The only good clown is a dead clown.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am amazed every time I hang out in a gun shop for a bit, amazed. And just for the record, that looks nothing like my LGS! :):

None of my haunts comes close to this level of employee's.

I have stepped across the politically correct boundary and let a few idiots know to point the gun down and away....right away.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Dropping the slide on an empty chamber can cause sear damage with some inferior firearms.

I have heard not to dry fire but I had never heard this. I always rack the slide to make sure I can and then I try to gently release the slide. I have small hands so I have to make sure I can do both easily before even considering a new gun.

Usually the salesman tells me I can just depress the button that I don't need to be gentle with it.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    • Do not dry fire the weapon. Dry firing is pulling the trigger when the gun has no ammunition or a snap cap in it. It is damaging to some guns, especially rimfire guns, if they are dry fired. It is understandable that you want to feel the trigger when considering a new gun. Ask the clerk before dry firing.
    • Do not disassemble the gun. If you want to see its guts, ask the clerk to disassemble it for you.
    • Do not flick the cylinder of a revolver back in place.
    • Do not release the slide of a semi-automatic.
    • Do not “force” the gun to operate. I have had times when I have pushed the magazine release and nothing happened. I always ask for help.
    • Do not be afraid to admit you are a newbie. It is best not to act like a know-it-all when you aren’t.
    I've always followed these rules and glad to see them posted. My personal rule is that EVERY time a gun touches my hand I clear it. I remove the magazine, lock the slide back, etc. when not in use, at least.

I will admit it. I made a dummy move not too long ago. I was used to handling a certain gun that I had been shooting more around that time. When that gun releases the mag sort of "catches" itself before ejecting all the way out. I was in Bradis one day checking out a new line of 1911's they had in. Going about my normal process of clearing, and out of force of habit from one of my personal guns, I pressed the mag release without cupping my hand under the mag well. Mag SHOT out straight for the floor. :ugh:

I actually felt embarrassed (which isn't an easy accomplishment for me). Needless to say, I was :wallbash: all night after that. I felt like such a noob.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I neeeed that Pennywise target!!
    The only good clown is a dead clown.

Can't sleep the clowns will get me.

Can't sleep the clowns will ................

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Maybe these should be posted at the stores.
    But the, no would read it anyway.
    My brother and I were at a store, customer muzzled me 4 times before I calmly informed him it's bad manners to point a gun at someone.
    He told me don't worry, its not loaded.
    Overriding the impulse to point mine, and inform him Mine Isn't, I instead calmly asked him if he had NEVER heard of someone shot by an UNLOADED weapon.

Good article, thanks.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    By the way.. I can't believe people actually do any of this, but then again.. I can. I've worked in a gun shop and I've seen it first hand "a few times".

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Yes,enjoyed the post,now to remind all gunshop owners and clerks.....Being behind that counter does not make you an instant expert.You will have people walk in that seem to be average joes,that do not need to be instructed on which is the "best for the money","9 millimeter is the smallest caliber practical for self-defense"......Yada,Yada,Yada!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    By the way.. I can't believe people actually do any of this, but then again.. I can. I've worked in a gun shop and I've seen it first hand "a few times".

These are the same folks that do not know how to use a 4 way stop, a round about or have any parking lot etiquette. I could go on and on but will save the energy.

Top Bottom