• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Maybe it takes a personal catastrophe to get a gun owner to sell a gun? I imagine more folks sell what they love when they need the money more than the gun. Or, it could just be that God looks down while carrying a bucket of minor troubles to be dealt with and figures that gun owners are probably more likely to be able to handle the problems than non-gun owners that will go so far as to delegate the responsibility of their families safety to a stranger. I do seem to have more than my share of coolant leaks, bad alternators, flooded engines, bad ball joints and slipping transmissions.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yup. I just put a grand into my wife's minivan and I gotta put about $2500 into my truck next weekend. But luckily I have the funds to cover it on top of getting my HiPower worked on, and going to the 1500 in a couple weeks.

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I had a trade scheduled with a guy to meet in Indy. He called me that morning and said his son was sick and could meet. I wanted the item and thought it would be a nice jester on my part to help the guy out. I told him that I would drive all the way to Bloomington to meet him. I then realized that he was back peddling as he didn't know the quality of my item. I explained to him what it was and when we met he was happy with the item.

He later responded to another item I had for sale and I bypassed him.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Yup. I just put a grand into my wife's minivan and I gotta put about $2500 into my truck next weekend. But luckily I have the funds to cover it on top of gettkng my HiPower worked on, and going to the 1500 in a couple weeks.

I am there with you jbombelli I have an O Crap fund that never gets touched no matter what. My Gun fund is my gun fund and so on and so forth.

I have worked hard my whole life and I never asked my parents for help in over 33 years. I felt that they had enough bills of their own.

I quit dating a girl that was 40 when I asked her what her plan was for emergencies. She said her mom and dad. The entitlement generation never ceases to amaze me.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I had a deal with someone to sell him my CZ 75 stainless. He messaged me the morning we were supposed to meet, that he had gotten in an accident and had to pay a deductible, and couldn't go through with purchase. Anyway, the CZ eventually went back in the safe. Couple months later the man pm'd me, to see if I still had it and if it was still for sale. Yep and yep, and deal closed, at original price. Everybody happy.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I had a deal with someone to sell him my CZ 75 stainless. He messaged me the morning we were supposed to meet, that he had gotten in an accident and had to pay a deductible, and couldn't go through with purchase. Anyway, the CZ eventually went back in the safe. Couple months later the man pm'd me, to see if I still had it and if it was still for sale. Yep and yep, and deal closed, at original price. Everybody happy.

At least he did eventually follow through, but this is not the norm. Usually they back out and you never hear from them again.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Only done a few transactions and never an issue.

If I got a message like that I'd say, 'I'm sorry to hear that. I'll just let it go to the next person in line.'

If they're just trying to get the price down that usually does the trick and, more often than not, there really are a couple of other people wanting it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It simply amazes me the number of stories I have seen where a meet was set and one person simply doesn't show up. That would royally **** me off.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    It simply amazes me the number of stories I have seen where a meet was set and one person simply doesn't show up. That would royally **** me off.
    It'd only bother me if I went out of my way to do it [like driving an hour to meet somebody].

I drove down to Columbus from Indianapolis to buy a motorcycle for $4500... I got there and the guy, apparently, between me leaving and getting there researched it and realized he could get upwards of $6k... That's fine - but he should have figured that out before accepting my offer.

Anyhow it's the middle of December and he's asking the summer price for the bike once I get there. I wished him luck with selling it and moved on to the next. Checked a year later and he still had it for sale and had worked down from $6k down to about $4,500 again. The bike was worth the money but the guy was a terrible negotiator/seller.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I've been on both sides of the coin. I try my hardest make a deal work. Had to sell some stuff awhile back to fix things on a truck (that I eventually just scrapped instead). Had some people pissed off because I wouldn't travel 50+ miles to sell my items. Sorry, my ad clearly stated I had no transportation.

Can't count how many times someone has had an excuse as to why they can't meet. Also, it makes me mad when someone realizes I am obviously not 18 and they don't know the laws so they feel they should make some up to get out of buying/selling. When I buy/sell guns, I "buy/sell them for my dad". I'm the middle man. Catch my drift? He's always present, I just handle money and guns, he supervises. Many times people go straight to him and think he's Mosinguy and start dealing with him while I do all the actual gun stuff. Only a few more weeks until big 1-8 though. :D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Most of my trades have gone fine. I've had a few that have caused me to put up a disclaimer in my ads. I've driven two hours so that someone could take a look at my gun and then decide that "my wife said no, but I still wanted to see it" and call off the deal after meeting. I drove an hour because the buyer had never seen a P3AT before. Both of those were "show and tell" where (unbeknownst to me) the buyer had no intention of buying, instead treating me like a traveling show room. Apparently, "will you take $300" really means "will you take $300 after I've looked at it and decided if I'm maybe interested in buying a new gun and maybe if my wife lets me, but you won't know until after we meet". I've had buyers who "just couldn't get to the bank. Will you take $50 less than what we agreed on?" or who bring nothing but hundred dollar bills and expect me to give them a $50 discount because I don't have enough change on me.

I wouldn't say I have bad luck, but I've had some really crappy people try to screw me on deals.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I don't mind at all if someone suddenly calls of a deal, with notice prior to any meeting, whatever the reason. It is a bit annoying when a peep just stops replying to PMs once a dialog has been started.
    Now the stuff Scuttter describes in his post above, having to drive to meets folks who then admit they had 0 intention of buying the item
    would be maddening!

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I've always had decent interactions with INGO peeps.
    Even the one who's ad wasn't even up anymore, but I dogged him from August thru October... I think he sold me a Kimber just to shut me up. :lmfao:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've been on the receiving end of "bad luck" the day before I was to buy a gun.

Crap happens.

In my case, Mr. Illegal Alien made a left turn in front of me at an intersection and totaled my car.

In that instance, I needed that liquid cash to secure replacement transportation ASAP. Seller was understanding. He still had it sold very very quickly.

Other times that I've not "needed" to sell, but did: I sold a P99 when my wife's (Then fiance) roommate moved out due to our impending wedding. Roommate wasn't financially prepared to move before the lease was up so I paid for her new deposit. I THINK that I also may have given her the difference of her old rent vs. new rent for the few months she would have been on the "old lease". I then also needed to help fiance make HER rent - which was now 100% of the condo she was in. I sold the gun because it was "easy money", I rarely shot it, and it was in .40S&W - something that I was moving away from anyhow.

Another gun I've sold for "easy money": CZ75 B in satin nickel. We'd just bought our house when we realized that the master bathroom commode had been leaking and the floor / sub floor needed replaced. Sold the CZ to cover the cost. No big deal. I rarely shot the thing.

-J-

Top Bottom