• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Just curious if anyone here is also into Jeeps. I generally tend to be topless and doorless as often as possible and am contemplating a good way to keep my guns locked in it while I'm out and about. Figured I would see what others have done.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    there are a couple threads on this already - use the search tool on INGO - as well as a couple good youtube vids (yankee marshal has one, for example)

In short, you'll need to bolt a lockbox into your jeep - middle console, or under a seat are the preferred locations. This would only work for handguns, and should be considered a temporary storage area (if you can't carry at your destination). If someone had enough time, most of these lockboxes are destroyed/removed. In other words, it's enough to keep away the smash-n-grab stuff, but someone more determined could still take it.

If you wanna take long guns, or leave them in your vehicle permanently, I don't kow if I'd feel comfortable doing that in a Jeep for 24/365.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    As a gun owner that has driven a Jeep Wrangler everyday since 2005, I will give you this advice....don't keep anything of value inside your Jeep Wrangler. Especially if your Jeep is topless.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have a small lockbox in my TJ. I try not to use it, and don't leave ANYTHING of value in my Jeep if I can avoid it. Like you, the top/doors are off most of the summer (well, not THIS summer). Jeeps are simply not secure at all.

Probably the best handgun storage is Tuffy's under-seat locking drawer. If bolted in correctly, it would be difficult to open or remove without being noticed. It should even fit most holstered handguns, and a spare mag.

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Aaahhh Didnt see the jeepers thread, my search fu failed me.
    Ive had my Jeep for years and generally just don't keep anything in it I would be pissed to lose. Im getting ready to purchase my first pistol and in driving around with friends and theirs it kinda dawned on me I should be looking into a way to lock that up in the jeep. I like the under seat drawers, just not sure how those would deal with water.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    As Lovemachine kinda mentioned.... the lockbox should be empty 99% of the time, unless you happen to be visiting a "prohibited place" and need to lock up. The safest place is in on your person.

Unless submerged (and yeah, I've done that), the drawer should stay dry inside. It is fairly water resistant on its own, plus being under the seat. Leave the Jeep's drain plugs out, and even getting stuck in a downpour shouldn't hurt the box.

Here is the one I'm referring to:
    https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-285-tuffy-tj-lj-conceal-carry-security-drawer-no-flip-seat.aspx
    285_1_.jpg

Mounts using the seat's mounting bolts. A pry bar would eventually get it open, but only after a great deal of cursing.

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    As Lovemachine kinda mentioned.... the lockbox should be empty 99% of the time, unless you happen to be visiting a "prohibited place" and need to lock up. The safest place is in on your person.
    exactly this

Unless submerged (and yeah, I've done that), the drawer should stay dry inside. It is fairly water resistant on its own, plus being under the seat. Leave the Jeep's drain plugs out, and even getting stuck in a downpour shouldn't hurt the box.
    Ive been in deep enough to consider an under seat box submerged a few times, but so far have been lucky enough to get the top up in time for downpours but.. Its a jeep it will get wet

20150525_133055.jpg

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Welcome to the club. I drive a YJ and as others have said, try not to leave it in there.

The thought came up the other day, I picked up a pistol then stopped at a gas station. I had no where on my person to keep it as I didn't also pick up a holster or anything and it wasn't going to fit in my pocket in a nice way. It wasn't a huge deal, I was just thinking I should really have something for such a situation. I like to be prepared. I just put it behind the back seat and locked the tailgate. I have a hi-lift and a bunch of other stuff back there so getting to it would be highly annoying but not impossible.

Top Bottom