• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    Not sure if Danville is still open or not. I could read that they only allow paper targets and no full-auto.

and this from another INGO forum about a year ago.
    The DCC has 4 covered shooting lanes w/ benches. Depending when you go out to shoot, you usually don't have trouble finding a spot. If you go out on a Saturday just before deer season opens, you might have to wait. I go on weekdays and have never had to wait. I have often had the whole place to myself. It also helps if you make your own target stands (I'd like to thank the losing local democrats for leaving their campaign signs at the sides of the roads. Ironic, huh?;)).

50 and 100 yard centerfire backstops. 17 and 25 yard pistol. And the whole range of backstops available for .22 stuff. Used to be able to use the pistol backstops for pistol caliber rifles, but some numbskulls (if they knew who it was, they'd be out on their @sses) had to start shootin' up the steel backstops with some AP ammo, and ruined it for everyone. So now all centerfire rifles must use the 50 and 100 yard rifle berms.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    Does anyone know anything about Danville? I went to Fall Creek this weekend and Elwood to check them out. Both had advantages and disadvantages.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    • 100+ yard rifle range (100 yards)
    • rifle capapble
    • pistol range (50ft and 25yd)
    • [STRIKE]ability to shoot steel targets or other non-paper targets.[/STRIKE]
    • shot gun capable (yes, but no trap/skeet)
      [*] archery field
      [*] fishing lake
    Does this even exist?

Danville Conservation Club
    Self-healing rubber swinger targets are OK on the pistol backstops.
    Otherwise no steel, except for .22LR rimfire silhouette with a steel backstop.
    Link in sig.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Definitely keeping an eye on this thread, I've been looking for a Central Indiana place to shoot my .270 Win., have been hoping to find someplace closer than Richmond (MIL lives there, so I'm usually in that neck of the woods every 2 months or so)...

Would love to hear pluses & minuses of some of these places from those who have been there, send PM if you don't want to muck up the thread with stuff that doesn't meet OP requirements.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    Well since i started the thread i will post my findings:
    Elwood
    Cheap $65 a year. No usage fee
    100 yd. rifle range
    50 yd range
    25 yd range
    7 yd pistol range.
    port a potty on site.
    No skeet/trap range.
    Friendly people, very relaxed.
    Can shoot steel swinging targets.

Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club
    100yd rifle
    50yd rifle
    25yd
    7yd handgun,
    archery range
    Skeet/trap range, This is only able to be used on their designated shooting hours for their matches. So essentially you can't go their to shoot unless its a match, no recreation.
    Somewhat elitist attitude from out dealings.
    Cost $50, plus you are to pay $1 every time you use the range.
    Range closed quite often. (anytime they have a match.)
    Any time trap/skeet is being shot no rifle/handgun etc. lower range is closed.

Of these 2 ranges. I went to check them both out this weekend.

Elwood is super relaxed no Range Officers. You can shoot non paper targets. Has a Keystone Light feel to it. (my style). If you want to shoot and not be hassled this is the place.
    FCVCC is more high brow type club. Not really what i am looking for. FCVCC seems to be very stringent in their rules. Best way to sum it up is rules, rules, rules. Only paper targets. yuck. More of a Merlot wine feel.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Riley Conservation Club near Terre Haute. www.rileycc.com

Contrary to popular belief, Terre Haute is not just outside of St. Louis. RileyCC is just a little over an hour from I-465 on I-70.

The rifle range is 240 yards from the covered benches to the far backstop. There are mutiple shooting bays.

Wildcat Valley www.wvrpc.org is near Brookston, so about an hour from I-465 via I-65. They have what is probably the best shooting facility overall in Indiana with a 300 yard rifle range, a 100+ range, multiple other bays, voice actived clay throwers, and dedicated NRA Action Pistol/Bianchi Cup event ranges.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Elwood
    100 yd. rifle range
    50 yd range
    25 yd range
    7 yd pistol range.
    port a potty on site.
    No skeet/trap range.

100yd rifle
    50yd rifle
    25yd
    7yd handgun,
    archery range
    Skeet/trap range, This is only able to be used on their designated shooting hours for their matches. So essentially you can't go their to shoot unless its a match, no recreation.

Elwood is super relaxed no Range Officers. You can shoot non paper targets. Has a Keystone Light feel to it. (my style). If you want to shoot and not be hassled this is the place.
    FCVCC is more high brow type club. Not really what i am looking for. FCVCC seems to be very stringent in their rules. Best way to sum it up is rules, rules, rules. Only paper targets. yuck. More of a Merlot wine feel.
    AMEN TO ELWOOD... I'm a newbie there, and totally satisfied. Great facility!

