Guns from "big box stores", Rural King, Big R, etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I didn't want to start anything, but after a google search turned up nothing, curiosity got to me and I want to ask. I was told that guns sold at some of these stores are of lesser quality, factory "seconds", "blems", etc. I can't find anything supporting that, and would like to know! :dunno:

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    In years gone by I know for a fact Walmart would order guns made to their specs. I bought a fausti over and under 20ga grade 2. When I got home I ran a box through it then read the manual. The manual indicated that grade 1 was a blue receiver and no ejectors, grade 2 was silver receiver and ejectors. I had the silver receiver but only lifters no ejectors. I call fausti customer service and explained the problem. The first question was, "Where did you buy the gun? Walmart?" I told her that she was right but how did she know? The cs rep explained that Walmart ordered a number of grade 2 guns with no ejectors to lower the cost. She went on to explain walmart was the only retailer who got that kind of deal. So watch 'em.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I bought an 870 from Rual King. It doesn't get used a ton, but with around 100 rounds through it, it hasn't batted an eye. Take it for what it's worth.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    In years gone by I know for a fact Walmart would order guns made to their specs. I bought a fausti over and under 20ga grade 2. When I got home I ran a box through it then read the manual. The manual indicated that grade 1 was a blue receiver and no ejectors, grade 2 was silver receiver and ejectors. I had the silver receiver but only lifters no ejectors. I call fausti customer service and explained the problem. The first question was, "Where did you buy the gun? Walmart?" I told her that she was right but how did she know? The cs rep explained that Walmart ordered a number of grade 2 guns with no ejectors to lower the cost. She went on to explain walmart was the only retailer who got that kind of deal. So watch 'em.

Wonder if you could have pushed the issue to have it replaced under warranty for misleading advertising? After all, if you are buying a grade 2, and EVERYTHING lists specs you want but when you get it home you discover not all of those advertised specs are on the gun, you didn't get what you purchased. Is no different than buying a car with a V8 and after the first oil change you discover it's really got a V6. Too late to take it back (guns are not returnable typically).

Personally I would have pushed for a replacement of the gun under warranty if it wasn't what was in all the published materials.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Wonder if you could have pushed the issue to have it replaced under warranty for misleading advertising? After all, if you are buying a grade 2, and EVERYTHING lists specs you want but when you get it home you discover not all of those advertised specs are on the gun, you didn't get what you purchased. Is no different than buying a car with a V8 and after the first oil change you discover it's really got a V6. Too late to take it back (guns are not returnable typically).

Personally I would have pushed for a replacement of the gun under warranty if it wasn't what was in all the published materials.

Gotta tell you I wasn't really too happy but it looked like an uphill battle. The cs gal sounded like I was not the only guy who was confused (pronounce conned). They probably could have slipped the hook by saying I got the wrong manual instead of the wrong gun.... I never did like walmart anyway.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    No they get the same guns as everyone else IF its the exact same model. That "grade 2" probably wasn't the actual model number, it was probably fsoug2wm or something vs fsoug2. It's an exclusive model that may have more or less features than a standard one, different features, different finish, sights, additional or fewer accessories etc. But the gun store myth of big boxs getting cheaper made or factory seconds of the exact same model is garbage.

tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside
    I purchased a IAC Hawk (870 clone) from Rural King and its done its job as a corner sitter, paid less than 200 and its heavy enough to absorb some recoil and it has ghost ring sights so I'm happy with it. The furniture is a little cheaper and the trigger guard is plastic but that's about the only difference.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It used to be called an old wives tale. Now it is called an internet rumor, which gives it more umph in some people's minds.

BOTA56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Columbia City
    My question is, Why would reputable companies lower the standards of their products to put them on the shelves of "big box" stores... I think it's all bs. You think that a gun manufacturer would take the risk of lowering the standards of their product knowing that someone could potentially get hurt or killed, or just putting out a ****ty item? That's not how you make a good name for yourself as a manufacture.. Just my 2 cents.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    No they get the same guns as everyone else IF its the exact same model. That "grade 2" probably wasn't the actual model number, it was probably fsoug2wm or something vs fsoug2. It's an exclusive model that may have more or less features than a standard one, different features, different finish, sights, additional or fewer accessories etc. But the gun store myth of big boxs getting cheaper made or factory seconds of the exact same model is garbage.

