, but maybe I'm missing something? I have not gotten any notifications of needing authentication. Just attempted logging on as usual sends me to the number code needed page?

I seemingly have to generate the number code in Google Authenticator and then physically type those numbers into INGO, before they quickly change?

:dunno:
    Under 'Your Account > Settings > Password and Security, change the type of 2FA you want to use to 'Email Confirmation'

(site won't let me insert an image right now for some reason...)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm really digging MFA that uses push alerts. Got several systems at the office that do that. "Are you logging into _______? Tap yes or no" Super slick and no codes to enter.

You dont want to use texted codes because sms is the easiest to hijack with a sim swap.

And the 3rd party apps arent exactly 3rd party per se. It uses a 3rd party app, yes. But the way it works is when you register your app, it receives the info to know how to sync the codes. And literally like clockwork, each side changes the rolling code.
    The great thing about OTP apps, is you can use one app for all* of your accounts. I've got like 20 different accounts (including INGO) in my Microsoft authenticator.

*all the sites that allow generic OTP providers

What annoys me is at work when we deploy and folks without a company cell refuse to install the app, or use their existing OTP app to authenticate with our system. They dont use enough memory to matter, they dont use any bandwidth, etc. Its just so we can prove you are you.

CopperheadL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2017
    Usa
    I'm curious, was your previous password for the forum one you used elsewhere? That could explain it.

Weak sites get popped and reused passwords get tried elsewhere. That or just good old fashioned password spray attack if the password is an easy one.
    yes, i used it elsewhere, thankfully no where important.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    If ever there was a thread to get naked and streak through it...this is it.
    It will be like groundhog day(the movie)...maybe...well possibly. Ok, maybe we do not need to see any streakers. It was just an idea.

Shhhhhuuushh!
    You and all this talk about getting naked and streaking and movies and groundhogs.... stop it.
    You're gonna get @printcraft all revved up, and then we are gonna have a problem, me and you.
    So just stop
    !

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom