• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    From my reading and understanding of the below information, it reads to me that persons who may legally possess a firearm while at work irregardless as to whether or not the employer allows the carrying of said weapons on the premises vs being locked in a car.Sec. 6. A public or private employer doing business in Indiana may not:
    (1) require an applicant for employment or an employee to disclose information about whether the
    applicant or employee owns, possesses, uses, or transports a firearm or ammunition, unless the disclosure
    concerns the possession, use, or transportation of a firearm or ammunition that is used in fulfilling the duties
    of the employment of the individual; or
    (2) condition employment, or any rights, benefits, privileges, or opportunities offered by the
    employment, upon an agreement that the applicant for employment or the employee forego the:
    (A) rights of the applicant or employee under this chapter; or
    (B) otherwise lawful:
    (i) ownership;
    (ii) possession;
    (iii) storage;
    (iv) transportation; or
    (v) use;
    of a firearm or ammunition.

IC 34-28-7

Is this correct?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Mostly except for exempt places. ie schools etc. Otherwise it is not a crime but if your employer finds out you can be fired.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Correct but employers in Indiana do not need a reason to terminate an employee. From my understanding, as long as they don't officially state they fired you for having a gun, they are in the clear.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Correct but employers in Indiana do not need a reason to terminate an employee. From my understanding, as long as they don't officially state they fired you for having a gun, they are in the clear.

I sincerely hate Indiana's Businesses > People laws...

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I've been a union rep for 30 yrs for the USW.It's harder for companies to fire people if your union, sometimes good, sometimes bad. But if your not union they can give any reason to fire you. My advice would be to keep a journal of things said and done in the work place, if a manager has repeatedly said over time how he dislikes your right to keep your firearm in your car, that will come in handy if you believe that's why he fired you. The burden falls on the employee . We had a guy who over 15 yrs kept a journal of everything he seen going on in the offices, when they fired him he took his little black book to his lawyer, he had 15 yrs of his boss taking the secretary "out to dinner", sexual harassment and racist comments from the upper management. Lets just say, they worked out a deal without going to court. Keep times and dates, and any one who may have seen or heard it .

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Im pretty fortunate to have a boss who is a card carrying NRA member & openly brags about most of his employees carry to work. (we leave them in our vehicles
    due to dirty ,sweaty conditions)
    He confessed this during a Construction business owners meeting on a safe working enviroment when the matter was brought up about guns in the workplace & when asked if he would worry about one of his employees going on a rampage He simply replied that he treats his employees very well & that is the least of his problems , finding us more work to maintain our way of living is top priority .Also proclaimed that he feels our worksites are probably the safest to work (wink wink)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Don't forget you can fire the company you work for anytime you want, for any reason you want, with no warning too. There is some validity to the argument some make that Indiana's "parking lot law" is the placing of some peoples' rights (the parkers) over other peoples' rights (the business owners).

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    First off, at will employment is not an Indiana thing, it's an America thing.

You know that businesses are owned and operated by people right?

I don't know what there is to hate about giving business owners the same right to terminate employment as their employees have to leave a job. They are the ones paying you, so shouldn't they have a say in whether you remain employed by them or not?

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    From my reading and understanding of the below information, it reads to me that persons who may legally possess a firearm while at work irregardless as to whether or not the employer allows the carrying of said weapons on the premises vs being locked in a car.
    Is this correct?

It is not. You have to read the entire chapter. See section 9.

IC 34-28-8-9
    Regulation or prohibition of firearm possession or carrying a firearm by employee; when authorized
    Sec. 9. Notwithstanding section 6 of this chapter, this chapter does not prohibit a public or private employer from:
    (1) regulating or prohibiting the possession or carrying of a firearm by an employee during and in the course of the duties of the employee on behalf of the employer or while on the property of the employer; or
    (2) enforcing a regulation or prohibition adopted under subdivision (1).
    However, a regulation or prohibition adopted under subdivision (1) may not apply to a firearm stored or transported in accordance with IC 34-28-7.

Unless you fall under 34-28-7 (it stays locked in the car), then sec 6 does not apply if you are on their property or on the clock doing things as an employee off property (delivery person, etc.)

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I've been a union rep for 30 yrs for the USW.It's harder for companies to fire people if your union, sometimes good, sometimes bad. But if your not union they can give any reason to fire you. My advice would be to keep a journal of things said and done in the work place, if a manager has repeatedly said over time how he dislikes your right to keep your firearm in your car, that will come in handy if you believe that's why he fired you. The burden falls on the employee . We had a guy who over 15 yrs kept a journal of everything he seen going on in the offices, when they fired him he took his little black book to his lawyer, he had 15 yrs of his boss taking the secretary "out to dinner", sexual harassment and racist comments from the upper management. Lets just say, they worked out a deal without going to court. Keep times and dates, and any one who may have seen or heard it .

That actually sounds like a terrible place to work. If I felt the need to journal the indescretions of other employees/bosses - i think I'd look for another job.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    That actually sounds like a terrible place to work. If I felt the need to journal the indescretions of other employees/bosses - i think I'd look for another job.

From many union guys I've worked around and seen in factories, some are keeping journals like that to possibly keep their jobs (I know one that had told his non-union department manager he was keeping it to keep non-union in check) and others to use as revenge for when they get fired for not doing their jobs. I'm not 100% anti-union but it wouldn't be hard to be after working around some of the pieces of trash I have worked around. Also wouldn't be hard after seeing people sleeping on the job (not on break) when the union is fighting for higher pay and benefits.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    From many union guys I've worked around and seen in factories, some are keeping journals like that to possibly keep their jobs (I know one that had told his non-union department manager he was keeping it to keep non-union in check) and others to use as revenge for when they get fired for not doing their jobs. I'm not 100% anti-union but it wouldn't be hard to be after working around some of the pieces of trash I have worked around. Also wouldn't be hard after seeing people sleeping on the job (not on break) when the union is fighting for higher pay and benefits.
    You have great points, and after 30 yrs is why I'm stepping down soon. I've been telling the union leaders for years that we need to stop backing politicians who don't back us. The unions backed Clinton, he gave us NAFTA, unions backed Obama, he stops pipeline that would help make over tens of thousands if jobs so he can help his billionaire buddy make more money off the railroads. Union jobs are soon to be extinct. We need to run it more like the NRA does, you back us with legislation, we'll back you with votes and money. Believe me , I have had my fill of defending drug addicts and thieves , while making deals that screw the honest union guys. Our union presidents sit at White House dinners while the working man watches our jobs and dues go to Mexico to unionize the same people who took our jobs in the first place. It's sad of watch our union leaders sell us out, hopefully my union brothers will wake up soon !!

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I like having a paycheck to much to carry at work. It's against the rules, so I keep it locked up in the car.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Do not confuse "open for business" access to the public with public property. They are not the same thing. The minute you step foot on someone else's property, you become subject to HIS rules, HIS regulation, HIS expectations. Your rights do not exist beyond the ground you own inasmuch as anyone but the government has full* legal authority to deny your exercise of those rights on his property.

*Notwithstanding the federal/state intrusion on free enterprise by requiring the individual to comply with arbitrary and capricious limitations on who one must do business with.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    .. you become subject to HIS rules, HIS regulation, HIS expectations. Your rights do not exist beyond the ground you own inasmuch as anyone but the government has full* legal authority to deny your exercise of those rights on his property.

But shouldn't that only be true for companies that are wholly owned directly by an individual? You know, name on the deed and all that?

When a company incorporates don't all the "HIS"s who own the property "sell/give" the property to a non-human made-up "legal entity" in order to remove their human liabilities to the extent allowed by law? How can the HISs who claim they don't own it when it suits them claim they do own it when it suits them? Shouldn't they have to pick one? Don't mere mortals?

Isn't this a case of a natural, or "God given" right being granted to a piece of paper?

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Lots of 'No Carry' places here. I was at a golf cart dealership recently and noticed two different employees OC'ing on the lot. Nice to see.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Don't forget you can fire the company you work for anytime you want, for any reason you want, with no warning too. There is some validity to the argument some make that Indiana's "parking lot law" is the placing of some peoples' rights (the parkers) over other peoples' rights (the business owners).
    What I have a problem with, is some entities, eg. universities gaining exemption to the law merely because of the political and economic power they wield. The reasons for the law don't go away when you park in a university lot to work.

Top Bottom