• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Annies post and the responses got me thinking.

We have all seen some really bad gun handling at gun shows.
    People are everywhere and there is no safe direction.
    Here is what I do at gun shows to try to be as safe as possible when looking at a gun.

When it's laying on the table it is always pointing at someone, so I try to point it at the ground between me and the table as soon as possible.
    If the cable tie is not through the barrel, I will next check the chamber (cylinder).
    And I ALWAYS ask before I check the trigger.

How do the rest of you handle firearms at a crowded gun show?

squisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    First: Always, Always, Always, finger OFF the trigger.
    After that:
    Straight up or straight down.

Straight down first for "clear" check, then up if I am interested in the sight picture.

I guess technically going from down to up I'll sweep someone, so maybe not the best, but not sure what else you can do?

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    I tend to grab gun, without going up with it, check chamber cylinder what ever with it pointed down, with bolt or what ever open go to ceiling and so on.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Once many years ago I was attending a meeting of the Ohio Gun Collectors Association. Every half-hour or so all day there was an announcement that another gun had been found loaded on a table. The number of guns being found loaded was far too great to be a coincidence. Some anti-gun nutcase or possibly an ATF agent (I wouldn't put it past them...anyone who would drop machine gun parts into a parts vendor's wares would certainly be willing to load guns on a table) had infiltrated the show and was DELIBERATELY loading guns in the hopes of causing an accidental discharge.

Remember that rule that you learned at your dad's knee...every gun is loaded until you have PERSONALLY verified that it isn't! The fact that a gun is on a table at a gunshow doesn't negate this rule.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The Four Rules light is always on. Yes, even at a gun show.

If you simply must finger it: handguns go down, long guns go up.

No reason to go to Ohio, had plenty of NDs at the Indy 1500. I just wish the promoters would set up a clearing sand barrel for unloading and loading.

dleeharrison

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    First and foremost - I always ask permission to pick up the weapon for inspection. Then I point the weapon at the ground and clear the weapon, which may include removing the magazine, moving the slide back to its open position or opening the cylinder, inspecting the chamber and inspecting the bore. After inspection, I then either insert the magazine or close the cyclinder and let the hammer down. I never dry fire the piece. I then return it to the seller and say thanks. There is a right way and the wrong way to pick up and the Army way to inspect a weapon. I always follow the army way which is the right way for those in the Army. The Army was extermely diligent on weapons handling and safety.

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    Where to start.... First, I don't ask to handle the firearm and I grab it as quickly as I can (so someone doesn't steal the deal). Next, I point it at someone about 25 yards away (longest shot I find pretty realistic with a handgun). Third, never check the chamber (as to not scratch the slide). Then I pull the trigger a few times (to ensure quality and trigger pull). Long process, throw it on the ground (again, to ensure quality) and kick it back to the table I picked it up from (to check for movie like sliding ability). Lastly, go to the next table and start back at 1.

Really though, use common sense. (disclaimer: all writing in the above paragraph should not be re-enacted or taken as advice as injury or death may occur, get you shot or land you in jail(possibly all of the above)

hunter_47443

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Greene Co.
    Where to start.... First, I don't ask to handle the firearm and I grab it as quickly as I can (so someone doesn't steal the deal). Next, I point it at someone about 25 yards away (longest shot I find pretty realistic with a handgun). Third, never check the chamber (as to not scratch the slide). Then I pull the trigger a few times (to ensure quality and trigger pull). Long process, throw it on the ground (again, to ensure quality) and kick it back to the table I picked it up from (to check for movie like sliding ability). Lastly, go to the next table and start back at 1.
    ^^^^^^^
    Shouldn't that be in purple? I fixed it for you.:thumbsup:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

lol funny stuff. With some of the handling I've seen at auctions and gun shows, I think some people use this as their preferred method.

yotebutcher90

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    West Lafayette
    when i go, i always ask first but pretty much all guns at the 1500 have the zip tie through the chamber, but then i point it down to check for a load, then point towards the opposite end of the building to see how it feels

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Some anti-gun nutcase or possibly an ATF agent (I wouldn't put it past them...anyone who would drop machine gun parts into a parts vendor's wares would certainly be willing to load guns on a table) had infiltrated the show and was DELIBERATELY loading guns in the hopes of causing an accidental discharge.
    Man that is sickening! Those kind of control freaks stop at nothing to proove a point and get their way.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Man that is sickening! Those kind of control freaks stop at nothing to proove a point and get their way.

Yeah, I'm sure that those ATF agents plot and scheme between gun shows on how to load guns at gun shows without being detected. I'm sure that they are wearing their body armor in hope that they won't be the one shot during the accidental discharge. I for one will be wearing my tin foil hat to the next gun show I attend.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    Yeah, I'm sure that those ATF agents plot and scheme between gun shows on how to load guns at gun shows without being detected. I'm sure that they are wearing their body armor in hope that they won't be the one shot during the accidental discharge. I for one will be wearing my tin foil hat to the next gun show I attend.
    This explains the guys in the parking lot loading their shirt pockets murmering 45's left-44's right, "are you sure ANDY?''.

Top Bottom