• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Wasn't sure where to post this, so here it is!

How do you guys store your toys? Safe or cabinet?

Also, what would be a good "first safe"...I'm Po' Folk at the moment, but don't wanna waste my money. I've seen some safes with electronic locks and some with combo locks...seems like the combo lock would be better in case of battery failure, but don't know much about it.

Thanks in advance!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I use just locking gun cabinet right now due to money factor but will one day get a real safe. I have the StackOn brand cabinet they work very well and are pretty reasonable on price.

sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Where's a good place for a fella to find such a cabinet? I'd like to go that route actually, so when I buy a safe I can actually throw some cash at it!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In

sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    I actually even considered building one myself and locking with padlocks and a couple hasps until I can get a respectable safe.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    When I bought my first gun (for the second time around...) I thought "hmmm, now I need to lock this puppy up". I bought a second gun and decided "this just won't do" and went out and bought a browning RSC, the biggest I could afford. I put my 2 guns in it and looked at it thinking "that's just too much empty space.." so I proceeded to fill it up! There are some good threads on here about "safes" if you use the search function your head will begin spinning.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/164046-gun_safe-4.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ying_my_first_large_gun_safe_need_advice.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/141122-gun_safe_suggestions.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/133910-stack_on_10_gun_safe.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/130367-gun_safe_installation.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/62813-which_firearm_safes.html
    Last but not least...
    Safes And RSC's, An Overview - GunRightsMedia
    And finally just in case you didn't see it in all the threads I pasted for you....
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    Dunham's is always having sales. I want to buy a used one though as I will get more bang for my buck. It's not like a 10 year old gun safe is worn out. It just sits there. If it is having mechanical problems I will pass on it. I bet Trader's World magazine would be a great place to start. Some folks just want the thing out of the house. Imagine they inherited the thing along with everything else the person had. To them it's a 500 lb paperweight. That's why people sell tread mills: they aren't going to use it and it takes up a lot of room. Heck they may even deliver the darn thing to your door just to seal the deal.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    That's kinda what I was thinkin...

Wait, have you been lookin in my corner?
    You should clean that corner up, looking a little cluttered.
    If you just need to lock it up from the kids you can put a good lock on a closet door for $20. If you need a cheap safe now you can look at Stack-On. In the long run you will be better of with a Johnson safe or one of the higher end safes, but sometimes it's all about the money available.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    do NOT buy a cabinet. For a small amount more you can have a decent entry level safe. Look at Menards or Dicks - they had a huge safe inventory at christmas - watch the sales. I own both electronic and non-electronic safes. They are noth fine - if battery fail - put a new battery in;) If electronics fail then you can open with a key. I prefer manual combination however.

Stack-on and liberty both make some real nice entry level safes you can bolt to the floor for that can be had for under $400. They will not be fireproof but if you have scheduled homeowners insurance who cares...:twocents::twocents:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    do NOT buy a cabinet. For a small amount more you can have a decent entry level safe. Look at Menards or Dicks - they had a huge safe inventory at christmas - watch the sales. I own both electronic and non-electronic safes. They are noth fine - if battery fail - put a new battery in;) If electronics fail then you can open with a key. I prefer manual combination however.

Stack-on and liberty both make some real nice entry level safes you can bolt to the floor for that can be had for under $400. They will not be fireproof but if you have scheduled homeowners insurance who cares...:twocents::twocents:
    A sheet or two of drywall will basically fireproof a safe (that's how it's done) and DON'T fall for the "homeowners insurance" registration scheme....suckers.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    both, ones that dont mean as much to me or don't fire are in the cabinet... anything that means something to me or is in firing condition is in a safe... but that safe was lost in the great ingo boating accident a while back.

majohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    I have a cheap gun cabinet I bought at K mart years ago and does fine. It came with 2 keys. I have lost one key and afraid i might loose it. I would sugguest combo lock of some kind. Does anyone know how I can get extra keys to an old Kmart gun cabinet?

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Tractor Supply and Rural King sell safes and cabinets as well Menards (mentioned above). I want a Johnson, but may be relocating and don't want to have to worry about moving it.

Top Bottom