• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • O2guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    MSG2
    This weekend I am sitting in Central Florida for graduation ceremonies for my son. :rockwoot:

I thought I would share the loops I had to go through so I could carry my weapon while in Florida. First locked case inside baggage that has to be checked (30 dollars round trip). Inform the ticket agent that there is handgun in my baggage, she asked if I would open the baggage and case to ensure weapon was unloaded. Boy the looks you get from other travelers,funny.

After going through TSA checkpoint I had to see the supervisor who calls another government employee to make sure they did not need to see me. Not sure why the second possibility of gun check but oh well.. :dunno:

Seems like quite a bit of scrutiny but worth the peace of mind once I'm in Florida to carry and take son and daughter to local range for some quality shootong time

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    You think that's bad......try checking 20-30 military weapons at the Indy Airport. Most of the time not a problem, but every now and then we had people that wanted to be jack asses and have us open every case.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    What airline did you fly? I have checked guns several time now and each airline will handle it differently. In fact, sometimes the same airline in a different airport will even handle it differently. When I left Tucson, AZ, I didn't even need to open the case.......Chicago on the other hand.......well, you know;)

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    You can't put ammunition is a separate locked container, can you? I drove to Florida last spring with one of my handguns, loaded of course. Once I was down there I didn't see any gun shops or places that sell ammunition.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    You can't put ammunition is a separate locked container, can you? I drove to Florida last spring with one of my handguns, loaded of course. Once I was down there I didn't see any gun shops or places that sell ammunition.

No walmarts?:dunno:

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    No walmarts?:dunno:

I was near Sarasota. The one Walmart I did see didn't sell firearms or ammunition, which I thought was weird. I'm sure I could have stopped at a million different places on the way down, but if I ever fly down, it would be kind of pointless to conceal an empty gun. I'm sure if I looked far enough there would be a gun shop within 50 miles or so.

Its a sign of the times

My grandpa went into our local hardware store last summer and asked if they had any .22LR in. They young lady just gave him a dirty look and said "no, we don't sell that." It's hard to find ammunition locally these days.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Are you asking if you can take ammo at all?
    One airline I checked said one box of factory ammo allowed. Another airline said up to 11 lbs of factory ammo allowed. In both cases ammo had to have it's own spot in the packaging. No packaging where the ammo is loose all together. (Something about the danger of primers getting struck.)

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Southwest has no bag fees for first two bags. I took mine to PHX no problem show ticket agent and go on to plane. Then on way home show ticket agent then had bellhop type walk my bag over to tsa. bag is scanned get on plane fly home. No problems and easy. Now I do not like that if my bag is taken I lose my gun but oh well take cheaper gun on flights. To protect from being stolen even if by accident I would prefer to have to show ID to someone to get my bag.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Are you asking if you can take ammo at all?
    One airline I checked said one box of factory ammo allowed. Another airline said up to 11 lbs of factory ammo allowed. In both cases ammo had to have it's own spot in the packaging. No packaging where the ammo is loose all together. (Something about the danger of primers getting struck.)

Wow, yeah I was asking if you could take both ammunition and a handgun on an airplane. For some reason I thought you couldn't fly with ammunition, maybe I just assumed that because UPS only allows ammunition to be shipped ground.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL

That's odd. I go to Florida a lot and there's always guns and ammo everywhere when I go. Big ol' Cabela's in Orlando for example. :dunno:

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Yeah, but I also don't think I've seen anyone under 70 in Sarasota either ;). I guess the elderly don't do a lot of target practice? :dunno:

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Interesting thread. I have never taken any guns with me when I have flown. But after my last experience I try to avoid flying all together.

We were stuck on the runway for 2 hours before take off. Packed in like sardines and some old guy dropping fart bombs on me. Then the air conditioning stops. Great time sweating and feeling clostraphobic.

Man, I hate flying!! Remember BA Baracus on the A team? Thats the only way your getting me on a plane anymore!

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Southwest has no bag fees for first two bags. I took mine to PHX no problem show ticket agent and go on to plane. Then on way home show ticket agent then had bellhop type walk my bag over to tsa. bag is scanned get on plane fly home. No problems and easy. Now I do not like that if my bag is taken I lose my gun but oh well take cheaper gun on flights. To protect from being stolen even if by accident I would prefer to have to show ID to someone to get my bag.
    Exactly. I'm flying out west this fall and I plan on taking SW because of the no extra charge thing. The other flights look cheaper until you realize that they're same or more depending on taking one or two bags.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    Gun Safe for Air Travel

I recently purchased this travel vault in preparation for a trip to Florida. Good buy, and gives me a place to lock up a pistol if I need to leave it in a vehicle for a brief period of time. In Car Gun Safe

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Interesting thread. I have never taken any guns with me when I have flown. But after my last experience I try to avoid flying all together.

We were stuck on the runway for 2 hours before take off. Packed in like sardines and some old guy dropping fart bombs on me. Then the air conditioning stops. Great time sweating and feeling clostraphobic.

Man, I hate flying!! Remember BA Baracus on the A team? Thats the only way your getting me on a plane anymore!

"I aint gettin' on no plane Hannibal."...............:laugh:

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I am flying out this Thursday to Utah. I am taking my .223 rifle and my XD 45 c in a Pelican case. I hope not to get hassled. The ammo is already in Utah, so that won't be an issue.

O2guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    MSG2
    Flew Airtran both ways, Coming home out of Orlando completely different scenario, Informed gentlemen at ticketing counter of my firearm he gave me a tag said put this in and take bags to TSA just about 25 yards away He didn't check for it to be unloaded or anything guess he figured TSA was going to do that with X-ray..

Find it strange that there is not a SOP for handling this issue with all airlines and airports..

Top Bottom