• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Tried to limit pistols to .380 and .45 auto, shotguns to 12 ga. and the AR-15 digests 5.56. That's 4 (hopefully) easy-to-support ammo habits. Then there's the Mossberg 190 that belonged to Dad. Then I recently acquired a Remington 700 SPS Tactical chambered in 300 BLK because the ghille stock is green like my motorcycles. Started my stamp collection with a suppressor for the 700 and debating whether to build what I need to have 300 BLK on the AR-15 OR get a 5.56 stamp for it as-is OR both. Did I mention I'm done buying motorcycle parts?
    :dunno:

Bottom line: Owning multiple calibers is like having a big family. Sometimes it's hard to feed 'em all at once.

Last edited:

Yukon1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    If it is quality and in the budget at the time I buy it. I like 45s but it may change in the future depending on the ammo shortage and future prices..

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    I'm more of an accumulator than a collector. I often come across something I didn't know exist and suddenly it is the coolest thing in the world and I have to have it. a1

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have limited my collection to,

Colt
    Smith & Wesson
    Taurus
    Ruger
    Rossi
    Mossberg
    Delaware Machinery
    DPMS
    Mosin Nagant
    Arisaka
    Winchester
    Howa
    Saiga
    Weatherby
    Thompson Center Arms
    Savage
    Ortgies
    Magnum Research
    Browning
    Compeer
    Tanfaglio
    Harrington Richardson
    Stoeger
    Kel-Tec
    Enfield
    Marlin
    Puma
    Chiappa
    Bersa
    Phoenix Arms
    Norinco
    New England Firearms

I try not to discriminate.

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    You can only shoot one at a time so why have a collection. Pick one and shoot the death out of it reload and do it again. When they start getting worn or you are tired of it then sell it off. I see so many blokes at the range with different guns every time and they cant hit anything. Then they stand around and bench race about who has the latest gadgets and do dads. It hurts me to see so much money going downrange into the dirt. I put rounds on target and have been shooting the same guns the majority of my life and am now reloading for them also. Great fun! Pick a gun and spend money on ammo and actually get scarry good with it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You can only shoot one at a time so why have a collection. Pick one and shoot the death out of it reload and do it again. When they start getting worn or you are tired of it then sell it off. I see so many blokes at the range with different guns every time and they cant hit anything. Then they stand around and bench race about who has the latest gadgets and do dads. It hurts me to see so much money going downrange into the dirt. I put rounds on target and have been shooting the same guns the majority of my life and am now reloading for them also. Great fun! Pick a gun and spend money on ammo and actually get scarry good with it.[/QUOTE

I can only wear one pair of shoes at a time too, but I have several different pairs. Some I like to get muddy, while some are more for show.

I also only wear one pair of underwear at a time, but I own more than one pair.

BTW- I can get "scarry good" hits on targets with ALL of my guns. ;)

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    This is going to sound sad... but a lot of my inspiration for purchases comes from movies and games. If there is a gun I like using in a game, I am going to do everything I reasonably can to get one in real life. There is no doubt that's how I got into WWII guns and it has carried over into modern stuff. It is also the reason that I tend to be more satisfied if I go for straight clones of military weapons and configs or close to it.

I have tried to stay with 9mm and .22 as far as handguns go. However, I have begun to wonder if it might be a better idea to diversify more. Lately, with ammo shortages I have wondered if it wouldn't be better to have enough variety in my collection to use just about any ammo I can find. Just something I have been thinking about.

Oh, and I tend to prefer European handguns (except for 1911s, which I do love).

jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I try to fill specific "needs" that I have to fill gaps with what I already have. Granted, I am just getting started for the most part, so there are a lot of gaps. My wish list is extremely long. Unfortunately, longer then what my budget will allow me to handle. Having restraint is very difficult. I like a lot of what I see.

gemihur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    'collecting' or feeding an addiction

With today's society displaying anti-gun attitudes toward firearms in general I probably should broaden the criteria needed to acquire firearms. In the past, I have concentrated on the T/C contender line of barrels and accessories.
    Over the years I have probably owned around 200 or so barrels but have parleyed it down to a more premium line of specialized wildcats. Today I own only 23, but they are for the most part, highly sought after calibers. Knowing the pressure limitations of the break action frame has been a challenge to many of the desired cartridges of yesteryear but technology is always changing the playing field. Modern carteidges such as the 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, and the 300 BLK are now offering the performance in ranges of pressure that once were not available. Thanks AAC!
    There are always guys like Gary Reeder over in Flagstaff who will build you whatever you want but it's up to the end user to know his limitations and load appropriately.
    I am hear to tell ya' that a 257 GNR comin' out of 14" barrel is an impressive thing, even if it isn't loaded to what an Encore can handle! Thanks for the read ...payin' my dues.

:cool:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    There are a few calibers that I started out with, mainly because it would be unlikely that I would find an affordable and practical pistol in .45 acp the same size as my LCP. As I was able to, I expanded my collection in size and caliber footprint, and find that there are certain ones that I prefer for different roles. My current top of the want list is a .32 caliber revolver, or maybe a 1911 in .38 super (I already have reloading dies for the 38). The best part about having options in the safe is that even now, with ammo being rather scarce, I can still find something to fit at least one of my guns just about anywhere that still has ammo on the shelf.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Mine started with hunting in mind over 30 years ago. From there it branched in different directions. Personal protection and plinking also found a place. All had a purpose, or at least thats what I told my wife. Each one would do something that another one would not. Everything from .22 to 30-06 and .410 gauge to 12 gauge to 44 mag. At least 7 Rugers. 3 Taurus revolvers and 1 pistol, Marlin, Rossi (Braz tech), Remington, H&R, Stevens, Mauser, TC, HP clone,Traditions and some others. 14 handgus and 16 long guns. Every time I think I have enough, I find something else I want. INGO does not help a person stop collecting.:n00b:

hfdcowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Mine has changed a few times everything from what i could afford, to everything i seen. Now i try to fill what i consider is a need and try to stay with like calibers as much as possible.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I don't collect fire arms. I buy guns for a given task. I have bought a gun and found a better one for a given task. I am having a rifle built that will work for hunting deer in Indiana. It will replace my rifled barreled 870 for hunting deer. My Glock 36 replaced my Glock 30 for carry. The Glock 30 replaced my 1911 for carry. As far as calibers go I want the biggest one I can use accurately and comfortably.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    My interest varies. I have .25 semi-autos: 22LR semi-autos and wheel guns and rifles: 38sp: 9mm: 45LC: 410 shotshell: 12 Ga. If I have the money I buy what I like. Rugers, S&W, Herritage, Mossberg, Bond Arms, Remington, Henry, Marlin, NAA, Taurus. I love them all. :)

terrythegamer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Winchester,IN
    I'd like to own at least one of everything currently I have 3 9mm, 2 22s, 2 sks, a 12 gauge, and a .45 I've also purchased 2 bows and a crossbow they way I don't have to use my ammo during the shortage

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    I'd like to know when the assortment becomes a collection , my wife thinks I have a collection and if you consider 2 - 3rd gen smiths a collection - so be it, the other 4-5 calibers are not 3rd gen smiths they're just part of my assortment, just wondering :)

Top Bottom