• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I hate it when people make me feel uncomfortable around guns because they look at their guns like a golden egg instead of a tool. In that case don't shoot them. Seriously fingerprints? Make people wear gloves then. For god sakes. This is why I don't hang out with most people.
    i don't shoot with people that make me nervous. It's like people who have to look up in their brain to remember how to march and then **** up. I don't wanna get shot by accident.
    Also in the military it's not always the same as civilian classes. Some things are more strict others less. In real life (combat), you will sweep people. It happens. You train against sweeping your own team but in crowds or buildings their is always gonna be the case where it does. People above you, people below you, people behind walls ect.
    Training on a stagnant range and practicing proper safety is great, but if you ever have to fight with your gun then it might cause you to hesitate and die.
    My guns are tools. If you want to shoot them go for it. If you accidently drop one it's not gonna hurt it because I don't own crap guns.
    New People to guns or with little time around them are already nervous. They are constantly remembering the safety rules and they are remembering the operating rules that are basic and then sometimes they have someone's extreme rules to remember on top of that. Why even shoot if it's not fun?

This is why I love shooting with you.:rofl:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Anymore I keep quiet about my firearms and shooting hobby. I pretty much do everything alone. Its just better that way. I am safe and so is my equipment.

I even go as far as loading the truck inside of a closed garage away from nosy neighbors. Sucks but it is what you have to do to protect yourself.

Gun shops are not the place to buy anything. All the guns get coon fingered and prices are out of this world along with unsafe gun play.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Anymore I keep quiet about my firearms and shooting hobby. I pretty much do everything alone. Its just better that way. I am safe and so is my equipment.

I even go as far as loading the truck inside of a closed garage away from nosy neighbors. Sucks but it is what you have to do to protect yourself.
    This is true.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    As evidenced by this thread, I think we all have different versions of "gun etiquette". We have a lot of members here, of very different skill levels. Some were trained on firearms by family members, some were trained by the military, or law enforcement. Several were trained by all three. Some are getting their training right here on this forum.

I was trained that guns are tools. Luckily, at this point in my life, they are a hobby, and I don't need them to earn my living. I still treat them as if I do need them. When I take them out, I don't baby them, at all. Bolts slam home, and empty mags hit the dirt, whether it's a $10 Pmag, or a $100 HK mag. Practice is training. Tools are always repaired, cleaned, and lubed, before being put away. It's how I was trained.

Our "tools" are mostly, toys of our hobby. We currently have that luxury, and hopefully always will. But if you baby them now, easing bolts, or slides home, catching empty mags so they don't get dirty, you will do the same thing in a fight. Just my :twocents:

Sjachsvitra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Crothersville

Gun shops are not the place to buy anything. All the guns get coon fingered and prices are out of this world along with unsafe gun play.

I am always looking for a new place to buy guns. Where would you recommend buying from, if not a gun store, or really over priced manufacturer?

GGF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm an old guy and have mostly revolvers.
    The Number One thing I hate to see is when a arse hole does the "Dragnet Flip" when closing the cylinder on a wheel gun.
    I saw a nice Mod 18 S&W at the Louisville show that I'm pretty sure was damaged in the past by a hard flip shut. It's a shame, and someone bought a gun with a bent crane (aka Yoke).

Like some other posters have said, be careful who you show your guns to.

GGF

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I ask people not thoughtlessly sweep me with the muzzle. If I am in a combat zone or training for such and being muzzle swept is the least risky thing going on at that moment and is required to take care of a larger threat then I will grant some leeway.

I am particular about a few things I own. My EDC knife which I have carried since I was 18, which does get used and abused but only by me, does not get handed to someone else, period. My chainsaws, whose chains are kept razor sharp and evenly sharpened, ditto.

But almost everything else I own is either cheap enough that if someone damages it, no big deal, or quality enough that it won't be damaged, and I don't own things that get put in a display case. What I hate is when someone hands me something that they want babied but doesn't warn me they want it babied. And if they do want it babied then I'd rather they didn't hand it to me in case I violate some rule of theirs I didn't know about. I do ease the slide down and not dry fire other people's guns without asking because I know some people's guns are delicate snowflakes that might be damaged (or they think might be damaged), but that's only because I know some people are sensitive about it, but again, I'd rather they didn't hand me their gun.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Gun [STRIKE]enthusiasts[/STRIKE] owners should let their preferences be known, with respect to safety and handling, before [STRIKE]new[/STRIKE] other shooters touch their firearms.

Safety: Some people have "big boy" rules, others have 3-4 rules, and some people subscribe to a [STRIKE]bizarre[/STRIKE] combination. My younger brother is an attorney, a smart man by most measures. When I first took him, his wife, and two sons to shoot at an outdoor range for the first time we utilized his boys to paste targets. Yep... he started handling firearms when they were down range. When informed that this was a Bad Idea I got the "but it's not loaded..." This was my fault as I did not explain it in advance and just assumed he knew.

Handling: The same goes for handling, only the potential consequences are much less dire. It's our responsibility to pass our knowledge of safety and etiquette to other shooters. The rub is that there are different ideas of what that constitutes, and that is the point that the shooter (new or old) needs to respect the the wishes of other shooters' property. But the guns' owner needs to make his preference known in advance...

This is very appropriate, and perfectly describes some gun owners:

[video=youtube;P-NgeXl-PPA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-NgeXl-PPA[/video]

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom