• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bighop1

Plinker
    Rating - 98.8%
    79   1   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    My son and i went to get his conceal carry permit he just came of age . He asked dad why do we have to pay for this i thought we had the right to bear arms . I thought about it and i'm not sure. Driving is a privilege so i understand fees and a license but really if its our right why do we pay for it ???

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    No good reason. We shouldn't have to pay for it. Then again, we shouldn't have to get the "permission" at all; our Constitution guarantees the right to begin with.

P.S. When that pretty pink piece of paper shows up, read it very carefully. It does not specify that you must carry concealed. It is your License To Carry a Handgun (LTCH), period. You may choose to carry in whichever manner you prefer.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Constitutional carry needs to be the law of the land. No license, no fees, 100% freedom.

Curious what state you're in. Indiana doesn't have a concealed carry permit. We have a License to Carry a Handgun. You can OC or CC.

bighop1

Plinker
    Rating - 98.8%
    79   1   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    wow i know the permit is for carry my point was not about that. it was WHY DO WE PAY FOR IT . i've had one for over twenty five years may be it was just too complicated a concept to civilly discuss for some

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    wow i know the permit is for carry my point was not about that. it was WHY DO WE PAY FOR IT . i've had one for over twenty five years may be it was just too complicated a concept to civilly discuss for some

Just be glad you didn't ask why we don't require applicants to have a minimum amount of training before being allowed to pay to exercise their 2A right...:D

I agree with buck...we don't make people pay to exercise other rights such as voting, praying, freedom of speech, etc.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Sorry bighop1; many, many people seem to believe the IN LTCH is a "concealed carry permit", so we try to correct that wrong assumption when we see people making it. No offense intended.

I, for one, thought the asking of why we pay for it was rhetorical, and chachi73 answered as well as it could be answered; because politicians have passed legislation codifying the method by which you may obtain permission from the State to exercise your 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms, and that codification includes paying fees to the State, presumably to cover the administrative costs of checking your suitability as a "proper person", pursuant to licensing your right to you.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I've got a good question! Why do people STILL call it a concealed carry permit and then get MAD at us when we politely try to educate them???

The fact is many people "feel" safer because we are finger printed and a routine (run of the mill) background check is done before we are ALLOWED to carry a handgun loaded off of our property. Politicians cater to this "feeling" and they get elected. They like the perks and money and power associated with being an elected official and they do whatever they can to remain elected.

Despite this fact that little pink piece or paper has NEVER prevented a crime, or kept a criminal from having a handgun if they wanted to carry one anyway. You can't regulate away the human condition. There isn't even anything effective at preventing it in regards to laws.

So I guess the real answer IMO is because our License to Carry makes the sheep feel like it makes them safer while out in the pasture of life.

bighop1

Plinker
    Rating - 98.8%
    79   1   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    OK thanks for your input Mr rock i do appreciate it i was delayed as i believe thread got moved but my intent was to make it a political discussion as i believe my subject was about fees and our rights not about the permit itself

bighop1

Plinker
    Rating - 98.8%
    79   1   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    i was not mad. i was trying to point out that my subject was not the type of permit or the pink paper or if it was laminated .it was our right and as other people suggested we should not have to pay for it . or we may well go back to the time when u had to have an acre of land to vote

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    i believe thread got moved but my intent was to make it a political discussion as i believe my subject was about fees and our rights not about the permit itself

General Political Discussion (where this thread was originally) is for non-firearms related political discussion. I moved it to Carry Issues because that is where LTCH issues are discussed. However, given your intent I've now moved it to 2nd Amendment in an effort to generate more discussion on our rights, and less about the LTCH itself.

:ingo:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    OK thanks for your input Mr rock i do appreciate it i was delayed as i believe thread got moved but my intent was to make it a political discussion as i believe my subject was about fees and our rights not about the permit itself

Dude......:rolleyes:
    It AIN'T a PERMIT.........