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    ...Elwood is super relaxed no Range Officers. You can shoot non paper targets. Has a Keystone Light feel to it. (my style). If you want to shoot and not be hassled this is the place...

We do have volunteer range officers at Elwood CC and, as Secretary, I am around 3-4 days a week (not all day) so you can get your "Range Nazi" fix. :D The club President also drops in on a regular basis.
    We do try to maintain a relaxed atmosphere but we also insist on rules compliance. The rules are posted on all ranges and at the sign-in desk. We allow cans, plastic bottles and most standard targets but don't bring your old computers, concrete and household junk as we find that to be very disturbing and it will win you a free set of directions to the Madison-Tipton County Line Road. Other than that...
    :welcome:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Not as of yet, but the topic has come up among the board; we're starting to feel the numbers.
    Huh, well that's what I had heard and been one of the things keeping me from checking it out. Can you share a copy of range rules? I'm an RSO, certified instructor, etc..but I do some training drills that aren't typically allowed on public ranges and am forced to go to private family property further out, but Danville would be closer.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Huh, well that's what I had heard and been one of the things keeping me from checking it out. Can you share a copy of range rules? I'm an RSO, certified instructor, etc..but I do some training drills that aren't typically allowed on public ranges and am forced to go to private family property further out, but Danville would be closer.

It's all on the website. We also have a "no rapid fire" rule which disallows most pistol drills.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Shooting range

Guys.

I am looking for a gun range to join in central Indiana. I am living in Indianapolis and am fine with driving an hour+.

Here is what i am looking for.

• 100+ yard rifle range
    • rifle capapble
    • pistol range
    • ability to shoot steel targets or other non-paper targets.
    • shot gun capable
    Does this even exist?

Thanks-

Deer Creek CC (probably too far from Indy, But we do have some who drive from Indy.) North on 69 to the 55. Directions are posted on the web page. Deer Creek Conservation Club
    We have:
    10 pistol bays 35yds (1&2) to as close as you want to shoot Some are much shorter. All are surrounded by 15 ft berms (U shaped) All have shelter, benches. Tables and rifle racks for pistol caliber rifles.
    Riffle benches 50, 100, 200. I'm not a rifle shooter but I think there are 4 or 5 benches at each distance ????

We shoot paper. Plastic water bottles (plenty of disposal units for your trash. And steel ( mostly 8x10 plates on I Beam stands, The Cowboys have their own set of steel.) bring your own paint if you want to track your POI, Shotguns (Trap) and Archery. We are on the Mississinewa River so the fishing is not too bad.

We have "cowboy" competitions, CMP matches, Turkey shoots, and Trap.

There is also a full auto range and a "Subgun Club" within the club (thompson, Uzi, or whatever.
    Check out the web site.

The Rifle range is on the right side of the picture, followthe road around to the left to get a partial view of the pistol bays. The only pistol bay not visible is #3. This is not a Square range like Roush or even Fall Creek Valley or Elwood. $50 join fee, $65 per year.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    Elwood
    100 yd. rifle range
    50 yd range
    25 yd range
    7 yd pistol range.
    port a potty on site.
    No skeet/trap range.

100yd rifle
    50yd rifle
    25yd
    7yd handgun,
    archery range

I'm a member at FCVCC, and I love it.
    It's never busy when I'm there, and I've only seen an RSO there once. Usually, you're on your own.
    Yes, there are the usual rules, but they are there to keep everybody safe. Go read the rules on their webpage, and you'll see there is nothing oppressive in there. Sure, I'd love to be able to shoot steel targets, but it's not that big of a deal. Actually, last time I was there a guy was telling me that they had some falling steel targets that they were getting out on Saturday for a pistol match. Unfortunately I wasn't able to go to that, because it sounds fun.
    I'm also a member at an indoor range here in Indianapolis, and I can tell you that I do NOT feel safe there because there is usually some dummy there that has no idea you shouldn't point a loaded gun at the people standing beside you. I don't know why anyone would want to shoot at a place with no rules. That just doesn't make sense.

And personally, I would prefer a homebrewed beer. You can keep your Keystone Light. ;)

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm going to be trying Hillside soon. I've been using Bass & Bucks up in Wabash for a while. Its not bad and goes out to 740. Only $15 for the day. I tend to go during the week and it's nice and empty at that time. They have some steel targets. I also tend to bring my own.

Top Bottom