• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...In the end, you buy a gun from a stranger, how would you know it WASN'T stolen? I would imagine there are a lot of good people that have stolen guns they would have never dreamed of and will likely never know they are stolen...

None with public access. If you have reason, call an officer and we can run the numbers.

...My only caveat is that it goes with me if I get a stolen hit on it.

Thank you for the info! I'd certainly like to have a good method for checking multiple guns purchased privately.

If you get a stolen hit, do you arrest the carrier?

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

To guard against that problem, I'd request a photo of the SN BEFORE the transaction so it could be run. (and of course double check they match before cash is handed over later!)

A legit individual would have no reason to say no... Just like somebody asking you to take the car to the buyer's trusted mechanic prior to the handshake for an inspection. If they say no RUN, not walk, RUN away as fast as you can.

After all, if it comes back "dirty" you are only out the immediate opportunity for "a deal", and the poor seller is possibly out the gun when the officer running said check wants to meet the seller on your behalf ;).

Unless its a pair of antique double barrel shotguns, more will come along later so dont sweat it. (Why, yes, I just watched Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels last night, why do you ask?:):)

Which gets me to thinking. How many legit shops like Bradis, BGF, etc run the numbers before they buy/resell guns?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Ok I could see pawnshops wanting to check the serial numbers on guns. But what about gunshops? I have personally seen a shop purchase a pistol for cash and then put that gun directly into the case. Maybe the shop knew the seller or there were other circumstances. I am sure they would have had to log the gun into inventory, so maybe they just needed a more secure place to stick the pistol for a minute. But some gunshops will indeed purchase used guns for resell. If the numbers are not checked then it woudl be entirely possible for a retail/FFL shop to unintentionally resell a stolen gun.

In Illinois and Florida...It isnt that the pawnshops "want to"....its required by law.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    I keep the numbers of all weapons in my safe and my EDC in my phone. Plus in a FTF buy I have a friend run the number shortly after I take possession.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    To guard against that problem, I'd request a photo of the SN BEFORE the transaction so it could be run. (and of course double check they match before cash is handed over later!)

A legit individual would have no reason to say no... Just like somebody asking you to take the car to the buyer's trusted mechanic prior to the handshake for an inspection. If they say no RUN, not walk, RUN away as fast as you can.

Who do you have run the numbers for you?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...If you get a stolen hit, do you arrest the carrier?

I am asking the officers here if they arrest the carrier if their gun gets a hit as stolen? The reason being that some folks carry BUGs, long guns, competition guns, etc. I assume that if arrest happens all guns in vehicle would be confiscated into IMPDs property storage be they stolen or not?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Thank you for the info! I'd certainly like to have a good method for checking multiple guns purchased privately.

VERY RARELY does the possessor get arrested for a stolen gun. We have to prove the carrier KNEW it was stolen and that is hard to prove short of a confession.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    VERY RARELY does the possessor get arrested for a stolen gun. We have to prove the carrier KNEW it was stolen and that is hard to prove short of a confession.

Yeah, I bought a really nice Kimber for only $50, but he had a really honest face. I can't believe it is stolen...

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I am asking the officers here if they arrest the carrier if their gun gets a hit as stolen? The reason being that some folks carry BUGs, long guns, competition guns, etc. I assume that if arrest happens all guns in vehicle would be confiscated into IMPDs property storage be they stolen or not?

Yes, guns in a vehicle where it would get towed from an arrest will get taken to our property room.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yes, guns in a vehicle where it would get towed from an arrest will get taken to our property room.

OK, this is really off-topic...

...but after living here for 35 years or so, I am itching to know what kinds of odd treasures lurk inside the IMPD property room. Any standout stories?

(Any chance you can snap a pic next time you're there? ;) )

-Paul

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bwframe, I haven't had the need yet. Just making my suggestion after carefully considering the ramifications of WHEN to have the numbers run.

personally, I've only done purchases with close friends and gun shops and haven't the need to run the numbers yet.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    OK, this is really off-topic...

...but after living here for 35 years or so, I am itching to know what kinds of odd treasures lurk inside the IMPD property room. Any standout stories?

(Any chance you can snap a pic next time you're there? ;) )

-Paul

Ha, well there are barrels of rifles/shotguns, not sure where the unwanted pistols are. Guns in evidence are in separate individual boxes. I don't get back there very often but we do get some neat stuff only to have it torched.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All INGO LEOs who have "run numbers" on handguns confiscated from legal handgun carriers:

What would happen if you took, say, a run of the mill 1911 type handgun off someone to go run the serial number… and it doesn't have one… because the carrier you confiscated it from manufactured it legally for his own personal use? Do any of you have procedures, and more's to the point, know those procedures to handle such a situation?

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    1. You have no duty to inform in Indiana.

2. The cop did what he was supposed to do.

You posted this rant why?

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    1. You have no duty to inform in Indiana.

2. The cop did what he was supposed to do.

You posted this rant why?

Do tell? So, LEO's have the right to just open the car door, disarm, sweep the passenger and confiscate the weapon without any RS/PC or a warrant.

Last time I heard this is not a police state. There is the 4th Amendment in case you forgot.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    All INGO LEOs who have "run numbers" on handguns confiscated from legal handgun carriers:

What would happen if you took, say, a run of the mill 1911 type handgun off someone to go run the serial number… and it doesn't have one… because the carrier you confiscated it from manufactured it legally for his own personal use? Do any of you have procedures, and more's to the point, know those procedures to handle such a situation?

We have come across older guns that were pre-serial number requirements. I don't recall any problems arising from them. There is a distinct difference in appearance between a gun with a removed SN and one that never had one to begin with.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Hmmm, maybe a dept policy. My only caveat is that it goes with me if I get a stolen hit on it.

But this opens another can of worms. You find someone in possession of a gun reported stolen. Don't you have to treat that as a possible 'receiving stolen property' case? Hard to prove, but now you really DO have RS that criminal activity is afoot. You're not just going to let this guy walk, now that you're found he has a stolen gun...?

If an officer goes to the trouble of running the numbers, 'just in case', what exactly is he intending to do if the gun comes back dirty? Just because someone has a LTCH doesn't mean they're not also a thief, or get their guns from thieves.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Do tell? So, LEO's have the right to just open the car door, disarm, sweep the passenger and confiscate the weapon without any RS/PC or a warrant.

Last time I heard this is not a police state. There is the 4th Amendment in case you forgot.

Therein lies the rub. Courts have allowed officers to hold firearms for the duration of the traffic stop under the umbrella of "officer safety". I don't do that unless I need to but it's not "illegal" if I did. There have been some rulings that skirt this issue that "appear" to favor gun carriers but there is no clear ruling/law forbidding this practice.

Top Bottom