• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    I have been looking at safes would like to stay under 1000. I have an old metal cabinet now that I am outgrowing. Looked at a Winchester and cannon 24 gun safes at tsc wondered if they are any good or should I keep looking.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You will get plenty of recommendations.

How I made my decision:

1. What is the value of my firearms?
    2. How many do I have?
    3. How concerned/worried am I that someone will break in and take my safe with them or open it and take the contents?
    4. Where am I going to put it?
    5. Am I concerned about fire?

Once I answered those questions I originally decided to turn my home office closet into a "safe". But then I fell into a end of season, scratch and dent, 11% off, reduced to cost due to scratch and only 3 left sale at Menards. So I bought it.

I am happy.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I almost hate to post this because I'm always looking for safes, but if you aren't in a hurry my advice would be to watch Craig's List. It has taken a couple of years, but I've picked up several TL30 and 1 TL30x6 very heavy duty safes, and only the TL30x6 cost me over $1000.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I have one of those safes. They are great safes for the price point. You have to consider your situation and what you think are the most likely things to cause problems with a particular safe. If it's easily removed from your home, it doesn't really matter what kind of "quality" was put into it. Location of the home, location inside the home, properly securing it, etc. are all more important than the safe itself.

That said, ALWAYS go witha safe that is bigger than you need right now because you will eventually outgrow it and ALWAYS go with the best fire rating you can get. Sometimes the two of these are a balancing effect of sorts. Something else I recommend is looking for bolts on ALL sides of the door.

Take a look at what I had to say some time ago and see if it helps.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...2410-considerations-purchasing-gun-safes.html

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Gun safes are insurance policies. The better the protection (coverage), the better the safe you'll want to buy. I've got a Liberty but I've never had it put to a test yet *knocking on wood*. I like it. I've heard good things about Johnsons. It's too late now but our Orscheln's store had a moonlight madness sale last night where after 9:30 regularly priced merchandise was 20% off--they carry gun safes.

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    I have a 48 gun Cannon and like it for what I need right now. If you wait for Black Friday, TSC sells it for $700. That's how I got mine. I'm not crazy about the electronic lock, but it's all I can afford.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I have been looking at safes would like to stay under 1000. I have an old metal cabinet now that I am outgrowing. Looked at a Winchester and cannon 24 gun safes at tsc wondered if they are any good or should I keep looking.

I have the Winchester safe from TSC.... No complaints, works just fine.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To tk71 (et alia),

If you want to feel safe, buy whatever you want. If you want to BE safe make certain you purchase something that has been Underwriters Laboratory (UL) tested and rated!!!

Their testing sets the standard for quality products. They have years of engineering knowledge that they use to truly test the products sent to them.

If the product you purchase hasn't been tested then you are simply basing your information on sales propaganda. There is nothing wrong with sales propaganda in and of itself, it is what every company does to sell its product. But that doesn't mean that it is accurate or relevant to what you need.

The TL30 rating is one of the best there is! I believe there may(?) be a TL60 but I am unsure.

If I were you I would do a LOT of research on safes and gun safes. Find out for yourself what the terms are and what they really mean. Then I think you will find that a LOT of safes that "look" good may not "be" good. And even IF they are good, you will understand what "good" means.

Good luck!

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom