• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay T.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Gunsite 3 Day Pistol May 15-17 and September 11-13, 2009

This course will cover the Modern Technique, speed reloads vs. tactical reloads, malfunction clearance, pivots and turns, barricades, tactical guidelines and low light techniques. There is a night shoot on TD2. This course is an excellent introduction to defensive hangunning, and like the carbine course is frequently attended by repeat students seeking to maintain their skills. This course is approved by the Indiana Law Enforcement Training Board for LE training credit.

Where: Boone County Sheriff's Range, Lebanon, Indiana

Cost: $650

Equpment: Handgun and magazines, mag pouches, holster, sturdy belt, ear and eye protection, and a bright handheld flashlight.

Ammo: Approximately 800 rounds.

To register contact:

Training Coordinator
    Gunsite Academy
    2900 W. Gunsite Rd.
    Paulden, AZ 86334
    (928) 636-4565
    www.gunsite.com

For more information email Ken Campbell at kcampbell@co.boone.in.us or Jay Tuttle at
    jtuttle@co.boone.in.us

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    BTW, anyone considering this should just pony up and do it!

Jay's night shoot and tactical light lecture is great!

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    Does the class focus on all around type shooting scenarios or more CCW type? For instance I normally carry a Glock 27, would I be more wise to bring that instead of one of my Glock 22's that I don't normally carry. I see on GunSite's website that some of the courses has prerequisites; does this one? Any restrictions on ammo? I know some places make you buy the ammo from them 800 rounds can get pricey.

Lastly is there any type of LEO or buddy system type discount? I would really like to attend a class like this if I can get somebody else to join me.

Jay T.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    This class is about fighting with a pistol. It begins with fundamentals, then, using a building block approach, adds layers until we're performing fairly complex tasks with a reasonable degree of proficiency in a fairly short period of time.

Your Glock 27 will be fine. We had a guy do this course with a Makarov and Wolf ammo, and both shooter and pistol ran without a hitch. There are two schools of thought on this. One is to bring a gun you're very comfortable with so you can focus on absorbing what is being taught without having to worry about the pistol. The other is to bring what you are carrying, or plan to carry, even though it may not be what you're most familiar with. Each approach has it's advantages.

There are no prerequisites for this class. With regard to ammo, if it's reliable and runs in your gun, it's fine with us.

As far as I know, there are no LE or other discounts for these classes. Those sorts of issues, along with registration, are handled by the 'Home Office'.

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    Guys,this was one of the highlights of 2008 for me and my brother...I can't recommend it highly enough! Ken, Jay, and Dave (our instructors) were terrific teachers and even finer men.

It is best to take the gun you carry as you will practice presenting the weapon from holster several hundred times. You will focus on foundations of gun fighting and everyone from beginners to full time LEOs will take something away from the course. You are responsible for bringing your own ammo and you gun needs to be of a sufficient self-defense caliber (9mm, .40, and 45 are most common...with a little ribbing for everyone who has last than a .45). I think we went through about 650 rounds.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    1. The offsite Gunsite classes at Boone Co. are recommended without reservation by this pachyderm.
    2. Sheriff Ken and Jay T are recommended without reservation by this pachyderm.
    3. This pachyderm wishes to welcome Jay T to our little community!

As far as which gun to take/use with respect the Glock 27 vs. Glock 22, my answer is "yes." Just take them both. For one thing, one might break and having a second gun ready will come in handy. Second, they both function the exact same way and have the same controls. What you learn with one will be the same as the other, they'll just a feel a little different in your hand after you push the bang switch. Third, you'll be doing this for three days and it might make sense to try both during different parts of the class. You may learn that you really should carry the G22 instead, or you may learn that you shoot the G27 better (which is actually possible), and it's a better carry gun for you, or you may decide that you want to carry both of them all the time (which is a good idea).

The key thing isn't to get bogged down in details like which Glock to use. The key thing is to make the commitment to yourself to attend the class and then do it. As long as it's reliable, what brand/model you shoot is almost trivial compared to all of the things you will learn. These classes are more about software and squishyware, not so much about hardware.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    My wife and I are both wanting to take this class, it will probably be the Sept. one though as $1300 has sprouted on my money tree yet.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    csaws you won't be disappointed. Going with someone makes the weekend that much better. We took the last September class and the weather was excellent.

INrange

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2008
    I'd like to be there, but I probably wont have the funds. Does Gunsite offer any other courses in Indiana?

Jay T.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    At the moment, it's only pistol and carbine. We've had some requests for a Close Quarters Pistol class, but I don't know if there's sufficient interest to justify it. Gunsite can put together custom classes, tailored to the students' requirements (within the limitations of the facility), provided student minimums are met. We do this all the time at The Ranch with groups that have been training together annually for years. If there is something enough folks here would like to see added to the Indiana schedule, we can probably make it happen.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hi. I came across this thread tonight. I'm interested in the pistol class in Sept. I sure would like to see a weekday class.

I live on the NE side of Indy. It's about 30 miles to the site. What are the hours needed each day?

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    Just another unsolicited plug for these guys. It was probably '05 or '06 when I took this course, and I would highly recommend it. In fact I should be there for refresher myself!

I would still like to get to "The Ranch" but haven't yet. The training by (then Capt.) Ken and Jay is worth more than the money.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I've heard alot about this range, the Boone County Conservation league. Can anyone give me a contact phone number so I can call and discuss becoming a member? Thanks.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've heard alot about this range, the Boone County Conservation league. Can anyone give me a contact phone number so I can call and discuss becoming a member? Thanks.

This is not a public range.

This is the Boone County Sheriff's Department range, and the classes are hosted by the Sheriff himself, Ken Campbell.

For more information email Ken Campbell at kcampbell@co.boone.in.us or Jay Tuttle at
    jtuttle@co.boone.in.us

Top Bottom