• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Earlier, I was talking to a guy I know who's fairly knowledgeable about guns and he said that if you ever get stopped by a police officer and they run your gun (and it wasn't registered to you) they could confiscate it until it was sorted out and proven that you are, indeed, the legal owner. Is this true? I'm wondering because I'm considering buying a used G27 to carry and since it's used, it wouldn't be registered in my name. If that is true, I think I'd rather just pony up the extra $$ and buy new to avoid ever getting my gun temporarily confiscated.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    There are theories on whether or not a 4473 form is a de facto registration. However, what you heard is false. Sometimes LEOs do run serial numbers to check for a stolen gun. There is no gun registration in Indiana. It is not illegal if I'm carrying my gun or my buddies gun as long as I am able to produce a valid LTCH if I'm stopped.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    They may check to see if it's been reported as stolen but here is no registry of ownership for anyone to check.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Tell the officer to read the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America.

Then tell the officer to read Article I Section 32 of the Constitution of the State of Indiana.

Then tell the officer to **** off.

The State and federal constitutions are there to put limits on the state.... let's start enforcing those limits.

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    That's to check you out, not to register a gun to yourself.

Really? Well now I feel like a dummy :n00b:

So if they do check on a gun, names don't come back, just info if it's been reported stolen?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Really? Well now I feel like a dummy :n00b:

So if they do check on a gun, names don't come back, just info if it's been reported stolen?

Yes really. :)

There is no name attached to a gun that you can find with the serial number.You can just know if it was reported stolen so dont worry.
    Even if you are not the owner of the gun (you are using a friend's gun) the police wouldnt be able to know.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Right to a Point..

Tell the officer to read the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America.

Then tell the officer to read Article I Section 32 of the Constitution of the State of Indiana.

Then tell the officer to **** off.

The State and federal constitutions are there to put limits on the state.... let's start enforcing those limits.

J, you are right to a point. YES we are free citizens with rights-BUT-When you come across with an Officer (Or any other person for that matter) with that kind of attitude, you are probably in for a bad day. :dunno: NO flame here--just my :twocents: worth..Bill.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    That's to check you out, not to register a gun to yourself.

It has been a while since I have had a 4473 called in.

Does not the FFL read the serial number the the person on the other end of the line?

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    That's good to hear, that's the only reason I've been hesitant to buy a used handgun that I might ever consider carrying. Thank you all, for your help. :)

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    J, you are right to a point. YES we are free citizens with rights-BUT-When you come across with an Officer (Or any other person for that matter) with that kind of attitude, you are probably in for a bad day. :dunno: NO flame here--just my :twocents: worth..Bill.

No doubt.... but when I come across an officer that has an attitude that leads him to believe he can run checks on my firearms it is likely to be met with an equally respective attitude.

I stopped going soft on my natural rights documented in the Second Amendment by being polite a long long time ago.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It has been a while since I have had a 4473 called in.

Does not the FFL read the serial number the the person on the other end of the line?

Not sure. Even if they do, it would be illegal for the gubberment to maintain that info in a registry.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Not sure. Even if they do, it would be illegal for the gubberment to maintain that info in a registry.

Out of curiosity, do you think that because it is illegal they wouldn't do exactly that?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

We can bet they dont do it then.I never heard of the govt doing anything illegal.

But even if they keep a registry of all serial numbers attached to a person's name that would be of little interest since you can buy and sale guns in private sales.
    So they wouldnt know who owns what.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    We can bet they dont do it then.I never heard of the govt doing anything illegal.

But even if they keep a registry of all serial numbers attached to a person's name that would be of little interest since you can buy and sale guns in private sales.
    So they wouldnt know who owns what.

Which is exactly how it should be.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Out of curiosity, do you think that because it is illegal they wouldn't do exactly that?

No, I don't fancy that my government will be restrained by mere laws.

However, to use the info would be similar to a drug dealer turning in a report that somebody stole their drugs. Probably not worth the admission.

It would also only show the last time an FFL performed a transfer of the firearm.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    No, I don't fancy that my government will be restrained by mere laws.

However, to use the info would be similar to a drug dealer turning in a report that somebody stole their drugs. Probably not worth the admission.

It would also only show the last time an FFL performed a transfer of the firearm.

Perhaps.

The whole gun runner / fast and furious operations by the BATF have been interesting, haven't they.

Top Bottom