• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    Yesterday I cleaned out my gun safe getting ready for the big move next week. The first thing I noticed was that I can't see anything in there without a flashlight. The second thing I noticed was that I "need" a better place to store my pistols to make more room on the shelves. So my first question is how do you get power into the safe? Do you drill a hole in the side or back and run an extention cord through the hole?
    My second question is what is the best way to get my pistols off the shelves? Thanks for all the advice. Also, does anyone want to help me move my safe.:D Ha ha ha.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    My safe came with a small hole in one corner of the back near the bottom with a grommet for a power cord for the dehumidifier. Only drill a hole big enough for the cord, not the plug. Run the cord through the hole and then attach a plug to it.
    I have seen safes with peg board and hooks for pistols on the inside of the door. I have also seen people build racks with dowel rods that sit on the shelves and allow pistols to slide muzzle first over the dowels.

illmaniac123

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    East Indianapolis
    Liberty makes a safe power grommet that will attach and still make it heat resistant. Liberty also sells a accessory panel that hangs off of the back of the door. They usually have spots for about 10 handguns

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My safe has a small hole in one corner as well. Could always look into the stick on lights.
    As far as space goes, there are a few options out there. Door hangers from holster that mount or stick to the lining of the door to full door coverings that have all sorts of holsters and pockets. I use pistol racks in mine. The ones I use come in 4 or 6 capacity and my 6 gun rack takes up about as much space on the shelf as 2 pistols. I am really happy with it and it has helped me out with shelf space.
    Or it could be time for another safe ;)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    also, you could utilize one of the existing holes in the floor of the safe for bolting it down to run a wire through one of them......this way it doesn't interfere with the "fireproofing" aspects....

as for the pistols....you can use some of the nicer looking peg board that you buy at Menards/Lowes, cut it to the size of the inside of your safe door and simply replace the panel that is there with it....usually they are attached in a manner that allows for easy replacements.....then you can simply buy the peg board inserts to hold your pistols on the door.....these small metal rods can be easily bent, cut, shaped to however you would prefer them to hold your guns and if you don't like the bare metal touching the nice finish on your pistols you can also buy the "liquid-rubber/splastic" dip cans....this stuff is meant to replace the soft grips on tools, but it'll work great for keeping the metal pegs from harming the surfaces on your guns

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have a grill snake light. It's made for the out door grill, has a base with 3 magnets on it, and a on off switch with about 12 inches of snake light. Stays where you put it and is bright enough to lite up the inside of your safe.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Mine is waterproof as well as fireproof, so I'd be limited to a battery powered light. Fortunately, once I get mine to its final location the room light is good there. I've seen all sorts of door hanging arrangements in for example Cabela's catalog, from wire frames to cloth with pockets, for pistols and whatnot. I'm going to be building or buying something of the sort soon. I plan to keep other valuable papers and items in there, so the shelves are pretty much committed.

natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    Lots of great ideas! I'll have to look for a hole already in my safe when I move it. On the pistal storage, it's still up in the air. I'm going to have to play around with the peg board and dowel rods before i buy anthing since I already have some laying around. Did I mention you guys ROCK!:ingo:

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    I picked up some battery powered motion senor lights and they work great, as soon as the safe door opens they come on. You can find them pretty much any place and they are cheap.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think the best thing you can do is use battery powered LED lights that you can stick with magnets inside the safe.
    No need to add a hole in the safe and in case the power goes off you can still see what's in your safe.
    I have battery powered light in my safe but I keep a flaslight in it anyway in case the batteries die or if I cant see something with the built-in light.

As for the guns you have many options.

handgun%20hanger%202%20web-sm.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

rackem12.jpg

Handgun holsters with Velcro can work too if you have a carpeted interior door.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I have 2 6-pistol racks similar to ones pictured above. I got them at Bradis and they are working out great.

I'm going to steal Brandon's idea of using the magnetized grill light. That's an awesome idea. I've seen those many, many times and never thought to put one in my safe. Rep inbound.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have 2 6-pistol racks similar to ones pictured above. I got them at Bradis and they are working out great.

I'm going to steal Brandon's idea of using the magnetized grill light. That's an awesome idea. I've seen those many, many times and never thought to put one in my safe. Rep inbound.

First thank ya for the rep... I'll return it when I reload on it... Here are 2 pics of my set up. I guess it has more then 12inches of "snake" more like 16 or so... can get up high or down low... or just plain out move it up or down to where I need it.
    305290_291742177521781_100000580036411_1088600_325163715_a.jpg

294212_291742137521785_100000580036411_1088599_1820018166_n.jpg

Top Bottom