• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ace3one7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm going to my first gun show this weekend. What should i expect? I wanna hear stories and experiences from you guys, I know most of you have been to plenty of them. What's the best deal you've gotten on a gun?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Best deals all have a few common traits:
    1) You have cash (or, less commonly, a desirable trade item)
    2) You are looking for a deal rather than a particular item
    3) Seller has no profit interest (not needing to make money on the sale)

My best was probably a S&W Model 10 that I gave $200 for. Another guy offered me $260 for it just a few minutes later, and I couldn't turn it down.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The Indy1500 is big. Lots of stuff to look at and lots of people crammed around the tables looking. I'm planning on going on Friday and looking forward to it. There are good deals to be had, but you have to look for them. Plenty to see. Food prices are very high, just a warning. It's like what you'd pay at a fair or amusement park (or movie theater). First time at one, I was looking to a good deal on a G34. First table in was PSS and he had a used one for a great price. Also been to one where I couldn't find what I wanted for a price I'd pay, so you can't be a winner every time. Still fun to go walk around and check everything out. Don't forget to check out the INGO table while you're there!

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Have not been to one in years, sadly I started going in 1992 after being transfered here, to me the show(s) were about guns and ammo back then to my taste(s). Now it seems to me things are way overpriced, and what I like products are hard to find and or to expensive to buy. Beanie babies, tupperware, and fudge are avaliable as well as crowds and cropdusters, so I stay away.

But yes, bring cash, find out whens the best time to go, lok up anything you don't want taken from your car, and enjoy the show.
    Do stop by the INGO table and reply back here telling us how you found the show to be.

JoshSmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Been to a couple and bought a couple of accessories and got em for great prices. Bought a softshell case for 5 decided i didn't want it after a few months and sold it for 10. What ever you do DO NOT stop at those "hey buy this type of booth" me and some buddies were stuck listening to a lengthy speech and presentation on some anti fog cream. My buddy bought 2 bottles of it just to shut the guy up. Needless to say i seen the same type of stuff a few months later at the store for like 1/4 of that guys price. Btw my buddy used it at work on his glasses becuase he is constantly going in and outside and it didnt work that great like the guy claimed, But dont get me wrong there are some great vendors private and commercial that have great prices and items. Also as everyone else has said bring cash!

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    The Indy 1500 gun show is great entertainment. Its fun to look around, see new products, and see friends with the common hobby of guns. Its cheaper than a movie and lots more fun!!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    For me its a place to go and sell stuff. Prices are over full blown retail so I never take much home except for powder and primers only if they are at a reasonable price. Lately powder is hard to find and primers are still a bit over priced. Needless to say have stayed home this season for the most part although did go and sell off a bunch of stuff last month.

Seems like women and flea market junk have infiltrated the shows. Chinese knives and candy and quilts. Don't forget the crop dusters and body order and know it all's. Go check it out its fun.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    My best experiences at gun shows were buying SKSs for $69, that was many years ago, though.

Ahhhhh the good old days. They couldn't give them away either. I remember skids of them and boy was ammo cheap.

I was hesitant to pay a guy two hundred for a new one in the cosmoline not too long ago and flipped it for three fifty. Now at the shows I see them shot out and beat to crap for four fifty. To me they are nothing but a fifty dollar junk rifle like most surplus clunkers. Sad to see people spend good money on smithing and aftermarket parts and still have a turd.

Better off buying a new Savage anything and still be money ahead.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Best deals all have a few common traits:
    1) You have cash (or, less commonly, a desirable trade item)
    2) You are looking for a deal rather than a particular item
    3) Seller has no profit interest (not needing to make money on the sale)

Good advice, I look for deals on this and that.

And you probably don't want to be caught admitting to flipping on a public forum. What you did was illegal. There's a reason when you sell a gun to one of those guys with tables and no FFL that they place the gun off to the side.

Don't forget the crop dusters and body order and know it all's. Go check it out its fun.
    Lunch for me this week is Cuban black bean soup in preparation. I'm coming in low, slow and dropping a thick fog on you fools.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    And you probably don't want to be caught admitting to flipping on a public forum. What you did was illegal.

Buying a gun and then reselling it for a profit without a license is not illegal. Operating a business that buys and sells guns without a license is illegal.

I don't know of any business that makes just one or two sales per gun show.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I usually enjoy the gun shows, even if I don't buy anything big most times. I will say that I'm done trying to sell guns there. It's a huge pain, lugging your gun around (especially if it's a rifle) and being stopped every 20 seconds by people who have no intention of buying your gun whatsoever.

As to my best deal, I did pick up an 1873 Springfield trapdoor rifle for $350 last year that needed $18 in parts and about 5 minutes to get it running again (and I'm a fumble-fingered idiot when it comes to gun repair). That gun a hoot to take to the range.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    The Indy1500 is a heck of a gun show to be your first one.
    It's the biggest by far. when you go other local shows, they will pale in comparison except for Knob Creek, KY.

Cash is king at the gun show. Bring lots.
    Some of the bigger dealers will take credit cards, but will often charge you an additional 3-4%.

Ask what their "best price is for cash" 9 times out of 10, you will get a better price.
    The smaller dealers love cash because they will often shop the show themselves and try to find more stuff to sell on their table.

Make a shopping list to help you stay focused.
    It's pretty overwhelming for first timers and if you don't make a list, you'll probably forget what you came in to buy 30 seconds after you walk in.

Wear comfortable shoes. The floor is concrete and pretty unforgiving. It takes a few hours to walk the whole show and you will be on your feet all day.

Eat before you go.
    Preferably something that gives you horrific gas so you can play the "fart & dart" game... Maybe that's just me... :laugh:
    (the fart & dart game is where you fart then dart away and wait for people to walk through the stench you just left there and gag.... pretty fun)

Captianbullseye

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 31, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I am going also this weekend! It is very fun to go to even if you earn't looking to buy anything. But you should always bring some cash because you don't know what deals you will find!

magus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Central IN
    It's a great place to look at holsters, cases, and bags. It's always nice to be able to fit your weapon right then and there to see if you like it.

Top Bottom