It's License To Carry Handgun......LTCH.....an' can carry as many as ya can strap on ya.........:cool:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

It's License To Carry Handgun......LTCH.....an' can carry as many as ya can strap on ya.........:cool:

Which really is immaterial. The fact is that it's a state-issued permission slip. License, permit, official okee dokee, whatever.

What he wants to discuss is the reason for paying for it.

Partly, I think it's a revenue thing, but it's also about reassuring and pacifying the sheep. On that, it's served us very well, because in having it, we can show incontrovertibly that despite all the violent crime out there, fewer than 1/4 of 1% of us have the license revoked for ALL causes... that is, it isn't even necessarily violent or firearm-related causes for which it is revoked or suspended, and that 0.2% of revoked LTCHs is over a four-year period (2002-2006, the last time I inquired of ISP how many were so disposed. This means that approximately 0.05%, or five in 10,000 are revoked every year, on average.)

Mind you, I still don't agree with the premise of a LTCH being required. I consider it an infringement on our rights and quite possibly falling into the category of "prior restraint". What I'm doing is saying that even if we're all having to take a bite of the big :poop: sandwich, at least the bread isn't half bad.

Blessings,
    Bill

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009

It's License To Carry Handgun...
    A distinction without a difference, since you are being permitted to/allowed to/"officially" authorized to do a certain thing, in this case bear your own handgun/sidearm while off your property.

li·cense
       [lahy-suhns] noun, verb, -censed, -cens·ing.

noun
    formal permission from a governmental or other constituted authority to do something, as to carry on some business or profession.

a certificate, tag, plate, etc., giving proof of such permission; official permit: a driver's license.

permission to do or not to do something.

intentional deviation from rule, convention, or fact, as for the sake of literary or artistic effect: poetic license.

exceptional freedom allowed in a special situation.

excessive or undue freedom or liberty.

licentiousness.

the legal right to use a patent owned by another.

verb (used with object)
    to grant authoritative permission or license to.

A better question is why does it exist in statute. Having to pay for it only adds insult to injury.

The fact is many people "feel" safer because we are finger printed and a routine (run of the mill) background check is done before we are ALLOWED to carry a handgun loaded off of our property. Politicians cater to this "feeling" and they get elected. They like the perks and money and power associated with being an elected official and they do whatever they can to remain elected.

Despite this fact that little pink piece or paper has NEVER prevented a crime, or kept a criminal from having a handgun if they wanted to carry one anyway. You can't regulate away the human condition. There isn't even anything effective at preventing it in regards to laws.

So I guess the real answer IMO is because our License to Carry makes the sheep feel like it makes them safer while out in the pasture of life.

Well put.

Congratulations, Bighop. Your son knows the difference between a right and a privilege.

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I got my Larry because Indiana made it illegal to carry a handgun without it.

It's a ridiculous law that violates the protection of the 2A and Indiana's own constitution Article 1 Sec. 32.

I cannot but loathe this vile pink permission slip by which we must purchase our "privileged" exception.

:xmad:

Did I mention that I don't like it?

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Driving (a modern form of transportation just like a horse before it) is a right a well. Unfortunately, just like the right to bear arms, people were willing to allow the gov't to turn it into a "priviledge".

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Considering the stink that was raised when indiana adopted the law of requiring a photo ID to vote as being discriminatory against the poor, I wonder if the state's licensing process has ever been challenged for the same reason. To be permitted to exercise our 2A requires a fairly significant outlay of money. Considering the neighborhoods in which many of our poorer citizens live, it would seem the law abiding folks are prevented from enjoying the same ability to defend themselves that us, more fortunate, folks do.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    My son and i went to get his conceal carry permit he just came of age . He asked dad why do we have to pay for this i thought we had the right to bear arms . I thought about it and i'm not sure. Driving is a privilege so i understand fees and a license but really if its our right why do we pay for it ???
    Why should you need a license to drive or carry a gun? They both started out as rights.

Top Bottom