Gun carry and possession in State Parks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    I wanted to check real quick before I went camping tonight.

Anyone know if there are any laws regulating carrying a handgun or possessing a handgun in Indiana State Parks?

I have my LTCH, and of course will be taking it with me. I wasn't sure and just wanted to know because ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Be sure to have a little card on you that explains your gun possessing rights to give to any officer that harasses you. I got harassed in Brown County State Park, it sucked. More importantly, always have a pad of paper and a pen on you so you can write down the situation and the officers info and the Number of his superior.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Be sure to have a little card on you that explains your gun possessing rights to give to any officer that harasses you. I got harassed in Brown County State Park, it sucked. More importantly, always have a pad of paper and a pen on you so you can write down the situation and the officers info and the Number of his superior.

You mean that officers who patrol inside Brown County State Park dont even know that it's legal to carry there? :dunno:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You mean that officers who patrol inside Brown County State Park dont even know that it's legal to carry there? :dunno:
    Correct, and fairly common. State Parks (DNR properties) were off limits until a few years ago. Officer and staff training hasn't really caught up, and some folks just stick to their opinion rather than law. Heck, some DNR print material still has the old "rule" on it.

I'd guess the busy parks are less friendly to OC and carry in general. I've never been hassled at the smaller parks I visit.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Correct, and fairly common. State Parks (DNR properties) were off limits until a few years ago. Officer and staff training hasn't really caught up, and some folks just stick to their opinion rather than law. Heck, some DNR print material still has the old "rule" on it.

I'd guess the busy parks are less friendly to OC and carry in general. I've never been hassled at the smaller parks I visit.

Good to know.I will make sure to bring my own print material then.:rolleyes:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

The guys inside the parks always aren't the best, and many don't know anything about guns or knives. Best bet for Brown County anything is try to avoid them, some are good and actually know the laws, some remind you of the Sheriff off of Rambo.

I went canoeing in Shades Park and Turkey Run this weekend, brought my .45 and some big a** knives (overnight trip and were allowed to camp outside the parks), I was so ready to lecture some park rangers if they gave me any crap.

Top Bottom