• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    I gave my father a Walther P22 for Christmas two years ago. Recently it began malfunctioning to the point it would not fire. It would properly load and eject each round, but when you pulled the trigger nothing would happen. There was no indication that the firing pin had even struck the rim of the cartridge. I've torn the gun apart and cleaned and lubricated it, but had no luck resolving the issue. The firing pin appears to be intact, so I am at a loss. At this point he doesn't want to mess with it anymore and would like to have it looked at by a gun smith. I've never had occasion to use a gun smith before. Is going to Gander Mountain okay? Any other suggestions for someone on the south or central side of Indy?

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Call S&W. They will arrange for shipping. I know you said you don't want to mess with it any more, but you might want to double-check the key lock. Mine wouldn't fire, and I thought that the key lock was off, but I was mistaken - it was partially on. The guy at the gun shop was able to turn it off, and that fixed the problem.

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Dumb question, but did you triple check to see if the safety was off?

Yeah, the problem is actually a bit more complicated than I described originally. It was having the issue intermittently where sometime it would fire and sometimes it wouldn't. After I took it apart and cleaned it really well, I took an empty cartridge and stuck it in there and the pin seemed to be working as it was now making visible strikes on the rim consistently. I gave it back to my father and he tried to take it to the range a month latter and it wouldn't fire at all. I don't really mind playing with it some more, but he just wants it fixed. Thanks for the suggestions.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Interesting...

An intermittent failure to fire.

In a full size centerfire pistol, I'd begin to wonder it it wasn't the hammer/main spring that was wearing out...

But perhaps that's the issue in the P22 as well.

ONE more thing to check: What kind of ammo are you using? Your father?

Is it possible that the gun isn't going fully into battery due to the ammo he's using and that's causing the issue?

-J-

Top Bottom