• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    Does anyone know of a moving company in Indy that would move a gun safe (roughly 550 lbs) and a refrigerator from a garage to a basement?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just get some of those furniture sliders. When you get to the top of the stairs, give it a shove. Let gravity work for you.

Whats the worst that can happen? Lol

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    If you take the door off it is not that heavy with a furniture dolly. That is how I moved mine door lifts right up. Then it is about the wt of the ref..

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Cameramonkey Just get some of those furniture sliders. When you get to the top of the stairs, give it a shove. Let gravity work for you.

Whats the worst that can happen? Lol

'My stairs aren't straight. They have 2 90 degree corners."

Not after you let gravity do the work for you.LOL

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    hire a couple out of work youngsters, if you can find any that are willing to do manual labor for a few bucks! GL

Hire a professional...you save in the long run with damage to walls and the safe.

You will also save from not giving out an invite for the disreputable to case the house and help themselves later ( unless zippy is taking it for granted that this would be limited to unemployed youngsters you already know and trust sufficiently far).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You will also save from not giving out an invite for the disreputable to case the house and help themselves later ( unless zippy is taking it for granted that this would be limited to unemployed youngsters you already know and trust sufficiently far).

And teens generally arent bonded and insured so if they slip, its time to :spend:.

I agree. Hire a reputable pro like Johnson.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    A great professional

To Gunselman (et alia),

I would not hesitate to use James Weimer with Professional Safe & Vault. This guy moved my AmSEC 6036 weighing in at 976# without a mark or scratch anywhere. He is very wife friendly and sees to it that the save goes where you want it without messing up anything.

He has employees all over the state and this is what they DO!

Welcome to Vault Mover | 260.417.1345 (260) 417 - 1345.

Regards,

Doug

TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    Mine weighs 770lbs. It took 2 of us to slide it out of my truck in the garage and put it on an appliance dolly. I used several heavy duty ratchet straps to secure it. Since there's 3 concrete stairs going into my kitchen where it's a straight shot down my basement stairs, I drank a few beers and built a handicap ramp the next day. It then took 4 of us to get it up the ramp and lay it down. Thankfully, I had the foresight to lay down a little sheet of wood to protect the tile. I ran two 2x6's down my stairs to distribute the weight. Using some heavy duty rope that I use to do tree work, I secured it to the dolly. Then I lined the front of my truck up with the safe and weaved it through the tow hooks in the front. Two people were then easily able to control it's speed down the stairs. We tipped it up, unhooked the dolly, and used 4 furniture sliders to easily scoot it across the carpet. I saved myself $400 but you've got 90 degree turns. I think 4 strong guys could handle most 550lb safes but you will have to determine if it's possible to navigate the corners and if your stairs will hold 4 guys and a 550lb safe. If there is any doubt, I'd hire a licensed and bonded professional. Good luck with the project.

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    To Gunselman (et alia),

I would not hesitate to use James Weimer with Professional Safe & Vault. This guy moved my AmSEC 6036 weighing in at 976# without a mark or scratch anywhere. He is very wife friendly and sees to it that the save goes where you want it without messing up anything.

He has employees all over the state and this is what they DO!

Welcome to Vault Mover | 260.417.1345 (260) 417 - 1345.

Regards,

Doug

This is who I used to move a safe to my basement. As you approach my basement stairwell, there is a landing at the top of the stairs with a wall on the left and backside of the landing. So, you have to go into the opening and turn right to go down the stairs. I rented a heavy duty dolly and got 4 strong neighbors to assist but we just couldn't get comfortable to take that first step down the stairs. Our biggest issue was that when we couldn't tip it back far enough without hitting the wall. Anyhow, I hired the guys above and they did it without any problem with a robotic mover. It wasn't cheap but it also wasn't worth the potential of killing the three of us on the down hill side of the safe.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I contacted Jeff @ Johnson safe. He's politely told me he wasn't interested in this. The staircase is proving to be a large issue for most people. Maybe it's time to look at building a temporary staircase to allow me to get this down there.?

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    I contacted Jeff @ Johnson safe. He's politely told me he wasn't interested in this. The staircase is proving to be a large issue for most people. Maybe it's time to look at building a temporary staircase to allow me to get this down there.?

As a carpenter, I thnk that would get real involved. But, since you're looking into it, is there a utility room over the space? A staircasew ill require a 6' x 4' opening in your floor. Easier still would be a 3' x 3' opening and a bit of framing with wood or metal, or both to place a chain-fall over the opening and lowering the safe through the floor. Box off the cut off floor joists and put the floor back down, BUT, leave if as a hatch so the safe may be rmoved at some point, or another lowered down there too. It would make an easy access for fridge, freezer, washer/dryer too. (It doesn't have to be a utility room, that was a suggestion.)
    You can me at either number in my website if I need to clarify it. www.albertsroofing.com.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    I just thought of something. No tripod needed. If you went this route, and the span was in a closet or hall, I can see a 6' x 4" I-beam in the attic crossing over two walls with an eye-bolt protuding into the ceiling, or even hidden inside a 'can-light' fixture with a cover over it. When ever you wanted to move something, just pop the hatch, pop the cover, hook the chainfall and raise it up. Or leave the hatch closed, roll something on it, hook it up, lift it and remove the hatch to lower the item. Cover the hatch with a throw-rug so it's not visible.
    No need for a moving crew anytime you want to do something.

Top Bottom