Gun shop sign on door says unload now!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I was wondering if that is a legal thing. Does anyone know? When I have unholstered my gun in a gun shop I have been asked by the guy at the counter "Is it unloaded?" As if he fully expected me to have a loaded gun in my holster in his store.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    It's their right to make their own rules, but I won't do business with a gun shop that makes me unload my gun. I have gone up to the door of more than one gun shop and turned around when I saw that sign.

That being said, I can somewhat understand why they have the sign. Some hilljack comes in with a gun he wants to trade and lays it on the counter, only for the employee to find out it is loaded. Or someone wants to play show and tell with their EDC, and decides to coonfinger it all over the shop. Or a guy comes in looking for a new holster, and doesn't bother unloading.

Of course, I always unload and double check every firearm that I take in for service or trade. But I will not unload my EDC, and it won't be coming out of the holster. If a gun shop won't let me do that, then I'll just take my business elsewhere.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The real question is do they have a sand barrel next to that sign or are they ok with NDs on the parking lot?

I would not unload my carry gun no matter what the sign says.
    Of course if I come to sell a gun or to have them check one of my guns it will be unloaded prior to even leaving the house, and I will double check once I get to the store, and triple check once I hand the gun over to them.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Accidents waiting to happen. Went to Bradis yesterday and my wife waited in the car, when I came out she said a guy came out sweeping the parking lot while trying to reload.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Accidents waiting to happen. Went to Bradis yesterday and my wife waited in the car, when I came out she said a guy came out sweeping the parking lot while trying to reload.

Yep they always do things half way.
    They ask you to unload/reload but wont provide a safe area to do so, with sand barrel and such.
    Not that I would unload if they had such a safe area anyway.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I was wondering if that is a legal thing. Does anyone know? When I have unholstered my gun in a gun shop I have been asked by the guy at the counter "Is it unloaded?" As if he fully expected me to have a loaded gun in my holster in his store.

Pulling a gun out of a holster anywhere really isn't the best idea.
    Why would anyone assume that the gun isn't loaded?? If you're taking a firearm in for service or to test holsters please use a case or bag.

Behavior like this is why gun shops make these rules. Someone comes in and pulls a loaded firearm out of a holster and proceeds to point it every which way.

Back on topic I won't shop at a store that makes customers disarm or unload prior to entry. A shop that deals in the 2A but does not support the exercise of it does not deserve my business. How they come to the conclusion that customers handling loaded weapons in the parking lot is safer than leaving them secured in a holster is beyond me.

GlockInLaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    The store rep at the place I went to today said that the sign did not apply to weapons being carried for personal protrction . He explained that the sign is intended for those bringing guns to be traded or worked on. He said people are often not careful and will sweep the store with the weapon. They also don't want be surprised to find a loaded weapon on the counter. I would suggest you ask the store reps to clarify their policy before you quit a store.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    We did have a clearing barrel in the foyer for awhile, but nobody used it... :dunno:

Does the big sign on the door also hold true for EDCs? If I have no reason to unholster my sidearm, I would think I would have no need to unload.
    No offense intended, just wanting to know in case I make it down that way again someday.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Pulling a gun out of a holster anywhere really isn't the best idea.
    Why would anyone assume that the gun isn't loaded?? If you're taking a firearm in for service or to test holsters please use a case or bag.

Behavior like this is why gun shops make these rules. Someone comes in and pulls a loaded firearm out of a holster and proceeds to point it every which way.

I agree - I did it wrong. I had brought my gun into the shop unloaded but carrying it in my holster with the intent of getting sights installed. I should have brought it in in my range bag with the slide locked back.

The signs should say NO LOADED GUNS UNLESS THEY STAY IN THE HOLSTER. I will continue to do business in shops with the signs up and will carry my EDC and leave it in the holster.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    That is one of the advantages of a revolver. Easy unloading and with speed loaders loading. Swing open, press lever, catch rounds in hand, swing closed.

It is there place of business, there store, there rules, (well maybe the insurance companies.) It is your choice to vote with your wallet.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    We don't have one of those signs. Whenever I've encountered one at other shops, I interpret it to mean the trade-ins coming through the door, not somebody's personal protection EDC.
    For instance, I saw the sign on SniperCo's door, but I wasn't bringing in a trade/sell/repair, so my Kimber stayed loaded, holstered, concealed, and ready.

I guess if a representative of Sniper tells me/us different in this thread or another...that'll be the definitive meaning of the sign.

Top Bottom