This sounds right. I'm sure the big box stores like Walmart and Lowes can work deals with manufacturers to package and/or reconfigure an items for whatever marketing means they deem necessary. But I doubt any reputable gun manufacturer would willingly sell known substandard product.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    My question is, Why would reputable companies lower the standards of their products to put them on the shelves of "big box" stores... I think it's all bs. You think that a gun manufacturer would take the risk of lowering the standards of their product knowing that someone could potentially get hurt or killed, or just putting out a ****ty item? That's not how you make a good name for yourself as a manufacture.. Just my 2 cents.

Why would a reputable gun manuf. even want their product in a box store like Walmart, Rural King, KMart (in the past), etc.?

Hell Remington makes a turd every other year it seems that requires a recall or public safety announcement, they don't need the help of wally world to hurt their name

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I heard it was just cosmetic defects, not as good of a finish, etc., nothing dangerous. But I too, wonder if a reputable manufacturer would do that. I just want to know what I'm paying for...just like I want labeling on food to tell me what's in it, so I can make an informed decision.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I heard it was just cosmetic defects, not as good of a finish, etc., nothing dangerous. But I too, wonder if a reputable manufacturer would do that. I just want to know what I'm paying for...just like I want labeling on food to tell me what's in it, so I can make an informed decision.

Like Seldon mentioned above...I'd carefully check the actual model number of comparable items. I've seen what he's talking about before--not on guns but with electronics or hardware. If they did make a certain "price point" grade item, there'd surely be a slight difference in the model number of the item. Personally, assuming those identical items have identical model numbers, I'd buy with confidence.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Why would a reputable gun manuf. even want their product in a box store like Walmart, Rural King, KMart (in the past), etc.?

Hell Remington makes a turd every other year it seems that requires a recall or public safety announcement, they don't need the help of wally world to hurt their name

:n00b:I don't know, maybe to sell mass amounts of their products to customers who have money and want to buy?

Last edited:

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I have a friend that works for Pepsi here in Indianapolis. He is a Sales rep of some sort. He told me that WalMart DICTATES the price they pay for Pepsi or they will not put it on their shelves. There are 3200+ Super Centers in the United States. So if you say 1/2 of those sell guns that is 1600. So when WalMart as a whole orders one style of shotgun/rifle for each store that is 1600 guns. My guess is they get a HUGE price break compared to your LGS that orders 1 or 2 at a time. That is why they can offer a way lower price without all the follow up you would expect from a LGS. I can't in anyway see how they would buy a "lesser quality" firearm. The liability alone would bankrupt them in the eyes of the public and the courtroom alike. I remember hearing this about the John Deere tractors that Home Depot sells being lesser quality than those at a Deere Dealer. If you look harder they are actually sold by the local Deere Dealer at Home Depot. -Jason

PS- Rual King has a bodyguard with Lazer in their ad for 329 way cheaper than I can get with a deal at a LGS. But I like buying local from a local store and getting all that comes with it. -Jason

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    A lot of generic brands are actually name brand things dumped in a black and white box. That way the manufacturer hits both markets. At big box stores they actually put the brand name stuff in generic boxes back into brand name boxes to make it cheaper.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I do not think it is legal to sell a known model of any merchandise with less features then is normally provided. However almost all major retailers do purchase items to spec. Often, as has been posted the model number will not state that is is the same as "known" models available elsewhere, additional numbers or letters are often added to the number stamped on the item and the packaging.

The practice of changing model numbers has been occurring for many years. Sears, Walmart and other large retailers do this often. When you attempt to "price match" an item they will tell you "This is not the same model". I saw this practice more than 50 years ago! It really pays to pay attention to both the model number and features - as has been often stated "Buyer beware". But not I do not believe RK or any other vendor is selling seconds or blems without telling you!

Top Bottom