• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Here is a heads up to all who use Birchwood Casey Gunscrubber. Do not let this product come in contact with your fiber optic sights. While the picture does not show very clearly, the center of the insert is pretty well melted. This was after a very brief exposure to the product ( maybe 10 seconds )
    MPSight005.jpg

MPSight009.jpg

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    I would never use Gun Scrubber on anything other than a bolt group.
    That stuff can damage a lot of things....

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I don't use gun scrubber on anything!! I would rather get in there and scrub it my self with good old Hoppe's number 9. But thanks for the heads up, might save someone else the head ache.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    thats a miss by several manufactures, Gun scrubber needs to change its formula, the fiber companies need to change their formula.

Things should be getting better and that shouldn't happen

Hope you can get somebody to send you a new sight

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I don't use gun scrubber on anything!! I would rather get in there and scrub it my self with good old Hoppe's number 9.

Which is exactly what I do and then rinse with GS. I have used this product for a few years and never had a problem before. I guess I never got it on fiber optics before though.

Why don't you use gunscrubber on anything? Not trying to start an argument just curious.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    ive personally never heard anything all that good about BC gun scrubber.ive seen countless posts about people who have had issues with it.there was someone on here not too long ago that messed up their highpoint carbine with this stuff if my memory is correct.

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    Dang thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to note this in the future for my m&p fiber optic front. I will try not to get any type of solvent/cleaner near it.

You should order you another one from novak. $35 isnt all that bad for a new one imo. I got mine from them.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Harsh products should never be used on the exterior of any firearm, just oil only and a toothbrush to spread it around. I once ruined a Bulgarian AK (Arsenal) it had a black finish, that must of been nothing more than some kind of paint. Shooters Choice ruined that one, the finish came off on my patches a nice purple color. After that I never use anything but oil on the exterior, they just don't get that dirty. And regular gun oil can take away what little dirt is on the outside of your slide.

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Yeah, whatever is in that stuff is in Strike hold. I have an etched powder hopper from Lee because some spray got on it......

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I only used 1 can of Gun Scrubber, no problems. I flush out the gunk in my revolvers so I don't have to detail strip them. I used to use aerosol carburetter cleaner to spray out old oil,foreign matter. I think the carb cleaner is cheaper, I'm going back to using that.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I bet i have some spare fiber optic insert rods in red and green laying around... if you are interest in having me replace that one let me know and ill dig them up.

ReadnFool

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Sheridan, IN
    Most of the firearms manufacturers make sure to use solvent resistant synthetic materials. For the fiber optic rod that would necessitate a decrease in performance due to material options available. The synthetic safe spray cleaners usually skip the extremely agressive (and effective) chlorinated compounds that agressively attack most plastics. That does not mean that they are safe to use, just safer. It will always say test first and that is good advice.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Agree, it's always good to test on an tiny area that you really dont mind if it affects it! I really have not used gun scrub in a long time. My handguns get field stripped. My long guns I clean them the best I can with q-tips, and a good cleaning oil.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    Dang thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to note this in the future for my m&p fiber optic front. I will try not to get any type of solvent/cleaner near it.

You should order you another one from novak. $35 isnt all that bad for a new one imo. I got mine from them.

The little piece of FO itself is made to be replaced. You just melt the ends to make them stay in place. Any thing that damages the outer surface of the rod cuts down on light transmission.

Google: fiber optic rod replacement

Top Bottom