• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jakeep

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Plainfield
    I've been saving an unshootable POS .22 revolver. I'd let a buy back program give me $100 for it. I'd spend it right back on another gun.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I still chuckle over the last buyback in Indianapolis this past summer sponsored by "The Reverends." I took a POS .22 revolver frame and plasti-strapped an old .38 cylinder to it. As I handed it over, the guy said "hey, thanks for disassembling this for us...saved us some effort." I thought I was gonna have to beat my wife to keep her from laughing so hard. :D

Easiest $50 I ever made. God Bless America. :patriot:

MeltonLaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Downtown Indy
    Thought I saw a discussion on here of a New Albany buy back where they were supposedly paying $200-$300, worth a two hour drive south to sell a 75$ gun for $300.

GunGunDin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Most of the time the idea behind the buy back is to is.just to get a few gun off the streets or out of grandma's sock drawer

No BG is going to give up their gun
    It jist might keep some stupid kid from getting shot
    you've just got to manage expectations

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I remember one case where they were offering $100 cash. They caught a man that was going to the local KMart and buying NEF single shots for $59 on sale and going down the block and collecting the $100 each. I think that is why you do not see any programs offereing cash anymore. I still laugh about that.

I also have an old junker that I bought to get parts out of that I am saving for a buy back program. I only paid $30 for it and got the parts I wanted. Money in the bank.

Samplejs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    my personal opinion is the real goal of these programs is to get a "Big Pile O' Guns" that can be showcased on the nightly news. Everyone involved knows these programs are useless, but if you can get a picture of a "Big Pile O' Guns" on the news, all the scared little sheep feel much safer before bed. That is called political gold and well worth the money they spend on the crap for the pile.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I remember when you could buy dirt cheap pistols for $40. The old single shot or derringers. I knew people who would go buy a new one, take it to the buy back program and pocket the profit. Others would simply take unusable guns and try and get some money to buy a good one. I would never participate in one even at a profit, I don't want the records to reflect they are working and give the media the false information that "we the people" support giving up our guns.

Rand60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Gun Buy back

My understanding is that this is just a miss-guided attempt to get guns out of circulation. The authorities pay the public with gift certificates to bring in unwanted guns to get them out of circulation. They idea is that fewer guns will reduce gun violence. The problem is that no studies have ever showed this to be helpful. This makes some people feel good but does not help society in any way.

CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    Guns flood into police buyback programs, though critics have doubts about the idea

pb-121226-guns-jb-02.photoblog600.jpg
    Joe Klamar / AFP - Getty Images
    LAPD officer checks an assault weapon received during a gun buyback in Los Angeles on Wednesday.

By Isolde Raftery, NBC News
    In the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary shootings, cities and police departments across the country organized events to buy back guns, hoping, they say, that fewer firearms on the street translates to fewer shooting deaths.
    In Los Angeles, a gun buyback scheduled for May was pushed up to Wednesday because, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa told Marketplace.org, “People said, ‘I don’t want to wait on the Congress. I’m tired of the endless debates about responsible gun control legislation. I want to do my part.’”
    That buyback in the Van Nuys district brought in 2,037 guns, including 75 assault-style weapons, NBCLosAngeles.com reported.
    Gun buybacks are proving so popular that U.S. Rep. Gerald Connolly, D-Va., and Ted Deutch, D-Fla., have asked Congress to set aside $200 million for gun buyback programs, saying that amount could remove “one million guns from our streets.”
    But critics say buybacks are a fruitless exercise – more political theater than effective policy.
    “It’s like trying to drain the Pacific with a bucket,” Alex Tabarrock of the conservative Independent Institute told USA Today in 2008. There are an estimated 310 million guns in the U.S. -- about one for every U.S. resident.
    PhotoBlog: Buyback in Los Angeles brings in hundreds of guns
    A 2004 report released by the National Academies of Sciences called the premise for gun buyback programs “flawed.”
    “The guns typically surrendered in gun buy-backs are those that are least likely to be used in criminal activities,” the report says. “Old, malfunctioning guns whose resale value is less than the reward offered in buy-back programs or guns owned by individuals who derive little value from the possession of guns (e.g. those who have inherited guns).”
    Such criticism hasn't stopped police departments, which have hosted gun buybacks for years, encouraging residents to turn in their firearms – no questions asked – for cash or gift cards, usually $50 to $250. Some police departments offer a sliding scale, giving more money for semi-automatic firearms, which were used in the ambush on firefighters in Webster, N.Y., last week, the Newtown shootings two weeks ago, at the Sikh temple attack in Oak Creek, Wis., in August and in the theater shooting in Aurora, Colo., in July.
    Among those turning in their guns in events this month were parents and grandparents who told reporters they worried about having weapons around.
    A grandmother in Brooklyn attended a gun buyback the day after the Connecticut school shooting on Dec. 14 and told gothamist.com that fatal shooting of 20 children -- most of them 6 years old -- moved her to hand in her gun.
    TSA confiscates record number of guns at US airports in 2012
    “It should inspire everyone,” she said. “We’ve got to protect our children. I couldn’t wait for today to come so I could get rid of it. The shooting yesterday was an eye-opener. It was bone-chilling.”
    In Camden County, N.J., police heard from residents who wanted to turn in their weapons in light of the Newtown shootings. The buyback there retrieved more than 1,100 weapons, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
    That buyback was so successful that officials handed out all of the $110,000 in forfeited money that the Attorney General's Office had provided. They gave $39,000 in IOUs that they will honor with future forfeited money. Nearly all of the guns were operable, according to the Inquirer.
    In Ithaca, N.Y., the Police Department announced plans for a gun buyback to “remove unwanted guns from our community before they fall into the hands of those that may do harm.”
    In southern Florida, an Uzi submachine gun “like the one used by Scarface” was turned in to a buyback sponsored last weekend by the Opa-locka Police Department, the Miami Herald reported.
    Two Uzi-style guns turned up at a buyback Friday in San Diego that was sponsored by African-American ministers. That buyback retrieved 360 weapons before 10 a.m., according to The Atlantic.
    Bill Stowers, 59, told the Los Angeles Times he attended the San Diego gun buyback because he worried that his 12-gauge shotgun might fall into the wrong hands given the break-ins in his neighborhood.
    "I don't need this shotgun sitting around," Stowers said. He received a $50 gift card.
    Reps. Connolly and Deutch, who proposed that $200 million be set aside for gun buybacks, say the gun buybacks would be a start, not a cure-all, to gun violence. In a letter to House Speaker John Boehner and Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, they wrote:
    The murder of 20 youngsters and six educators in their classrooms has galvanized the public’s desire for immediate action, and partnering with the States on a nationwide gun buyback program is a modest, common-sense start.

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    It kind of sounds better directed towards people who simply don't know where else to throw away an unwanted gun rather than a greater good BS angle. Kind of like taking an old, broken lawnmower to the dump.

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    my personal opinion is the real goal of these programs is to get a "Big Pile O' Guns" that can be showcased on the nightly news. Everyone involved knows these programs are useless, but if you can get a picture of a "Big Pile O' Guns" on the news, all the scared little sheep feel much safer before bed. That is called political gold and well worth the money they spend on the crap for the pile.

And here's your winner.

Gun buy backs are just more liberal 'look at me I'm doing stuff, re-elect me' programs that waste money we don't have and don't really deter violence.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    The goal is to get BG's to turn in stolen guns and grandma's to turn in old guns. The real result is that people see a way to unload junk guns for higher than market value.

They've been proven to be ineffective in getting "guns off the streets".

EDIT:

Liberals never stop just because their program doesn't work. Rationality is not their strong suit.

50 posts = access to classified. 223 Gunner thinks you started this thread by asking a question he deems is mundane in order for you to boost your post count. It happens, but you've been here since June so I don't think that was your motive.

Actually the goal has nothing to do with having BGs turn in guns.

The goal to create a media event so that the anti-gun people can have a marketing opportunity and the news people can utter their favorite phrase - "Keeping you safe."

It is one more opportunity for the media and the ass-clowns in government to try to perpetuate the myth of "safety" as supplied by the ass-clowns.

Top Bottom